Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

PSI for both tires on a 1500 as specified in the owner manual is different from recommended PSI on new tires I had put on recently. There is substantial difference between Honda specs and what is on sidewall of new tires.

Which should I observe.?

Polkwing

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

most tyre manafacturs are when loaded 38front 42rear

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the tire indicates the max psi the tires can run at.. not the indicated

the manual says the correct psi for the size of the bike it is calculated for the handing and breaking.

thats what i've been told. if im wrong let me know :p

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I follow the tires max ratings on the tires.

One manual cannot provide data for all manufacturers of tires. It lists the values for the initial stock tires that were spec'd for the original OEM delivery.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

Also the manual does not get updated and tire technology has come a long way. Great tires like the Michelin Pilot did not even exist when the 1500 came out but it was engineered only for the 1500. If there is a change in the tire, the tire manufacturer can instantly update it's specs on the web or have the specs when the tire was made directly on the tire. The Honda manuals for the most part do not get updated.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
imported post

Most shops that mount tires will know what pressure is recommended by the manufacturer of the tire you are putting on your bike. If you do your own mounting and balancing, check with the manufacturer of the tire or a reputable shop in your area the does tire mounting. I have the Micheln Pilot GT's on my 1500 and the shop that sold me the tires and mounted and balanced them told me to run 42 frontand 44 to 46 rear. The shop also knows that I ride almost exclusively 2-up and am a fairly aggressive rider. I do know that most shop will tell you no matter what tire you run on your motorcycle, you can't go wrong running 40psi front and rear. JMHO

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

On car tires, there is a delicate balance between weight on the tire and pressure in the tire. I can tell at a glance if a car tire has been run over/under inflated, just by the wear pattern on the face. Overinflated tires tend to be worn more in the center, while underinflated ones tend to be worn at the edges.

While a motorcycle tire is more rounded than a car tire(darkside excluded), the same theory still applies. A tire that is inflated to the max and is not loaded to the max., will be running on a narrower surface, and that surface will wear faster than if the tire was pressured correctly for the weight it carries. My elite III front tire is rated at 600 lbs at a max pressure of 41psi. But that tire never comes close to carrying 600 lbs., so therefore, why should it beinflated to 41 psi??

I have taken a lot of what has been said to heart, and I compromise a little. Honda says 31 psi(probably for about 350 lbs on the tire, and giving a smoother ride)Dunlop say 41 psi for max wt. of 600 lbs. I use about 36psi., and so far, the tire is wearing just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.