Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A Couple of weeks ago i discovered that my left fork leg was wet with fork oil, when i started a post here about where to get the best price on oem seals i was directed to a site where they offer a tool to repair the fork seals. http://sealmate.net/

i did not wanted to ride the bike like this so until last night decided to do my own sealmate tool, if you see the website it is something so simple that you can do it at home. you will say i am too cheap to pay $6.99 for two of them. but i live in mexico and the shipping plus taxes will be more than what the product is worth.

here is what i did, i downloaded an image of the sealmate from the site to make a template, i printed several sizes, from 12 to 14 cms. the 12cm one was the size closest to the one seen on the video.

for the plastic i used a coke bottle as source. the flat surface behind the label is enough to make a couple of this things, using the template i printed i trimmed the piece of plastic to the shape of a sealmate. then rounded the edges with grit paper and used as instructed on the video on the website.
after following the instructions i got a seal that seals. no more oil in the tube, pumped 14 psi of air and she is holding them and no leaks. had a short ride to wallyworld and checked again the tube is dry as the other.
here are some pictures for those who may be interested i say you have nothing to lose as you wont spent a cent on this. probably on very old seals may not work but mine were two years old and had just started to leak.

i only got pictures when cleaning the dust seal but you can see how it really removes all the crap that builds up there. on the oil seal you don see that much stuff but it works

i have attached a pdf file just print and cut your own sealmate

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/nEzjdFQp6IM&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info, I orderes a pair, at $7.98 a pair shipped, it is worth trying. Making a set might take a while, I'm too busy with procrastinating ! Doug :)

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i install tons of seals all the time on the big rigs and if you sit down and think about a seal what is it

its a bit of flexible plastic holding back a liquid now these seals are really not under alot of pressure so if a seal fails why did it fail

many things involve this from the type of oil if its compatable with the seal or dry rotting but mainly its like described in the video dirt gets down and actually forces the seal open away from the metal and it allows oil to get past the seal

i'll have to buy one it will make my life so much easier at work lol

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I was just getting ready to go down and start taking my front end apart........ then I read Dougs post above and thought I would help him first........ just waiting to see how that procrastination thing works for him first.......

You think it would work for me? I have oil all over my front fender from these things leaking so bad (and I wonder why my brakes don't work well....)

But lets say I can clean them and all goes well..... How do I check the oil level thats left in there? How do I add oil if I need to.....

I have to take the forks apart don't I?

Darn It!!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well to be honest on the oil loss a little bit goes along way so you may have lost a fraction of a ounce and it looks like a gallon

if your alittle low it wont hurt anything you probably wont even notice it on the ride but if your in doubt drain out the oil and add new

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I see how it might help, but I'd move the wiper up out of the way first. The wiper is just pressed in the top and should wiggle up out of the way of the seal pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

I have used a piece of 35mm film negative strip several times. It works just as well and is free. I recently did this to a friends 1800 goldwing and he has had no more leaks. It has worked everytime for me as well.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Nicely done William.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

William if yours have that much stuff behind the seal just after two years.I'm scared to think what's behind mine as far as crap those seals may have been on there since the bike was manufactured who knows the bike sat up for almost two years and the guy that owned it he bought it from his brother in law.Thanks for the advice and why hasn't someone haven't come up with these ideas sooner it would have saved a biker a lot of headache and money?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,592 Posts
imported post

Roadhog wrote:
I have used a piece of 35mm film negative strip several times. It works just as well and is free. I recently did this to a friends 1800 goldwing and he has had no more leaks. It has worked everytime for me as well.
That's the way we used to do it, but I tried it with the sensor from my digital camera and it made things worse. :baffling:

I havewrapped a chunk of old t-shirt around the tube, under the dust cover, and had it work well, too. A great fix when youspring a leak out on the road.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Freddie Johnston wrote:
William if yours have that much stuff behind the seal just after two years.I'm scared to think what's behind mine as far as crap those seals may have been on there since the bike was manufactured who knows the bike sat up for almost two years and the guy that owned it he bought it from his brother in law.Thanks for the advice and why hasn't someone haven't come up with these ideas sooner it would have saved a biker a lot of headache and money?
Idea has been around a long time - someone just made a product. Almost anything flat, thin, semirigid will work-playing card, milk jug, mt. dew...

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

I wish I had this tip a few months ago ,could have saved me a lot of time and frustrating. Thanks william_ 69 pdf on file ,will make some for the future.Thanks again

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
imported post

sounds like a great idea, but one that may cost me some business at the shop

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

I took a piece of venitian blind its already curved and all you got to do is trim it.It was made out of very thin plastic like photo negitive film and so far it worked junk came out.Make sure you lift your dust seal and clean around it and let the air out of the forks before messing with it because you might get yourself a oil bath just do what every one has posted as far as cleaning around the seal and don't get in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

A big thank you for the advise and pdf file,i downloaded it made the tool and it worked a treat.I couldnt afford the £150 they wanted to put a new fork seal in and was on the verge of sorning the bike.Cheers mate from the uk.:applause:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.