Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In having a strong level of experience with single carburetor's on Yamaha XS 650's and Virago's of all sorts from many years ago, I learned some things that are useful to a Honda Goldwing GL1000 Induction Conversioneer that may prove useful on many facets when compared to what is currently available on the open market today. "High Performance" does not have to be EXPENSIVE for our bikes if we follow a fundemental approach.

I've threads on some on-going projects in experinemtation that await further progress (when time allows) such as THIS one. I will try and get a grouping of my threads together at some point soon in here.

Benefits?
Easier Starting is usually the first noticeable improvement.
Better Drivability is usually the second thing noticed.
More Efficiency is usually realized through less fuel consumption.
Cost Factor involved is greatly reduced over the open market options.
Overly Rich fuel charges are masked. A HUGE benefit to Conversioneer's!
...and many more benefits involved depending on the approach applied.

Other Members here have some Great options as well. One works so well that it has been adopted commercially for our application.
Another has a single-fire option proven over three decades ago.
Many run stick coils with great results.

For me, having a strong ignition to compliment my induction conversion has proven itself to be a succesful move for little money.

Conversioneer's, what "Do It Yourself" modifications have proven beneficial to your conversion? I do know what I know, but I certainly do not know everything as realized from One 36 Year Old Hot Rod.

I look forward to any input of "proven" Do-It-Yourself, higher performing ignition modifications. I'm interested in more working models than those theoretical models, but all conversation is welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
great idea,
you jogged my memory about a chappy that did just this not too long ago. he put together an ignition, multi fire i think he said.
and cheap !!!! like 50 bucks. unfortunately , no pictures of it ...come to think of it, no real details either. but i know he did it , cos he said he did. people kept askin him for some details , but he went all aggressive on them. i know he did it tho, cos he said he did.
as soon as i can find those posts , you can be sure i will post them here.
ps
conversioneer is not a word.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Either way, it is now a word and will certainly take root as one here.

Conversioneer - One who converts. A conversion of their factory induction, ignition or exhaust components, either singularly or together, for the enhancement of engine performance, reliability, economy, and overall enjoyment and satisfaction in drivability.
"I have replaced the four original carburetor's with only one that uses a intake manifold successfully and am now a Conversioneer!"

Conversioneering - The application of scientific, economic, social and practical knowledge in order to invent, design, build, maintain, research, and improve structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes associated with motorcycle transportation, racing or even wishful thinking.
"I would like to study the art and science of Conversioneering to successfully replace my ignition system"
Conversioneering is a broad discipline with a range of more specialized fields, each with a more specific emphasis on particular areas of the motorcycle and its application of induction, ignition, exhaust and more.

The term "Conversioneer" is now coined for any pocket. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Either way, it is now a word and will certainly take root as one here.

Conversioneer - One who converts. A conversion of their factory induction, ignition or exhaust components, either singularly or together, for the enhancement of engine performance, reliability, economy, and overall enjoyment and satisfaction in drivability.
"I have replaced the four original carburetor's with only one that uses a intake manifold successfully and am now a Conversioneer!"

Conversioneering - The application of scientific, economic, social and practical knowledge in order to invent, design, build, maintain, research, and improve structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes associated with motorcycle transportation, racing or even wishful thinking.
"I would like to study the art and science of Conversioneering to successfully replace my ignition system"
Conversioneering is a broad discipline with a range of more specialized fields, each with a more specific emphasis on particular areas of the motorcycle and its application of induction, ignition, exhaust and more.

The term "Conversioneer" is now coined for any pocket. :D
great, i now have a new word. ( i'll never use it because it sounds stupid ) now how about the fellow who
made that ignition for 50 bucks ?
care to point that out as quick ?
i am laughing at those posts now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nope, you got me there.
i see you are well versed with a google search, here's what i was able to turn up. re multi fire ignition.
this fella ( who sure talked a lot but never delivered info )
was talking about the C5 .
i run the C5 in two GL1000's and it is without a doubt, the best single upgrade you can do. ( well, DOHC would be good )

"QUOTE "
Overpriced.
...for us at least
Most of what they are doing has already been done on the forums.
The tower coils were brought out in the open via Dave a couple years ago.
The optical stuff isn't new and explained in the forums.
And multi-discharge is cheap for all of us now.

They too have a "one plate fits all" approach. Pick the number of pick-ups, clock them, drill for mounting, 2 or 4 cylinder wheel and... SHA-ZAMM! We in business...

Street applications will find no benefit in using optical vs. Hall (magnetic) triggering.

@ $450.00 they are re-couping their development costs, ...probably on a 2.5 multiplication factor. Maybe even higher.
You and I can put the same thing together for less than $100.00. If you're really thrifty, sub-$50.00 is a truth.
"UNQUOTE "
there are several fanciful statements here. and i suspect downright untruths. at least, nothing proven to be fact. ( there's more )

·
Administrator
57,460 Posts
I have never owned anything smaller than the '84 GL1200 and the '86SEi 1200....
after that, I bought a '94SE and when Penske Trucking decided they wanted to own it, (see my Signature "accident" ) that put it down for good, and me in the hospital ICU for 11 days.

couple years later, against my lawyer's direct order, I bought a beautiful '98SE down in Tampa, FL and rode it 3,000 miles all over the country before I managed to somehow find my way back home in Phoenix, Arizona.

