Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Hi I recently bought my first Honda goldwing and it has no spark....could you please tell me where the ECU is located thanks in advance..
1st of all, since our forum currently does not show your profile, what model and year bike are you talking about?

and, what things have you done so far to try and diagnose it?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
The title says he has an '85 Ltd Edition...

No spark is usually an easy fix. Please give us a bit more information though, have you checked the battery voltage yet, , , the '85 doesn't need as much "juice" as the 1500's do, but your battery is still very important to fire the coils. Fresh gas, clean air filter and a strong battery will usually solve the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi john I recently purchased a Honda goldwing 1985 1200cc limited edition...I have checked if there is power to the coils...now I want to locate the ECU to see if there is any faults showing on it ...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The
The title says he has an '85 Ltd Edition...

No spark is usually an easy fix. Please give us a bit more information though, have you checked the battery voltage yet, , , the '85 doesn't need as much "juice" as the 1500's do, but your battery is still very important to fire the coils. Fresh gas, clean air filter and a strong battery will usually solve the problem.
The battery is good new air filter ....

·
Magic Moderator
4,318 Posts
This is the chart for the LED lights on the ECU. You'll find the ECU under the trunk, you have to bend and look under. The lights are on the left side when seated on the bike.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Hi john I recently purchased a Honda Goldwing 1985 1200cc limited edition...I have checked if there is power to the coils...now I want to locate the ECU to see if there is any faults showing on it ...
Doc,
I apologize, we are using Brand New forum software, and when I clicked on your post, it took me direct to the post and we don't see the title of the thread :(

We will have to train our memory cells to remember what the thread is, or back up the page so we can see the title :(

meanwhile, more astute forum members have glomed onto your problem and are helping you out.

I edited your Profile so that your bike model now shows up IF folks will click on your Username and then click on ABOUT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could someone please post the list
This is the chart for the LED lights on the ECU. You'll find the ECU under the trunk, you have to bend and look under. The lights are on the left side when seated on the bike. View attachment 320733
Thank you so much I wont get a chance to look until tomorrow... I'll keep you updated
Doc,
I apologize, we are using Brand New forum software, and when I clicked on your post, it took me direct to the post and we don't see the title of the thread :(

We will have to train our memory cells to remember what the thread is, or back up the page so we can see the title :(

meanwhile, more astute forum members have glomed onto your problem and are helping you out.
Thanks john 😀 trike lady has being very helpful...this site is amazing 😀😀
This is the chart for the LED lights on the ECU. You'll find the ECU under the trunk, you have to bend and look under. The lights are on the left side when seated on the bike. View attachment 320733
Trike lady I dont know how to thank you your amazing 😀😀
Welcome to the forum. Do you have an OEM service manual for the bike?
No unfortunately I dont !!!! I only got the motorcycle two days ago
Hi Denis and bike I have no one service manual as I only have the bike two days !!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doc,
click on your Avatar up in the top right corner, notice the new Red Dot?
That means you have a PM or Private Message, or "Conversation" as this new forum call it :(

I sent you a link to a manual there.
The ecu came up with a pbr/pbl fault I ordered a second hand part off ebay I hope it works !!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Try this. for grins?

I just restored a SEi (Same electrical system)

I get a no power/start evey other time I lifted the Nav computer and without realizing it. "Touched/pushed" on the right harness connector coming out of the fuse box.

There are three connectors. Left/center/right when looking at them with the Nav lid lifted.

I had a bad connection in the Right connector.

I could move the wires and watch the dash go nuts (on/off/flickering)

I cleaned up both ends of the connector (Electrical contact cleaner)

After cleaning/lubing the connector.

I couldn't disrupt the connections.

Something for you to rule out,seeing you just bought the bike.

I chased quite a few gremlins before I got it sorted!

Keep at it. you'll be rewarded in the end with a great bike. 😎

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
Doc,
It appears the sensors you are referring to measure intake manifold pressure and would not have any affect on spark. How sure are you that the issue is in fact spark? Are you sure enough to hold on the wire while you try to start the bike? If you have a fault code for both sensors I would suspect you either have a wiring issue or you have a large vacuum leak. I also wonder if you were checking compression and that set the code? If you have all the plugs out and spinning the engine with the starter the ECU will see no vacuum as there is none with the plugs out. This could set the Pb code?

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
Doc,
It appears the sensors you are referring to measure intake manifold pressure and would not have any affect on spark. How sure are you that the issue is in fact spark? Are you sure enough to hold on the wire while you try to start the bike? If you have a fault code for both sensors I would suspect you either have a wiring issue or you have a large vacuum leak. I also wonder if you were checking compression and that set the code? If you have all the plugs out and spinning the engine with the starter the ECU will see no vacuum as there is none with the plugs out. This could set the Pb code?
Right, it is highly unlikely that both sensors are bad and they won't prevent it from having spark, or starting even for that matter. They would just make it run bad, way too rich most likely.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doc,
Try this. for grins?

I just restored a SEi (Same electrical system)

I get a no power/start evey other time I lifted the Nav computer and without realizing it. "Touched/pushed" on the right harness connector coming out of the fuse box.

There are three connectors. Left/center/right when looking at them with the Nav lid lifted.

I had a bad connection in the Right connector.

I could move the wires and watch the dash go nuts (on/off/flickering)

I cleaned up both ends of the connector (Electrical contact cleaner)

After cleaning/lubing the connector.

I couldn't disrupt the connections.

Something for you to rule out,seeing you just bought the bike.

I chased quite a few gremlins before I got it sorted!

Keep at it. you'll be rewarded in the end with a great bike. 😎
Thank you I will try Monday !!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doc,
I definitely have no spark.... the plugs were in .. the 0 was flashing and w was lit up on the ecu....

1 - 20 of 108 Posts