Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there Wing riders. I have a question about using a rack that inserts in your hitch for carrying a small cooler or more storage.. Has anybody ever had problems with the stress it puts on the hitch itself? I'm sure the more weight you put on it will eventually start to take it's toll. Any idea what the weight rating would be for a standard gold wing hitch? I have a 98 SE and the pipes are at the same plane as the hitch so if I bought a rack it would have to be higher than the pipes or it would fry anything directly behind them. Surely cant go too high without covering the lights and license plate . If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Where could I find good light rack and one that would be higher than the pipes. Thanks ... Kevin.... Like new 98 SE w only 16k miles on her. I just got it in april and had 9k then.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Any wight you put onto the hitch has to be added to the total load weight. Any amount of weight (like a cooler/trunk) that far back on the rear will cause some dangerous handling issues. ie: Front becomes too light/ change in steering geometry.

My guess is that with a fully loaded bike, plus rider & passenger you are already over the bikes load weight limit.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

one of my buddyss I ride with has a rack for his golf clubs on his 1800 iI'hv herd no complaints of handeling problems, his name is big ugly, pm him and ask

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i have a rackfor my '95 interstate i use it once & a while. when i ordered it i didn't think about how low it was just sticking straight out the back & i have a nack of scraping the bottom pulling in & out of driveways if i'm not carefull of the enterance & exit angles to minimize how much the bike tips back on the incline. the info i found at the time i got it was same rules as for trailor tounge that you shouldn't exeed about 40 pounds. i had put about 60 pounds for short distances a couple times & didn't like how much the rear saged with theat much weight but i have used it to carry sleeping bag, pillow, & plastic for camping (probally 20 pounds or less for a 700 mile trip & had no issues with the light load.

i had found a guy custom building them on ebay when i got mine, just do a search for motocycle trailer hitch racks.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Forum member 1 of U builds these, and has sold several on ebay. He's the only forum member I've met in person so far, enjoyed seeing his bike and shop-built racks. He makes the single rack, a fold-up rack, and a double rack, which he showcased here in a thread and asked for opinions. His racks are made to suit depth and width to suit certain coolers, etc. In that thread, most comments seemed to say that hiding the license plate, as some do on occasion, was rarely a problem for the biker. 1 of U also custom-builds bike hitches themselves to fit specific bike setups. His prices were all lower than brand name items.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I have a luggage rack that clamps up onto the ball hitch when needed. I find it is very useful for a few extra bits when not towing a trailer. Do make sure if you get one, that you don't load it up too much, or you may affect the handling, but a few light items in a bag or box should be fine. If you think about the stresses and strains that a trailer puts on a rack when you are braking, accelerating etc. I doubt a lightly loaded rack would make any difference to a hitch and it's integrity.

As regards the lights and licence plate, you can get a small trailer board and fit this behind the rack should the load obscure the ones on the bike.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
imported post

Hi Wingboomer,

I made one (3 for friends) out of aluminum. it holds a 36 qt cooler and the only thingI would say is I would have made it set a little higher (1" - 2" higher) because it hits driveway curbs when you pullout sometimes. As for handling I've had no problem with it as long as you don't over load it. I just put clothes in it and sometimes a beer or two for picnics. I makes it nice when you don't a trailer to use.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for response to my ?? about the hitch rack. I'll keep lookin for one, I have until next june before we go down to Jackson hole for a 10 day trip.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

The one you see in my sig is from cyclemaxohio.com. As long as I don't put over 20# on it, I don't even notice that it's back there.

The insert is on plane with the SE exhaust, and that puts the rack itself right above plane.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I made one.. bought a reciever hitch from autozone and welded a square frame on it with some grating... worx great :waving: only spent about $25 total

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
I made one.. bought a reciever hitch from autozone and welded a square frame on it with some grating... worx great :waving: only spent about $25 total
Blimey Diggers old chap, you sure splashed out on that rack :shock::(Isn't that more than you spent on building your first trailer?????? :dude::dude::cooldevil:

What happened to your $11.00 ceiling on things. :baffled::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
DigbyODell wrote:
Blimey Diggers old chap, you sure splashed out on that rack :shock::(Isn't that more than you spent on building your first trailer?????? :dude::dude::cooldevil:

What happened to your $11.00 ceiling on things. :baffled::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
If I remember.. it was close to that that I spent :cooldevil: The reciever hitch was around $20... than you add the price of other materials... I estimated the $25 :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.