It was two years before I told him about that.... :rofl:

Anyway, he finally was able to get my case resolved...

I have used Google Advanced Search for so long, I don't remember when I first started using it... occassionally use Bing, or Yahoo, and they come up with different things sometimes.... but google pretty much owns the search field.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Overpriced.
...for us at least

They too have a "one plate fits all" approach. Pick the number of pick-ups, clock them, drill for mounting, 2 or 4 cylinder wheel and... SHA-ZAMM! We in business...

Street applications will find no benefit in using optical vs. Hall (magnetic) triggering.

@ $450.00 they are re-couping their development costs, ...probably on a 2.5 multiplication factor. Maybe even higher.
You and I can put the same thing together for less than $100.00. If you're really thrifty, sub-$50.00 is a truth.
an easy goog shows the above quote coming from cm85 and is in reference to a c5 ignition system available for early GWs
http://www.c5ignitions.com/motorcycle-ignitions.html

i would love to run a c5 type ignition that apparently can be easily replicated diy for under 50 bux,

please provide the details?

·
Registered
36 Posts
CM85 ? is this in fact the instigator of THIS thread ? crikey.
who woulda guessed ?
get ready to be befuddled by some humdingers of answers.
hey capn.... wanna lay off the laughing gas before you give an answer ?:ROFL:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i see you are well versed with a google search, here's what i was able to turn up. re multi fire ignition.
this fella ( who sure talked a lot but never delivered info )
was talking about the C5 .
i run the C5 in two GL1000's and it is without a doubt, the best single upgrade you can do. ( well, DOHC would be good )

"QUOTE "
Overpriced.
...for us at least

"UNQUOTE "
there are several fanciful statements here. and i suspect downright untruths. at least, nothing proven to be fact. ( there's more )
If you're >still< interested in a inexpensive, high performance optical ignition solution for your bike, and you're not find it elsewhere from this board, and want it from me in particular, then continue following my high performance threads here on this board.

When time allows for it, I will show you how to assemble your own.
Until then, enjoy what you have and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
and btw cm85, you are now at the top and first hit of a goog search, with your comments

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
If you're >still< interested in a inexpensive, high performance optical ignition solution for your bike, and you're not find it elsewhere from this board, and want it from me in particular, then continue following my high performance threads here on this board.

When time allows for it, I will show you how to assemble your own.
Until then, enjoy what you have and ride safe.
i doubt anyone will be interested in what you have to say about anything, if you are unwilling to answer simple questions, on comments or claims that you make,

regardless of what you do, the claim and the question stands
===============================
Overpriced.
...for us at least

an easy goog shows the above quote coming from cm85 and is in reference to a c5 ignition system available for early GWs

i would love to run a c5 type ignition that apparently can be easily replicated diy for under 50 bux,

the topic is after all
GL1000 High Performance Ignition DIY mods - Single Carburetor

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
b : a public meeting place for open discussion
c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i doubt anyone will be interested in what you have to say about anything,

if you are unwilling to answer simple questions, on comments or claims that you make regardless of what you do, the claim and the question stands
===============================

In the evolving course of this thread I will when time allows for it.
Replicating a comparable ignition is quite involved no matter the dollar value attached to it.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again, when I've time for it.
It's quite involved and I've much going on right now that does not afford the time necessary to walk anyone through it.
Bashing me or this forum won't make it happen any sooner, so please stop doing it.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I kinda like the ignition system that I have that completely got rid of the 34 year old vacuum advance, pulse generators, igniters, coils, and wiring... Something tells me that nothing you post in the evolving course of this thread will come close to it or meet the price points that you previously bragged about, but hey, I have been to Missouri a few times, so as the saying goes: Show Me.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again, when I've time for it.
It's quite involved and I've much going on right now that does not afford the time necessary to walk anyone through it.
Bashing me or this forum won't make it happen any sooner, so please stop doing it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just my 2 cents

I haven't been here in a looong while. I hang out across the street Looks like this is still going on my Goodness:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
my first post on this forum. what is the purpose of this subject ?
i would really like to upgrade my old ignition. just because it is old.
a first read of this subject here , the author asks for input... then it seems he has built one 2 years ago ?
and has no time to post any findings or even parts used such as the type of coils etc. ???
hopefully , we dont wait too long. 0:)
this one is about gl1000 & related stuff according to the title and this section is very new, i think they are trying to move forward from extremely long reads to get info , which is all i can point you to for your 1200,

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/356137-coil-alternative-gl1100s-probably-1200s-too.html

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/497945-convert-4cyl-oldwing-coils-newer-gl1500-coils-hotter-spark.html

searching is way better tho can also end up in more of the same, you might find a separate thread where an individual provides a nice easy reading focused thread with all info related to what they are doing that ideally is inline with what you are looking for or interested in

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.