Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

During October of 1977, my little Honda Z50 was born. It looked pretty much like this.

For many years, it belonged to an untold number of people, until an afternoon in the fall of '95. I saw a fellow with 2 bikes in the back of a trailer, looked to be headed for the flea market.

After some quick negotiations, the little Z was loaded into my pickup truck, and $125 went missing from my pocket.

Took it home, threw some fuel in the tank and kicked it over - putt-putt-putt-putt!

In 1996, the little Z went enduro racing. Conditions on the trail were loose, dry sand, perfect for the only flotation tire machine in the field!

Over the years, my daughter moved up to bigger machines, so the little Z became pit transport. A Japan market-only rack was picked up courtesy of Ebay, a small seat was made, and bicycle stunt pegs on the rear axle acted as passenger pegs.

Soon my youngest was ready to ride, and a set of training wheels was made.

But the first ride was a disaster, a crash scared the fool out of her, no injuries, but we decided to wait a long time before trying again, when she was expert act riding a bicycle and no training wheels would be needed.

At a recent cycle club get together, there was a PW50...

Time to spruce up the little Z. Dropped in a chinese clone motor, and all the fun of redesigning a modern exhaust to fit an ancient frame. A bit of black paint here and there, and it was time for the show.

Velocity Red, a Mazda color, was picked. It is a reasonable match to Tahitian Red, but with a very small grained orange pearl that explodes in good light, without overpowering the small parts and looking like a miniature bass boat. Some new sticker, grips, and a bit more polish, but it is almost done!

Oughta be good for another 31 years!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Cool story...

I have a honda 70 three wheeler. Bought it brand new for my daughters back in the early 80's. I have started stripping it down to restore and get back to running but, now money has gotten really tight and it just sits amongst it's big sisters on my back porch.

I'm dying to surprise my seven year old grandson one day when he visits.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Truth in advertising! I seem to remember ads - Honda claimed you would have a lot of fun and they've delivered. Nice work!

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I'm curious as to what happened to the original Honda 50 engine. Those things, like the 90s, seem to run forever unless they are really abused!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The original engine wore out. I came upon a deal for the clone engine cheaper than the replacement parts to rebuild the old engine.

Because I am so happy with the 200cc clone engine in one of my dirtbikes, it was a no-brainer.

Besides, the clone 50cc has an electric start and full charging system.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

Good to see old bikes saved from the junk pile. Last year I saved 2 old CT90s with bad engines by putting in Lifan 110s. The whole engine with carb, ignition, regulator, etc., was $200. IMO they are much better engines than the Honda originals.

I also have a 200cc Lifan dual sport motorcycle that I like a lot. Very cheap too.

Q

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I dropped a Lifan 200cc into an XR200 chassis. My daughter {same one pictured above!} ran an enduro season with it, placing 2nd in Womens Novice.

I use the bike now for enduro arrowing duties and playing. I have tried without success to blow the motor up.

I'm not crazy about the chinese bikes, but the powerplants have been bulletproof for me so far.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

A friend gave me a 1999 XR70 for my 8 yo for Christmas, I had to clean out the carb, and a little paint work on the plastics. Thanks to Tanygaer's helpful hints, and the carb cleaning.....put fresh gas and a little seafoam in the tank, kicked it about 3 times and the little bugger came to life!! Santa is bringing him a nice new motocross helmet and riding boots:shock:....Dad's gotta pay Santa big for those!! I hope he gets some good enjoyment out of it, I know he loves to ride on the wing with me:)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Not to hijack the thread but just wanted to let OB1 know that the tie down eye bolts on my hauling trailer are now welded closed. My brother redid the damaged tongue and hitch for me last weekend, replaced the old 2" hitch with a new 1 7/8's he had on the shelf. Now everything is setup for 1 7/8" so I don't have to change out balls all the time on the vehicles.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
imported post

I though I had the only Z50 left. I got it in 79 from an estate sale and have used it 5 times since. I like that I can fold down the bars and it will stand in the trunk of my car resting on it's kickstand with one tiedown and still close the trunk. What fun I have had with mine over the years. I got it to use on my motorhome when we go out. Somehow it just nevers makes the trips with us anymore but I have a great story about it.

I had an old crown bus coach that had been turned into a motorhome a few years ago that we use to travel like nomads in the desert from camp to camp. Well this bus had a lot use even before I had got it and it had not been maintained as it should have been. So one summer we were going up north to Newport Or. and on Grants Pass the old bus blew out an oil line and lost all of it's oil and then shut down. I craweled under the bus and found the broken line. Pulled it off and rode the Z50 into town about 8 miles away got an oil line built for it and returned to the bus. Got the line installed and found out I had only two quarts of oil with me. Now if you don't know this bus holds 13 galons of oil, so I was a bit short to say the least. So I rode back to town on this small bike and got 4 cases of oil to take to the bus. Yes I took all 4 cases on the bike with me and set off. I had folks shouting at me and honking, waving,and even a family who stoped up the road so there kids could run next to me and take there pic. with me still riding the bike with the oil. I looked like a monkey humping a football. I can still see me doing this and it's been over 25 years.

Folks this is something I will remember as long as I live and to tell you the truth it's a memory I never can forget, no mater how hard I try, and don't want to forget. These are the kind of momets we all have and cherish.

Well thats my memory of one of the times I rode my Z50. Only rode her a few times but what fun I had when I did ride her. Still have it out in back all covered up and could never get rid of it. I have allways drained the fuel out and once every two or three years I start her up. Never had any problem getting it fired up. I have changed the oil once since 79 but it mostly sits unused. When I do get her going only two or three kicks to get her running even though I dont mantain her. I had the throtle stick the last time and just sprayed a bit of wd-40 in there and was good to go. I hope she will still start up next time.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

First bike I ever rode! My neighbors bought two used ones in 1970. After a month of my whining my dad took me out and bought a new CT70 for my tenth birthday. Mom didn't know until we got home.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

The mini-trail 50 was the first bike with gears that I rode too. A friend in our small farm town had one and let me ride it. Great fun that bike was. It's a pretty popular collectors item still.

Thanks for the stories guys!

John

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

My daughter was given a trophy for youngest ride in contestant with this one. I hauled it to the Branson Motorcycle Rally but made her ride it into the show.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I was painting a Lincoln Navigator today, with a really sweet 3 stage metallic cream color...boy that would make a fine 2-tone on top of the red I just shot...

Pix when done.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

I still have my 1974 Honda XR 75 that my dad bought for me. That little bike has taught more people how to ridethan I can count. We have used it for years at the drag races to pull the dragbike and run around the pits. You can't kill that little tank. I plan on a ground up restoration on this spring. I'll post the picks.

My first geared bike was the infamous Honda Trail 70.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.