Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

How many 1800 owners have had front end wobbles issues? (Choose all that apply)

• Front tire wear and cupping

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wobble in front end under 40mph

• Wobble in front end over 40mph

• Stem bearing wear or failure

• Added a Super Brack to correct problem

• My problems were fixed by the above means

• My problems were not fixed by the above means

• Just drive it like it is

• No issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If anyone has had issues or damages due to front end wobble on the GL1800, here is the link for the class action lawsuit. I personally think it's a way for lawyers to make money but there seems to be some real issues on this. One thing about it, if you don't sign up, your out. http://www.hbsslaw.com/honda_pressrelease.htm

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Pity it's limited to 1800 owners only. The article misspoke when it said:

"Honda's Gold Wing motorcycle debuted in 1975, and introduced the GL1800 in 2001. According to the complaint, the design defect exists in every model year of GL1800 production."

It should read:

"Honda's Gold Wing motorcycle debuted in 1975, and introduced the GL1800 in 2001. According to the complaint, the design defect exists in every model year of Goldwing production."

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I never noticed a hint of a wobble on my 1800 with 70,000 miles on it.Early on I installed the fork brace and steering bearings as I have done on my 1500 and 1200. My 1500 had a wobble before I added the brace. My 1800 is hard on tires with the front left side shoeing the most wear,The back left shows cupping eventually on every tire I have used,But no wobbles.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Odd, my 1500 had that problem big time before the conversion. I replaced tires long before they were suppose to have. 5 times in 3 years. After the conversion I changed the triple tree as well, never a problem again.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Pity it's limited to 1800 owners only. The article misspoke when it said:

"Honda's Gold Wing motorcycle debuted in 1975, and introduced the GL1800 in 2001. According to the complaint, the design defect exists in every model year of GL1800 production."

It should read:

"Honda's Gold Wing motorcycle debuted in 1975, and introduced the GL1800 in 2001. According to the complaint, the design defect exists in every model year of Goldwing production."
I think the problem can showitself on any two wheeledmotorcycle made :baffled:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

That link is 2 years old. Still valid?

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

There is a little bit of misinformation here, the suit was filed in Illinois Nov 06 and does not appear to have gone anywhere since.

The lawyers want everyone to sign up, but it is debatable whether that is necessary as the suit specifically states it is on behalf of all Goldwing 1800 owners. Anyway, if a design fault was proven then the authority responsible would almost certainly require a recall in the normal fashion.

Goldwings will probably be obsolete before this gets settled. It does make one wonder if this suit had a part in motorcycle manufacture moving back to Japan?

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

iam fed up with reading things that just want to knock the 1800,,, ,,frames cracking,,,front end wobble,, tyres worn,,,,shitty head lights,,, bad fuel consumption,,,,, Bog off and buy second best,,cos the 1800s the finest motorcycle ever to grace Tarmac,, THE END,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

This is a fix!!!!! 10 votes,,,, yet theres only 4 of us with 1800, replied,,,

I SMELL A witch hunt!!!!!!,,

theres a snake in the grass some where here i think:p

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:)BoB, its late here,, iam off to bed,,, take full command,and act as you feel appropriate,, night night,,,pp

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I will admit that I goofed and voted before reading the thread...

It won't let me "unvote", and I went and edited the info line to indicate 1800 owners poll. Probably took a dip when I tried to "unvote" a few times.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I have never had a wobble with my bike. It runs straight and true, fully balanced and will do so at speed or at a crawl.

Those extra votes have got to be those jealous 1500 guys. They want a set of those fancy headlights so bad they cannot stand it. Especially that Taffy fellow. :action::action::action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,151 Posts
imported post

Yeah, that's what it is.

Taffy is so jealous of those good looking headlights, he can't stand it LOL

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The only issue I have with my 1800 is wear lines to the right and left of center of the front tire. The bike is rock solid at any speed. I did buy it used from the police Dept in San Antonio Texas with 29000 miles on it. Don't know if any upgrades were done but this thing is like riding a rocket! Just posted the info for everyone else to make their own call.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

I have the low speed wobble, changing the front tire didn't help. Looks as if it's time for roller bearings....

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Actually most of the time although it defies logic it is the rear tire. Kit

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
Could someone explain how there can be 24 votes for an option when only 11 people have voted?

I thinktoo many people playing with the multiple choices and it screwed up the bottom line total count. Either that or the total count is just wrong and not adding up all the votes.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

I've had 2 wings and no wobble with either one....what is the "design flaw"...if you want a wobble...try a kawasaki concours with loose head bearings....that's a crazy, bars shaking wobble....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.