Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across several shots of Exavid and myself with Hobo. Got me to thinking, that was quite a phenomenon till 11-27-2015, as that thread just died on that post. Got me to thinking, where he be? Anyone know? So many of those members who handled him have gone by-bye. :crying2:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ok, curiosity is killing me.

Fill in us newcomers (even if I did join back in '13 I wasn't too active until recently) - who or what was/is Hobo???

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the thread referred to in the "similar threads" list below.
Very cool. Apparently Hobo was last seen in North Carolina from what I can tell.
I wonder what happened to him.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Sad to see all the early pictures are missing in that thread.
I'm guessing they were lost when big corp took over the website?
Damn bureaucrats.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
yeah,

when big corp took over, they saw fit to just rename all of the forums without asking us...
that of course, broke every link that I had in my bookmarks....
links that I had been saving for 8 years, and we lost all of the gallery pictures, they just didn't bother to save them.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
Ok, curiosity is killing me.

Fill in us newcomers (even if I did join back in '13 I wasn't too active until recently) - who or what was/is Hobo???

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the thread referred to in the "similar threads" list below.
Very cool. Apparently Hobo was last seen in North Carolina from what I can tell.
I wonder what happened to him.

Hobo is a small toy bear, who gets to ride with a new attendee of NASR every year.
If you are on Facebook, he shows up there once in a while.

I am trying to remember who got him this last time, I think it was one of the Canadians.... Bob and Anita ???

there used to be a thread for him, but I can't find it right now. NASR is now hosted on the NAGF forum. we moved it there to get away from big corp who refused to help us host the rally. they simply don't give a damn.

·
Just one of the guys
4,796 Posts
Hobo was in Indiana at NASR, Carl now has him. He was in the mystery box at the auction.

I just wish Hobo once again would become the travel bug he was originally designed to be.

Seems like people get him and keep him for a year or so when he was supposed to be shown around your local area then you set up a meet with someone near you and pass him on. If that was done he could pass through 3 or 4 people in a seasons riding.

Reactions: flylow and AZgl1800

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
Doug,
I agree with you, we need to be passing Hobo on to folks that we know will take him traveling, ala, Ken Ventress... but he has done that several time already.

I am not a good candidate, because of my lack being a big traveler.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, BIG corp ruined about every site they touched, and are touching. Sure lost a lot of good faithful members. :(

·
Just one of the guys
4,796 Posts
I am pretty sure Galaxyhunter (Carl) has him.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Im game Dennis. I can do Oregon, Idaho.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
So, does anybody know where he/it is right now?

We could set up a relay route all around the country pretty easily.
The folks at sohc4.net* did exactly that back in 2011. In fact, my avatar is SOHC's equivalent of Hobo (named GZ). In one riding season, GZ touched all 48 continuous states, and several Canadian provinces. He logged 22K miles, then was mailed to Europe and then Australia for shorter tours. We've done annual tours and get togethers in the US since then, but nothing as grand as the relay in 2011.

*SOHC4 = Single Over Head Cam 4's = Honda CBs (350, 400, 500, 550, 650 & 750) from 1969-1982

Updates: Here are threads on the 2011 tour. If ur serious about an all-state Hobo tour, here’s An idea of what it will take... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/board,125.0.html

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
It's the ride to Hawaii that's going to be challenging. :wink2:
Senator Booker says you can drive from New Jersey to Hawaii....

During the all-night Senate speech about climate change, Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., said he drove to Hawaii as a teenager.

"I just do want to say that right after I turned 17 and got my New Jersey driver's license, one of the earliest places I drove was a trip — the only trip I have ever taken was to Hawaii," he said on the floor at about 3:00 a.m.

"You didn't drive to Hawaii," Sen. Martin Heinrich, D-N.M., said, correcting the freshman senator.

·
Administrator
22,398 Posts
The real challenge would be fuel, wouldn't it? Let's see...

200 miles per 5 gallon tank (leaving the .8 gal. cushion) I would need to carry an extra how many 5 gallon containers?

The answer; from L.A., 12.5, so rounding up 13, 5 gallon containers, and hopefully there won't be a lot of head wind. The up side is, traffic should be light.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well Hobo has been found!
I'm making arrangements to pick him up and bring him to Wisconsin in another week or two.

But I have some... ahhh... Disturbing news.
Hobo seems to have defected over to the North American Goldwings Forum.
There are updates and photos there from 2017 and a couple from 2018.
I'm guessing that happened when big corp swallowed up this forum. Simple conjecture on my part and perhaps a bit presumptuous but it's the only idea that comes to mind right away.

At least we know he's still alive and kicking. Er, I mean riding.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
I think I already mentioned that, if not, I should have.
Hobo is part of the NASR summer rally events, and NASR has been moved away from this forum simply because Big Corp totally ignored my requests to support it.

The NASSIR 9 rally in Sioux Falls was the last one hosted on this forum.

Glad you found Hobo, and are going to see that he has a joyous riding experience.
Please try to keep him sober, he has a history of hiccups.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
I have Hobo at this present time. Unfortunately, this has been a bad year for me in terms of riding. I'm in the middle of my house rehab project. I have Hobo out a couple of times. David has contacted me & making arrangements to hand him off.

Reactions: AZgl1800
1 - 20 of 26 Posts