Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,282 Posts
And gl.......... I would bet there are not too many of us left who remember boolean algebra! Or Pascal, fortran, cobol.......etc!
I got really good with Basic, started out with the Tandy all in one keyboard and TV monitor, and that extremely fast, 300 baud mag tape reel drive :)

I learned machine code on my own, using the very first Motorola MEK D2 kit with a 6800 cpu, it was blessed with a Hex Keypad and Hex Display.... you read your program out one machine byte at a time.

then when we moved to Cedar Crest, I signed up at the university to learn C++ and that lasted about six weeks when my job transferred me again :(

ended up in Phx Fire Depart as an IT tech taking care of the fire apparatus laptops, GPS receivers, and the fire station computer setup that rang the bells, turned on the lights, and opened the doors....
the 911 call center was in our department, I hated that part of the job, stayed out in the field most of the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, I remember the red barn. As a heavy equipment operator in nm. Most of my work was performed in the Albuquerque area.i hope you dont mind if I follow you gl. You seem to be my kinda guy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh my goodness my first processor was an 8086 ! Sun systems. Cant hardly sign in now but used to could change the value of 2!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,282 Posts
Yes, I remember the red barn. As a heavy equipment operator in nm. Most of my work was performed in the Albuquerque area.i hope you dont mind if I follow you gl. You seem to be my kinda guy!
Absolutely,
give me call right now if it is not too late.

918........... 6...1...3............9.............5..........tharee............zaro

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got really good with Basic, started out with the Tandy all in one keyboard and TV monitor, and that extremely fast, 300 baud mag tape reel drive :)

I learned machine code on my own, using the very first Motorola MEK D2 kit with a 6800 cpu, it was blessed with a Hex Keypad and Hex Display.... you read your program out one machine byte at a time.

then when we moved to Cedar Crest, I signed up at the university to learn C++ and that lasted about six weeks when my job transferred me again :(

ended up in Phx Fire Depart as an IT tech taking care of the fire apparatus laptops, GPS receivers, and the fire station computer setup that rang the bells, turned on the lights, and opened the doors....
the 911 call center was in our department, I hated that part of the job, stayed out in the field most of the time.

Hmm, we had to lift the doors on the fire hall to get the trucks out. retired volunteer fire fighter here. We did have a fancy 5 button combo lock on the door that we all knew how to operate to get in.😬

Oh, something about tents, i like the Eureka brand. And as far as sleeping pads go, thicker is not always better. Bought a fancy 3 1/2” thick 1, only to fall off of it all night long. And it was on the ground. It sucked.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My dad used to guide bear hunts when I was a kid. Naturally I was in charge of packing the mules and saddling the dudes horses. While they slept in a cot heated by a stove in a twelve man tent I slept on the frozen march nm ground. Never was so glad to get back to skewl!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ah, the old "You're in the lap of luxury as long as someone nearby is more miserable than you" bear guide trick.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh thumper! I laughed till I nearly spilt grandma's rumahtiz medicine. I bet you defend your castle with a suspended 90 lbs wieght!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey Thumper, what's up with the 35 mph handle bar shake? Would have never noticed it if some fool wouldn't have suggested a handle bar release. Usually the only time I take both hands off the grips is if my heads on fire and my [email protected]@ is catching. Someone installed a super brace but I can staple wings on a tuna. 2008 viiia model 1800 gl. Wisdom please.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
All hail Tamathumper! I recently awoke from a nap and found my former aversion to nm spring bear hunt had been cured. His carolinian wisdom demands a faithful flock of disciples. I hear he has cookies.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Take the largest tent you can manage within reason.
No one has ever said..."this tent has too much room".

Reactions: tamathumper
21 - 32 of 32 Posts