Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks,

I was thinking about the quality of the Goldwing. Has the quality of the machines gone up or down since Mr. Honda died? I read nothing ever got past him, and everything had to be aproved by him.

I think The '82,'89, and '85 that I have now were built with care, maybe some of the cables, wiring, and hoses could have been better laid out.......

Tom

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TOJ wrote:
Hi Folks,

I was thinking about the quality of the Goldwing. Has the quality of the machines gone up or down since Mr. Honda died? I read nothing ever got past him, and everything had to be aproved by him.

I think The '82,'89, and '85 that I have now were built with care, maybe some of the cables, wiring, and hoses could have been better laid out.......

Tom
I think all the Honda models were and are built with very good quality. At first when I went from my 1200 to the 1500 I thought some of the changes like stamped cam pulleys and plastic timing belt covers represented a lowering of standars, but on more thought I suspect it's due to the effort Honda's made toward paring weight off the bike. Manufacturing any complex machine is a compendium of compromises. It's important to have the quality, but there's also the pressure to build a machine that's affordable, if no one can buy it, the quality is meaningless. I think Honda has done a very good job with this juggling act.I ride a 93 Wing with almost 100,000 miles on the clock. This bike has never had anything but routine maintenace and the expendables such as tires, brake pads and batteries replaced. To me that's quality.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I think its difficult to make a comparison. Each year the bike's purpose is refined, so is the design. So, after 30 years, there are 30 different views. When you compare the 80 with a bike made 20 years later... cant really compare.

I love the simplicity of the old ones, but the new ones are an integrated unit.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I think that the number of older ones that are around in excellent condition, is testemony to how well they are built. I am sure that 30years down the line, there will be plenty of 1500s and 1800s zooming around, still looking good. If I am still zooming around in 30years time I too will be very pleased, but I suspect that the bikes will be in better shape!!:goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

I think that time will tell ,I look at the 1800 and those that have done any high millage seem to show signs of looking a bit jadded the finnish on the paint and some alloy has lost its sparkle, the owners spend hours looking after them . I also notice that on the 1500 the finnish on the later models is not as good as early models. Dont know if its build quality or as I think cost cutting,that said the price for the latest model is always up on the previous year. If you put a 75 GL 1000 alongside a1500 valk then one is the natural progression from the other and build quailty is as good if not better?:waving::waving::waving: Colin.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Acyually i think that even though without a doubt Goldwings are a well built bike I think their durabilty is actually due to a number of reasons.

1. Goldwing riders by and large ride their bike reasonbly sedately. When was the last time you were passed by someone ringing out their wing.

2. Goldwing riders tend to be passionate about their bikes and take great care with them and maintain them well.

3. Goldwing's are often owned by people who get as much a thrill out of working on their bikes as riding them.

4. As Goldwings hold their value they tend not to be scrapped but ressurected when other bikes would be consigned to the scrap heap.

5. Goldwings are owned by older riders who know how to ride. I'm 39 and I have been asked on more than 1 occassion if I am old enough to ride that bike.

In summary the fact that Goldwings outlast other bikes is more a comment on who owns them than how they are built.

Andrew

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

After almost buying a 1800 this year, and reading everything I could get my eyes on about them. I believe that all the money for the 1800 was spent on the engine and tranny. The tupperware is so thin you can almost see through it, wont even talk about the frame, electrical problems out the wazoo. Now keeping in mind it is the most technologically advanced bike on the road, and there by should have more bugs. But I think they could have done better R+D and real world testing, for the money they want for them. Just my 4 cents worth.:grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner:

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Hondas are the most RELIABLE bikes built in the world. IMHO I am an old dirt bike racer and my last bikes were all KTMs. I felt their quality of parts was higher(Magura Bars, Hydralic Clutch,etc.. vs the Jap bikes. But most who raced the dirt would all agree Honda was number one on RELIABILITY. I think the feelings are mutual for the street.Quality is hard to define. I feel Ducati uses quality parts but lacks in reliability. My 05 is my first Goldwing.No problems at all so far, just smiles. I think it is the best touring bike all things considered. :cool:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
Acyually i think that even though without a doubt Goldwings are a well built bike I think their durabilty is actually due to a number of reasons.

1. Goldwing riders by and large ride their bike reasonbly sedately. When was the last time you were passed by someone ringing out their wing.

Andrew
Nearly every time I am driving a cage!!:whip::whip:

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.