Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old School Guru
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I wonder why with as many conversions to trikes that have been made, why Honda hasn't made one itself? If I was Honda, I would build a trike based on the Goldwing 1800 with a "real" 5 or 6 speed automatic, mechanical reverse (not electric like now), 3 wheel disk brakes with ABS and power assist, and built in tow package includeing trailer hitch and plug, auxillary oil cooler, and electric trailer brake controller built in. They could study some of the conversions out htere on the market and figure out how to build one better and instead of someone else making a fortune selling kits and conversions, they could build one that could be mass produced with a lot of potenial to make a lot of extra profits.:)

Gene:santawaving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
296 Posts
imported post

I don't know if this would be a profitable thing for Honda, though it would be nice. Only a small % of Wings get triked, so mass producing one would be a loss leader.
 

·
Old School Guru
Joined
·
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Skooter wrote:
I don't know if this would be a profitable thing for Honda, though it would be nice. Only a small % of Wings get triked, so mass producing one would be a loss leader.
Here in the States, a lot of GWs are triked. And at the price a GW trike commands, and a 50% profit margin on the typical trike conversion, I could see where it could be done.

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
461 Posts
imported post

Better still than re-inventing the wheel, they could simply buy out one of the smaller companies and continue the manufacturing themselves.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
286 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
I wonder why with as many conversions to trikes that have been made, why Honda hasn't made one itself? If I was Honda, I would build a trike based on the Goldwing 1800 with a "real" 5 or 6 speed automatic, mechanical reverse (not electric like now), 3 wheel disk brakes with ABS and power assist, and built in tow package includeing trailer hitch and plug, auxillary oil cooler, and electric trailer brake controller built in. They could study some of the conversions out htere on the market and figure out how to build one better and instead of someone else making a fortune selling kits and conversions, they could build one that could be mass produced with a lot of potenial to make a lot of extra profits.:)

Gene:santawaving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:



Wouldnt they call that a Honda Civic?



Marty :12ltd:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
461 Posts
imported post

A Honda built trike would hurt a lot of small companies. If Honda mad a factory GL trike, it would kill that aftermarket segment just like it did to the touring equip. aftermarket with the creation of the GL1100I in 1980.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
93 Posts
imported post

ringo00 wrote:
A Honda built trike would hurt a lot of small companies. If Honda mad a factory GL trike, it would kill that aftermarket segment just like it did to the touring equip. aftermarket with the creation of the GL1100I in 1980.
This would not bother Honda. If they think extra a trike would more money make for them, they will wipe out the aftermarket trike companys.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
461 Posts
imported post

I never said Honda wouldn't do it. If they thought they could turn a profit, they would do it in half a heartbeat. I just simply stated what would happen if they did.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
584 Posts
imported post

Well if Honda made a Factory trike I doubt it would affect the aftermarket companies too much.

The new trike would be for brand new bike buyers.

The aftermarket trike companies still would be making Trike conversions for the thousands and thousands of older Wings still around.....like mine.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top