Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

I installed my fog lights today. It took me a little longer than expected, but everything I work on seems to take longer than I expect. :^) The fog lights work fine, look good, plug and play, but that cowl...that's difficult for me to reinstall.

I suspect some of you have experience with taking the cowl on and off an 1800. Are there any tricks you can share with me ? It seems that when I get 1 or 2 bolts on, I can't get the cowl flexed far enough to line up with the holes for the other bolts. I tried loosening the 2 bolts that I have on, but still am having a difficult time getting the holes of the cowl lined up for the bolts to bite in to the receiving threads.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave in Virginia

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
imported post

Well buddy i dont know for sure i dont have an 1800, but just dont get frustrated and force it, when i took my fairing off my 1100 it was a buger to get back on until i took a break and went back to it later and took my time, i found a bracket that was wedged in there and poof went right on after that buddy... youll get it... im sure youll get a response from an 1800 winger soon...

good luck :action:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I am not sure if this is the right way, but the way I find it fits well.

I slip the lower cowl up under the upper inner tunnel section, so the cowl fits behind that upper section.

It has six bolts and two push pin gadgets. Put the two bolts in that are up high and fit into the cowl only, then the two that fit into the corner of the cowl and through the upper body section, and last the two on the lower part, all loose and not tight, and fit the push pins in before securing the bolts.

You just have to jiggle them around a bit, careful does it, and do not secure them overly tight. Just a bit past snug. Then double check the push pins, I have had several of them fall out on mine on occasion. They do not fit very well in that location. So I have a couple spares in my tool bag.

Kit

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Another thing I find about working with the plastics is that it makes a difference if the plastic is warm or cold. The darn stuff is fragile anyway, and when it's cold it makes it all that much more difficult to "flex" for fitting.

I'm lucky to have a garage with wood stove and/or torpedo heater.

As already mentioned,,,, take your time and if need be, step away from it for a bit.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks Winger77,

Didn't think of that. The bike is in my unheated garage now, about 40-45 degrees. I think I will take it off this morning, bring it in the house for an hour or so, then try Kit's method. Maybe even use my halogen lights on it for heat and illumination. I was too lazy to get those lights out, but they do get very hot. 500 watts of halogen. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

The cowl is not a good fit and needs some tender loving care to get it in place, just take your time, if it does not fit try it another way

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Only took 5 minutes to finish securing the cowl. I took the advice above by warming the plastic cowl. I used a set of 500w halogens that I have on a stand. Just lowered the lights to the lowest level, and positioned them about 4' from the cowl. I went back an hour later, loosed the bolts I already had in, then put the 2 remaining bolts in. The plastic was pliable enough to finish the job.

Thanks for the input guys ! You are the smartest people on the internet !

Dave

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Super :clapper:Glad it worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

One thing i forgot to mention, i have replaced the stock fixings with Stainless bolts, they ar ea bit longer so help put on the cowl.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

You may need to bend the brackets that the cowl screws onto, as sometimes the brackets are bent when the bike is crated at the factory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.