·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone, :waving:

I have a 1978 HONDA GOLDWINGGL1000

I am having trouble and I think it may be the end of my ride. :sadguy:

I went to top off my radiator and after a moment or so I noticed water going into the carbs and leaking out of the carbs onto the ground.

The bike was riding fine just pryor to this and I need to know if it is possible something cracked inside the engine to cause this to happen and if I can repair it?

Could there have been to much water in the radiator when it was stored over the winter and froze causing something to crack? like a car engine except car engines have freeze plugs to prevent cracking of the block.

HELP!:praying:

THANK YOU!!!!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Head gasket?
I can't think of any other connection between the radiator and carburetors.
Pull the spark plugs and see if there's coolant in one of the cylinders.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

It's very unlikely that you are getting water in the carbs. It's far more likely that the coolant pipes on the top of the motor are leaking somewhere. I'd start looking at those first.

You would have to SERIOUSLY flood the motor with water to be getting it up into the carbs.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Good point Broke Winger.:blackstuff:

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

kakoron wrote:
Could there have been to much water in the radiator when it was stored over the winter and froze causing something to crack? like a car engine except car engines have freeze plugs to prevent cracking of the block.

HELP!:praying:

THANK YOU!!!!
Freeze plug is a misnomer. They are actually core plugs used for the casting process and are not there to protect the engine.

Hope it is something simple.

JD

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you, I'll consider that... I am mostly worried I have something cracked internally, if that's possible? the water is coming out of both sides from the carbs after filling it.

It seems I may have goofed by storing my bike with to much water in the radiator over the winter... seems funny , it was starting up and running fineI hadn't driven far enough to get it hot so it went unnoticed till I went to check the fluids that is when I noticed it was low so I filled it upthat is when I realized the water was getting into the carbs.

Anything else you think it may be please let me know.

Thank you for your response. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It did flood the motor.. the plugs were soaked!

I could see water settled in there under the air filter cap down in that square area and it was coming out from were the carb boots meet the carbs. are you sure there is nothing internally that could have cracked? and wouldn't I have water in the oil if it were a head gasket?

Thank you for your help... :cheesygrin:

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

You can check the oil level. Any leakage inside engine over time would most likely find its' way there also.

JD

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

kakoron wrote:
It did flood the motor.. the plugs were soaked!

I could see water settled in there under the air filter cap down in that square area and it was coming out from were the carb boots meet the carbs. are you sure there is nothing internally that could have cracked? and wouldn't I have water in the oil if it were a head gasket?

Thank you for your help... :cheesygrin:
You've got the air cleaner off and spark plugs out so refill the radiator and see where the water appears first.
And the head gasket can leak between the water jackets and cylinder without leaking into the oil but yes check the oil for coolant too.

BTW: Welcome to the greatest Goldwing forum on the planet.:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thank you,

I checked for water in the oil there was none.. I don't see any oil anywhere in any other fluid, bike runs! just have to keep fluid very low in radiator. Can't drive it this way or at all till I figure outhow the water is getting in the carbs so I can fix it if possible and can fill the radiator back up to full.

I spent all day drying out the bike just to get it running again.

I'm bummed..:sadguy:

But thank you, ALL of you for responding.

Your a great bunch of guys!:congrats:

God bless you all!

kakoron.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

It sounds like I didn't crack anything enternally from all of your responses. More reasurance is welcome tho that I didn't, but I'll take the bad news as well if someone thinks I have... It's aneed to know.

Wish I knew more about the internal aspects of the engine.

I'm almost certian this is from being lame minded and forgetting to replace the water with radiator fluid when I stored it for the winter. I thought there was enough radiator fluid in it... must have been water.

Like Fred Sanford sez... "BIG DUMMY!"

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Iunfortunately had my business go under when my contracts ended (satellite tech) and have a very limited amount of money to work with.. since I was given a shared amount of work.

I don't have a manual so I have no pics of the lay out or schematics.

Anyone have anything resembling the inside of the engine? or anything that would show me something that would help?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i'm sorry but i dont have any solutions for you but i would like to ask those more informed, is there any freeze plugs in the heads? i mean inside like under the rockers

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks, If you hear anything let me know.

I'll have to play it by ear for now.

Kakoron

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

To the best of my knowledge the plenum on the 1500 has coolant running through it.

No idea if the 1000 is similar.:stumped: You might get lucky.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

no coolant running through plenum on 1000

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

notodd wrote:
no coolant running through plenum on 1000
I'm still looking for this mysterious plenum, all I can find is an air box between the carburetors and four intake manifolds but no plenum.:shock::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.