Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

I started doing maintenance on my new/old bike (only had it a week 1988 GL1500)

these GL1500 have allot to take off to get to the Air Filter ie: seat faux tank cover.

When I pulled the filter, It was really bad, completely pluged, with the usuall butterflys and moths and 1/4" crud on top of the filter media, that explains why it was running rough.

went on line to Bike bandit looked up OEM air filter $36.00.

I dont want to get into a debate but we have all heard the negative's about K & N.

BesidesK&N's are $73.00ea. plus cleaner & oil sprays. thats two OEM filters, & almost Seven of the Napa filters (7ea Napa filters = 84000 miles)

the service manual says they last 12k miles. Hmm!!

I knew that neither of those were going to work for me. I was looking for a "cheap upgrade", that would filter at least as good as the OEM does.

I took the old OEM Air Filter, cut through the paper element up close to the air filter frameall the way around pulled the old paper elementout, then I had the old air filter frame.

I took theAir Filter frame (after the filter was removed)to Napa to see what would drop right in to that cut out.

I found that Napa part number 6425 will fit in the frame.

I used a tube of shoo goop (Walmart$4.00 a tube 1 tube will do many changes) to seal and mount the new filter to the old OEMframe put a small bead of shoo goop all the way around filter put into frame and set it aside, do an oil change or another maintenance item afew hours later it should be dry.

Napa # 6425 $9.70ea. Napa has WIX build their filters for themyou will notice more paper than the honda unit(more filter area)and Much more paper than those cheap Fram units.

Napa $9.70ea. + $1.00 sealant

Honda's $36.00ea. I could buy 3-1/3ea. Napa filters for that price,by the time I spent $36.00I could drive 40,000 miles with the Napa filters. 3-1/3 Honda filters would have cost $119.88.

K & N $73.00ea. + Cleaner spray $? + Oil Spray $?, I could buy 6.82ea. Napa filters for that price, by the time I spent $73.00+, I could drive 81,840 miles with the Napa filters.

I dont like using the K&N product for my vehicals because their claim of up to 90% efficency, allot of people like K&N and have no problems, for me I want full filtration not 70-80 or 90%

I am paying for filtration thats what I expect not an extra 5h.p. maybe, and then not do what it was designed?? for or what Iam paying for. Is that bait and switch, or smoke and mirrors?

Just my cent & half (sorry it's all I got left)

Westgl

·
Premium Member
59,053 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info.. I have no idea when my air filted was last change.. No records.. Have been putting it off because it looks likea lot of plastic has to be removed.. How long did it take??

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey Foodman,

You know, it wasnt that big of a deal, I only own this bike for a week, the PO said that it had been completely serviced.

I think that meant Oil was changed and maybe the spark plugs. My 86' GL1200 one key flip gas door open open other door lift out tray B A M! your at the air cleaner.

The GL1500 while it is no big deal. You have to remove the seat. Then remove the Faux tank cover. While your in there might as well change the fuel filter, mine looked pretty dirty from what I could see through it's opaqe plastic,you can Buy Napa Fuel Filter Part Number,

Napa Gold#3003 $4.39 Fuel Filter, it has Clear Plastic so you can see it's status.

The only thing I would suggest, is to replace the fuel line I bought 3 ft, to go from gas tank to fuel filter, to rigid fuel line where connected now,

I also replaced the clamps with the Stainless steel, leaking fuel and fires make me nervous.

Westgl

·
Premium Member
59,053 Posts
imported post

Westgl,
Thanks for the info.. I got the same deal when I bought my bike.. It has just had a 30k miles service.. WHAT the heck is that?? Well anyway I guess I know what I'll be doing next week..

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Westgl,

Good Job!!! I was thinking of the same thing or similar, and I started checking into frame filters.

I noticed that some are flex rubber and othersdid have rigid plastic. The prices varied, so I am still researching and want to be careful in the mods.

I will check our your filter.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Westgl,

Good Job!!! I was thinking of the same thing or similar, and I started checking into frame filters.

I noticed that some are flex rubber and othersdid have rigid plastic. The prices varied, so I am still researching and want to be careful in the mods.

I will check our your filter.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

Thanks West.

I'm gonna try the filter mod this week. Is the "shoo goop" some form of rtv or silicone rubber? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Nice piece of info, Westgl. But I doubt if almost any Goldwing is driven in conditions that would require an air filter to be changed after only 12000 miles. My 1500 filter still looks like new after many miles on it. Some areas may be buggier than others I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Psalmist,

Yes, Shoo Goop is like an RTV - Adhesive sealant you use that to glue in the new filter,

Then 12K miles later when it's time to change filters cut the Napafilter paper out of the frame throw away the paper reuse the frame. Then pay $9.70 for new paper element from Napa.

Like I said Compare the Napa to the Honda paper element, the Napa filter has allot morearea.

If you were to take the paper elementsunfold them both lay them out as a flat peice of paper. there must be 3/4 more, maybe double the filter media, I did not really compare side by side.

I hope this helps someone,

Westgl

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi Hawker22,

The12k milage change on the air filter is not my number.

I took that number directly out of the Honda service manual for 1988 GL1500.

I have only had my 1500 for about a week, and did not know the service history other than PO saying it had been recently serviced??

If the filters do last longer Maybe the Napawill last even longer dur to it having more filter media.

Westgl

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I checked the "HondadirectlineUSA" site listed above, it did not show a picture,

They are $15.27 + they have a $5.00-$7.50 handling (for orders under $100.00)charge depending on how you pay, they do have free shipping though.

$15.27 + $5.00 = $20.27 or

$15.27 + $7.50 = $22.77

My local Napa is 3 miles from my house, they were in stock, it took less than 5 minutes to cut the old media out.

this is a fix iam going to use.

Westgl

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hey Foosman,

I am not sure.

Thats the same question I had, I tried to find a picture on Honda direct line USA web site,to see if the frame shape was the same as ours.

Could not find anything.

Oh well, I am sticking with what I know.

Westgl

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Here's my 2 cents on the GL1500 air filter. I have a 1991 Aspencade Anniversary.

Don't ignore your air filter. As it gets more clogged up with mileage it will cause rough running at highway rpms. You will blame the rough running on a million other things. You will also smell gas fumes coming out of your exhaust as the engine can't get enough air to burn properly.

The stock air cleaner is very restrictive. The paper area is small and Honda uses criscrossed metal screens underneath the paper. I replaced the stock air cleaner with the K&N and immediately got another 5MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Hello

One thing I forgot to mention,

In regards to the filter mod. was that the metal screen that is underneath the OEM Frame,It should be removed as it is not needed.

It is easy a pair of cutters to remove the plastic molded tabs I think there are 6 ea of them. just cut through them, then screen comes right off.

Westgl

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

westgl wrote:
Psalmist,

Yes, Shoo Goop is like an RTV - Adhesive sealant you use that to glue in the new filter,

Westgl
Shoo Goop might be a local product. My Walmart didn't have any. They had another "Goop" but I opted for some blue RTV gasket sealer. Napa has a 'silver' filter for $7 and a 'gold' for $8. I splurged!!:DTomorrow I go filter crazy. Air, sub, cruise, fuelfilters get changed. I'm hoping for 20 more mpg's. YEAH RIGHT!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.