Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Is it worth restoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,884 Posts
Claude , I meant that I frequently see bag sets for 75-150 . Fairings are seen less often ,and I cant recall pricing .
After rereading I can see how my wording could mislead . sorry for that .

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
There are many factors at play here. It sat for 9 years or more...where did it sit all this time...? Dampness works its way into the cylinder..and then you get cylinder wall pitting. Dampness in crank case...another can of worms again. As I said there is a number of factors to think about on if you want to undertake restoring it. Just be ready to put a whole lot of $$$$ into it, and you might find out that in the end its not worth all the time and effort and so on that put into it. In the end the call is really up to you. Myself...I think I would sell it....but then I have not seen photos of it and not had the chance to look it over to make that call...of save it or get rid of it.

The biggest killer of a engine is having it sit and sit and never run for a long time. Its often the death of engine in many ways...again depends on where it sat for that long...inside...outside...damp area...place where it got damp air alot...and so on.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
This is just me. I would restore it, as have already done this twice ['59 BMW R69S & '79 Honda GL1000....both wrecked machines]. As ex-USAF jet mechanic [& always mechanically inclined since a kid], t'was a CHALLENGE and great Fun for me and I fixed many broken, bent items better than they originally were. It also taught me a LOT about the cycles, so I could tackle future problems without hesitation. At 75 1/2, have many good memories about both rebuilds; logged many miles on both machines; kept one [GL] 18 years. GOOD LUCK & HAPPY NEW YEAR... papasmurf :)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I brought back to life an 83 Aspencade that sat 13 years. As Tom said, you get to know your bike. And yes lots of miles put on after with lots of smiles.

Was it inside the time it sat is the question to be answered by you. That was asked earlier and you have not answered that.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.