Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Okay, time to put my two cents in people... Is anyone old enough to remember when CB was the big thing (like pre-cell phone young'ens :})?

We where always trying to get more "power" out of the radios to talk "farther" than your buddy. One of the things we'd do was go to a "power mic". These were both hand and stand mics with pre-amps in them and if you bought the really good ones (IE. Turner +2) it didn't come with a plug on the end of the mic. You had to go to Radioshack (when they used to be a real electronics store, unlike today) to get a connector to fit your radio. You then had to figure the pin-out of the mic connector (unless lucky enough to have the schematic, not all radios had one in the box), and wire in the new mic... A lot of times we had to put a .001 microfarad capacitor in the mic circuit because the mic would squeal on transmit.

Seems like this is a similar problem.

Electronic gurus want to comment... I'm just an electronics "tinkerer", but I like looking at the pretty lines in an O-scope until I get dizzy.:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
...I also remember how a lot of 'outlaw CBers' would buy 10 meter ham linear amps and operate around 700W instead of the legal 5W. Ah the grand old days when the electronics were tempermental, bulky, heavy, and expensive!
Some of us even added "extra" crystal banks (we're talking 23 channel days) to our radios to get into the "guard" bands where it was empty of all the noise and we could talk. We won't talk about "expanded" clarifiers and the other things you can do with SSB today.

Ahhh!!! Someone else that knows what "Heathkit" was. I'll bet you even know the meaning of V=IxR too. :p

I know... "Off topic" but it's good to know someone here can answer electronics questions too as more and more bikes have electronic "everything".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.