Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 926 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sucks! I just typed a long intro & tried a attachment.
Came back & said picture to big, hit BACK BUTTON & loss anything.
So I am only adding pictures till I feel up to all that typing again
My WebShiot pictures are here showing other things I've done

Skip20

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,279 Posts
imported post

oooooh, surely it is not all that bad.

I replied to your problem in another post before I found this one.

Highlight and copy your text BEFORE you click SEND. Then if something goes awry, you can then restore your lost text with a Control-V or Edit/Paste.

·
Premium Member
12,750 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome skip . Sorry you had problems with your first posting . I am not good at posting pictures so I wont offer any advice on that issue . I think AZgl1500 can point you in the correct process .

Was that your bike ? It looks bad . I hope you were not hurt seriously . If the head stock is not warped it should be a good trike foundation . Good luck with it .

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:waving:OK, fell better now & need to kill some time.
:waving:Sorry for the earlier comment.
As I tried to write earlier, I'm in the planning / gathering parts stage to build a IRS Trike.
I own a 89/90 Blue/Green GL1500/6, & just finished repairing a 93 GL1500A.
I'm also a little craze about building things. My 1st post gave link to WebShot picture.
Sorry forgot the lik in 1st post.
http://community.webshots.com/user/skip20
:)MY PLAN!:?
Got a IRS rear end assy from a 1995 & 2000 Miata. About $250.00 each.
Just got a 93 GL1500 SE off eBay for $510.00, Picked up yesterday. Will be replace the tree & forks, run good.
Picking up 4 - 16"x8 American Racing 4x100 aluminum wheels covered with good Pirelli 245/45/16 tires. Came off Craig List Local $225.00. This will gave me rims for Trike & Trailer.
I have the metal, laying around & a Mig welder to play with.
Will build a Custom built fiberglass rear body shell. Will be making a mold for it to sell.
Hope to write a CD on "DIY YOUR GL1500 to TRIKE"
This will be a bolt-on assy with no mods to the stock frame.
Plan to post pictures here as the build gets going, but may be slow due to other project as my Bradley GTII Custom.
Any and all commits, ideas, info or screw ups are welcomed.
Most pictures will be posted but no measurements as I hope to maybe sell the CD.
Plan on selling my 89/90 Goldwing to help pay for this.
If it doesn't sell, then the kit will be install on it & will sell the parts of the 93 SE
Looks like I may need to get new camera as I'm getting some fog in the pictures

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I think he's got it :dude:- sounds like quite a project. Keep us updated. :clapper:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,279 Posts
imported post

You sure got a lot of enthusiasm there.

The camera seems to be shooting with the lens to wide open, makes for a very shallow depth of field.

If it is auto-flash, turn the flash on All The Time, that will make it use smaller iris settings. Gives you a much sharper picture, better depth of field.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I think the camera fell off the work bench to many times, the force doesn't seem to work to well any longer.
Thank you for the info & will try, however the flash was on for all of these picture due to being in the (car) motorcycle port.
Skip20

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

is that the miata rear suspension? not sure how well the irs suspension will handel on a trike with the single tire in the front?

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

There are a few IRS setups out there.
Two thing, Cars swing on an angle (camber), Trike swing straight up/down.
The rear gearing on the miata is 4.1 - 1, as the bike is 2.9 - 1.
I think you played with the gearing the axle also.
I have built a few 3 wheel car/bike before, but never trike a bike before.
Check my webshot site for the Rakoons"
skip skoto1 wrote:
is that the miata rear suspension? not sure how well the irs suspension will handel on a trike with the single tire in the front?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i ended up running a 2.73 to 1 but i could have used a 2.43 i was running 3000 at 65 mph in 5th. it would spin the tires in first if you wanted to. the 4.1 is way low but you may have better luck finding a ringgear and pinion for the miata. that's the reason i opted for the mustang plentiful and the right gearing is easy to find and the disk brakesare a must.

Reactions: not2old2wing

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

:dude:Got the front forks disassy'ed & got a pair off eBay last night, $145.00 shipped with bottom tree & brace.
Removed the left front brake hose & will be putting both front brake together.
Removed the front brake hose at the rear master & need to get a spacer to remount the bolt. Rear brake master will now be for the rear only.
Started the engine & it runs smooth as silk with good rev's.
Had to replace Vac hose on #4 cyl., & drain the two hoses.
Don't know how old the gas is but smell ok.
Need to wait for front forks before I remove the rear assy. to start setting up the rear end.
Also need to work on the rear diff. gearing, Miata comes with 4.3:1 & 4.1:1, way to high!
Latest Pictures below.

Till next week run safe.
Skip20

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

way too low you mean. and if you leave the rearend pinion in the middle you will need to use a constant volosity joint in the rear of the drive shaft. the angle will be to steep and it will bind on you when you first take off. i know this for a fact. i had to mod mine this way. but your not using the same rear as i did so maybe not. by the way how wide is that rear end.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

:) The forks came in so I worked at getting them set up.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO THANK MEMBER "SKOTO1" FOR HELP IN GETTING THE DRIVE SHAFT ADP. CUT FOR ME.

:waving: I WILL ALSO BE LOOKING FOR A COMPLETE FAIRING ASSY, PM & LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ONE.

Skip20

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well, I moved Little Spitty out to the car port for winter storage & moved the GoldWing into the garage.
Disassy'ed rear of bike, removing tire, brakes, pipes, shocks & trailing arm.
Cut the bag support off leaving only the trunk support.
Rolled in the Miata rear end & checked drive shaft clearance. It's a little tight, but I won't have any up/down movement on shaft.
Have an idea on how to mount rear to bike frame uasing some 2"x3" tubing I have laying around.
Plan to add fuel tank on top of rear end.

Not sure on wheel base as yet, will be what the drive shaft will gave me.
Still need to work on gearing ratio down to at least 2.93:1 which is same as bike.
Thinking maybe a BMW diff.
The tires are 4-100mm x 16" x 8" rims.
Any ideas please post, could help me not make mistakes.

Skip20

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Here is the mock up of the rear frame

Skip20

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,279 Posts
imported post

Very interesting. I am really enjoying this process.

Anxious to see how it comes along.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Wow!!! I'm getting some good ideas off this. I'd sure like to see the outcome. I might try it someday myself. Kepp us posted of the progress. Great Pictures!!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

You got one heck of a project going there. Looks great. But really, only some people are going to see the real workings at this point of the game and find a lot of interest in it.:shock:I be one of them. Post often as you go.

Great job.:clapper:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,279 Posts
imported post

yes, I am also very interested in your project.

Please take a lot of pictures and allow us to learn as you go.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

Going to be taking the easy route and purchasing a bolt on kit .

Think its brilliant when you can build a trike from the ground up,your progress is certainly interesting reading:clapper:

1 - 20 of 926 Posts