Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have posted pictures with a brief description of what each is showing of the gl1200 bearing tools I made. I have to give Jluvs2dive credit I took his idea and made it work for me, This is why I love this forum/site.

I had a spare front tire laying around so I pulled bearing out to get the pics for other to use. Hope this helps someone as it has me, saved a ton of time, money and headaches.

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

http://s382.photobucket.com/albums/oo262/RayandTracy/bearing%20removal%20tool%20homemade/

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

That's excellent Ray, simple and well thought out. I'll move this to the reference forum later in the week once more people have seen it here.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys, Its a great feeling cruising down the road after you've worked on your bike to make it better. Thanks Steve for giving us this great place to learn fromand to hang around:clapper:

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

THanks Steve! I hope this helps others as it has me. Anyone need more info just pm me and I'll talk you through it, like so many others on here have talked me through other things.

Ride Safe, Ray

:action::waving::action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
I did the same thing, only I just cut a single slot instead of two, and I used a screwdriver to expand the bolt instead of a punch
Hey GS, I saw your how to and it is great. I found for me using the punch pushed all 4 sides out and gripped better. But that is what is great about this site finding and sharing different ways to get the job done correctly and at a cost we all can live with:clapper:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6e1d7"Ride Safe, Ray

:action::waving::action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Truthfully...I was originally going to cut two slots, but lacking a bandsaw, I ended up using a hacksaw by hand, and after 10 minutes hard work cutting the one slot, I decided "to hell with that, one will do just fine" :)
Thank goodness for a saw-zaw:D

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

you guys are brilliant truly brilliant !!!!!:shock:got to do mine this week !! dave

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I used a bolt for my expander but similar approach...

You tighten the hex bolt while inside the wheel hub.

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Then you drive it out with the handle that spans the hex bolt head.

But the wedge design is much simpler and faster to make by a long shot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

awsome Rudy, that is what I was trying to do by cutting down on the slipage you get from not making contact on all sides.

Again Cool pics everyone is on it :):action:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
awsome Rudy, that is what I was trying to do by cutting down on the slipage you get from not making contact on all sides.

Again Cool pics everyone is on it :):action:
My method requires that a lathe drill the center holes in the 3/4" rods and you want to remember to tap the hole before sawing the X slots.

Also the head of the hex bolt was turned down to reduce the diameter and give more metal face to the driver rod.

Good thing about this approach is uniform outward pressure on all sides and easy removal of the bolt after removal.

Down side is that the expansion is not infinite like it is with a wedge. I think I will weld a bead around the crown of the bolt just below the head and turn that into a tapered round wedge so I can get more expansion if I want it.

Also I may harden the steel at the driving lip area just because this steel is fairly mild. Or maybe I'll just beat it to death like everything else.

Works real well otherwise.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

tried the single cut in the threaded pipe and no go!! those suckers are in there , it there a store i can buy the bearing pullers ,,no time to make the tools ?//

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.