Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have a 1975 GL1000 and during a ride the starter clutch somehow locked in and spun up the starter motor to a zillion revs and she crapped out. Has anyone heard of this happening on these bikes? Its the first time in over 50 years of riding that I have had this happen. I've looked into it a bit and seems I have to pull the engine out to get the rear cover off to access the starter clutch, housed in the flywheel. The tiny chain that drives from the starter and both sprockets survived nicely. Anyone ever heard of this happening or had it happen to them?

Thanks again....Barney

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
I would think that is almost impossible but the impossible does occasionally happen. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have heard of a solenoid sticking and ruining the starter. Make sure that is not the case before trying the new starter.
Be ready to disconnect the battery if a solenoid sticks.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard of a solenoid sticking and ruining the starter. Make sure that is not the case before trying the new starter.
Be ready to disconnect the battery if a solenoid sticks.

Rayjoe
No, not that. Had that happen with a K100 I have. Also, I have already got a new starter motor. Bought it off Amazon. Was the cheapest by far. Really good service and a good product.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,833 Posts
No, not that. Had that happen with a K100 I have. Also, I have already got a new starter motor. Bought it off Amazon. Was the cheapest by far. Really good service and a good product.
Let us know how the starter works out too. Most after market starters are Chinese made and the planetary gears shatter. Some have a sprocket that is the wrong size. Good luck.

Reactions: Barney T Weasel
1 - 8 of 8 Posts