Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I built a cargo trailer to pull with my 1500A. I am having difficulties finding a lid stay/lift that will work with the shell I have. That is, something to automatically open the lid and hold it open. The cargo shell I have is a Sears car topper. I removed the inside stays/hinges from the sides to get the lid to open further (previous opening was only about 18"). What I would like to do is have the lid open a full 90[suP]o [/suP]without any assistance (or as little as possible).

I tried regular gas shocks from a car hatchbackbut they are too strong. They bend/deform the abs plastic lid when mountedon the outside and pose a threat to rip the remaining2 hinges off the end when mounted from the inside (these are 2 small aluminum hinges, extremely hard to replace). I have seen the all-in-one hinge/staysthat supports the lid completely by itself but I can't locate any for sale. I also would like to keep the price down, say $40 for the system.

Has anyone encountered this problem or have you seen a trailer with a plastic lid that has this problem licked?:baffled:

Mitch

94 1500A

:18black:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I've seen trailer lids held open by the same bar that holds open car bonnets. Just a standard rod that you lift andput into a slot in the lid. Works well and no parts to wear out etc.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hey Mitch, you might consider the gas springs that are used on the auto liftgate windows. They're not as strong as those for the liftgate and you have quite a few to choose from considering all the different autos on the road today. It just dawned on me .......the GL1800s use gas struts to hold open the saddlebags--you might even consider those. Let us know how you fare.

:waving:Mo

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys. I'll look into the shocks for the liftgate windows and the 1800 saddlebags. I currently use the bar idea so that will be my fall back.

Mitch

94 1500A

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I had a reply and a picture of a trailer that the lid opened from the side. A piano hinge was added to one side and the original hinges moved to the front and rear. We Have A Winner!!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

How about a couple of scissor links like those used on an old steamer trunk lid? They latch the lid open automatically and all you have to do is trip them to close them. Home Depot has them.

BTW Mitch, how fast were you going past that radar trailer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.