Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I ain't never put on a trailer hitch before, or wired one up either....but now I have!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

test run........

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

He's off....sort of.....like a thundering herd!

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

"Hope I don't kill myself......," he says, not jokingly.... "Is the damn thing still back there?"

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

"Honey, I'm home! And alive!" He says, wonderingly......

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

"Well," he says, cautiously. "It ain't too bad, and the bed will sure be nice! Let's go somewhere!"

(Seriously, not too bad...must anticipate more, and smooth out your corners and lane adjustments.....braking seems about the same. Tongue weight, as near as I can calculate it, is about 27-28 pounds empty. If we pack it lightly, and not give into the temptation of making it into Noah's ark, we should be okay. And it will add some years to our camping life....when I paint the bike, I'll paint it to match. We already have a new top cover.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
61,458 Posts
imported post

Darn what every happen to getting up at 12 and peeing in the moon light.........

·
Joe in Modesto
30 Posts
imported post

hey Mel. I just finished my first hitch install on my GL1800. I got it used from a member on another board. I have the isolating harness from EC but have not had time to install it yet.

You have a lot of great areas up there to enjoy that trailer. Good luck and happy camping.

Joe in Modesto

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Darn what every happen to getting up at 12 and peeing in the moon light.........
I'll still do my nocturnal "getting in touch with the earth-mother," Foodie! I'll just do it standing up like a natural man, naked, won't even have to put on my shoes to....be peeing out of the trailer door!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Jomamma1 wrote:
hey Mel. I just finished my first hitch install on my GL1800. I got it used from a member on another board. I have the isolating harness from EC but have not had time to install it yet.

You have a lot of great areas up there to enjoy that trailer. Good luck and happy camping.

Joe in Modesto
Thanks, friend! I know you have the isolator from EC, but do you have a wiring harness yet? This guy makes up a "plug and play" wiring harness for the 1800. Dale Conyers. He's also written up some good traveling guides for motorcycles... Good luck on your installation! Ours seems to work fine.....

http://www.motorcycletrailerstore.com/

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Mel, while I wish you would have bought my GL1200, I think it was logical to do what you have done instead of purchasing ANOTHER project. Besides, it will give me something to do this winter.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

You look good with that set up CJ. A bike riding pro like you should have no problems towing that trailer cross country and back. I think with 2 up and a few things in the saddle bags you will equal out the weight in the back of the bike to better match the weigh of what you are towing

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack, can you still see out of those mirrors? It appears that the mirrors and the top of the trailer is about the same height. When cruising down the road, does the roof covering raise much due to the wind uplift?

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Damn, the trailers is bigger then the bike.:action::action::action: But now you have more

luggage room then the miata. Now you will be able to stay out on the road as long as Dusty does.

Good luck and enjoy( as I am sure you will)

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

It looks great Mel!All that is left is taking it on the road and using it. Take lots of pics!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

Now that we know it's "706 Douglas RD/ST/AVE/Blvd/LN" we can come borrow the trailer. If you and Red are still planning on a trip to Europe, you can really do it up in style!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
Cousin Jack, can you still see out of those mirrors?  It appears that the mirrors and the top of the trailer is about the same height.  When cruising down the road, does the roof covering raise much due to the wind uplift?
No! As a matter of fact, I not only can't see out of my OEMs, I also can't see out of the supplemental mirrors I bought so I could see over a bag on the back! Very perceptive of you, Pete!

The OEM mirrors on an ST1300 are great....for keeping your hands warm! But they are useless for anything else..... I can see my side lanes perfectly, but not directly behind; I'm on the hunt for a bar-mounted mirror, which should solve the problem....

·
Premium Member
61,458 Posts
imported post

here ya go

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Mel, hitch weight should not be an issue.

Get a fish weight scale to weight the tongue.

You can load that camper up and never change the tongue weight.

It has no ill effect on handling and causes no swaying of trailer.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Next thing you know, you'll be installing a durned GPS unit. :byebye:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Foodman wrote:
I'll still do my nocturnal "getting in touch with the earth-mother," Foodie! I'll just do it standing up like a natural man, naked, won't even have to put on my shoes to....be peeing out of the trailer door!
CJ .... you could always attach a funnel to length of clear vinyl tubing and run that outside. Then you could stand up inside the trailer, pee and have it drain outside, so you wouldn't need to open the door and let the rain, or biting insects inside! ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.