Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I been wanting to buy a full set of keepers for my 1500, just never have the money. Always something a problem, like I busted my throttle cable a few weeks ago, needed a front tire awhile back, etc....

I was at one of those $1 shops when in Branson, MO Sunday.
It hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw nylon dog collars with good strong plastic clips for small dogs at $1 each!
I grabbed about a dozen of them!

I was asked by a freind how many dogs do I have?
2 LARGE ones I said.
Why all the small collars, I was asked.

To keep the bikini clad blond yelling and screaming on back of my wing from jumping off, I replied :ROFL:

Really though, home made keepers for all my stuff!
After loosing a side cover on way home when I first bought the 1500 I been worried about the other parts people also loose.
I have not put my fender covers back on after changing front tire, replaced lost cover but never put on 1500 yet for fear of loosing it also, other covers are still off now after having to remove them last week.

A couple rivets or snaps from my leather working supplies, a junk piece of ABS and some black ABS pipe glue, a few cuts here and there on collars, I can put my wing altogether again and not fear the lost parts on the road!

I'll still buy real keeper kits when I have the money, but dog collars should work well for now.

Side note,
Worried also about theft of parts, I got camouflaged collars so they won't be seen if someone tries to steal a cover. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

OH, and for $1 each I also got some nice long strong dog leashes!
Instead of trying to use expensive LONG bungies or bunch of smaller ones to hold stuff on back seat when loaded I can use those and a short bungy.

Loop the leash around a solid place, passenger grab handle for me, then run the leash through it's own hand end, pull up over cargo tight and bungy from other side grab handle to the snap end that goes on dogs collar.
Nice, easy, cheap, strong, and less chance of busting a bungy.

Need a throw away oil pan? $1 for giant sized plastic bowl big enough to hold old oil from even a car!

Told the clerk I never knew they sold so many things for bikes in the store. LOL

I really only went in store because I lost my $1 sunglasses I was riding with and wanted to buy another $1 pair.

$1 shops are everywhere now it seems, some have better stuff than others and sometimes never know what you can find.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

6 packs of small plastic containers for parts.
Strainer for lots of stuff
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Cheap tools
Rags
Aluminum pans for parts cleaning - Boiled my carbs on the grill on one.
Cleaning supplies including brushes.
Flashlights, batteries.
Love the dollar stores.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

I remember the first time i went into a dollar store when i first got to America i asked my wife are you sure everything is a dollar i got every thing drones76 got car wax candy cookies all kinds of stuff i got to the checkout and had to ask again so is everything a dollar . Still shop there to see what strange stuff they have

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Zip ties on all my covers ect.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I love finding solutions on the cheap.
Makes the whole thing seem much more valuable.
Nice find!
Securing the covers is first priority. What you secure them with is secondary. But they need to be secured by something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.