Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi there. A recently purchased 95 1500 came with a trailer hitch but no drawbar. I purchased a drawbar from Wal-Mart but it won't fit as the pin hole won't line up. There is an angle iron running across the back of the receiver so the drawbar cannot be pushed any further toward the front of the bike.
This is puzzling for me. What to do? I can possibly cut the drawbar the needed 1/4", and really don't think that cutting the angle iron behind the receiver is a good idea. I have looked at other pictures of GL1500 trailer hitches and cannot see where they have an angle iron brace across the back of the receiver.
Thoughts and comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

My receiver was too long as well, for my liking. I just cut it off and drilled a new hole. Seems like all you would have to do is cut it off to your liking and use existing hole

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,908 Posts
imported post

If the hole would line up when you trim some off the back, go for it.

For no more load than that hitch has to pull, you only need a couple of inches on the drawbar.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

hmm. "trimming" 1 1/4" of solid steel won't be so easy. so be it.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Take your hitch to your local mfg shop and have them use their power hacksaw to cut off the needed stock and there you go....

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I did mine with a reciprocating saw/sawzall in about 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

dustin neal rose wrote:
I did mine with a reciprocating saw/sawzall in about 5 minutes.
Good idea I hadn't thought of. I do have a sawzall with a brand new metal blade. I just found it odd that a standard drawbar won't fit into the receiver.:?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Nothing is "standard" when it comes to a Honda!LOL I used an old chop saw with an abrasive metal blade, and it zipped right through! The wood dust started smouldering though! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Ah yes...so I find out. I used my sawzall last night and removed the necessary 1/4" from the drawbar and all is well. Now I can test out my new HF Tag-a-long trailer!:clapper:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.