Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Bike was running really well then all of a sudden the tail light warning came on and the bike stalled. I had to jump it because there was no response to the key. No lights, no start. just dead . I got back home, about thirty miles, but had to keep the rpms up, the tach jumped around, the engine ran rough and the warning light stayed on except briefly at the end when the rpms fell to idle and it basically died in the driveway. I don't even begin to know where to start with a completely dead machine!! Help?? Thanx RJM

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
imported post

Look for a loose or coroded battery connection. If the battery checks ok, look to the stator for testing. Sorry to have to welcome you to the forum in this situation... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

hello,

check the dog bone fuse, and wiring to the starter solenoid, they are situated to the
right of the battery.

the fuse might look ok, unscrew it to check it, mine feel apart when I touched it!

Replace the dog bone fuse with a 30 amp blade fuse, if thats where the problem is.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Check the battery and charging system.
ditto

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

With the tach jumping around, having to keep the rpm up to keep the bike running, and the rest of what you said, it definately sounds like you either have something shorting on the bike or a charge system issue.Put a volt meter onthe battery when running and you will probably have a really low output (probably under 11.00 volts).

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

vatrmn wrote:
Bike was running really well then all of a sudden the tail light warning came on and the bike stalled. I had to jump it because there was no response to the key. No lights, no start. just dead . I got back home, about thirty miles, but had to keep the rpms up, the tach jumped around, the engine ran rough and the warning light stayed on except briefly at the end when the rpms fell to idle and it basically died in the driveway. I don't even begin to know where to start with a completely dead machine!! Help?? Thanx RJM
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks to all the helpful folks who got me started in the right direction. I've been riding wings for ten years or more and have sort of become paranoid that I would run into the dreaded stator problem when I was in a "broke" period.
Turned out to be a very old fusable link. Dodged another bullet. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.