Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

here are some possible replacements for Honda Moly-60 lube, but not sure if it should be used in the differential or not.
Slipkote SM-60 moly paste
Moly EP lube
Loctite Moly Paste 65
Molykote MO 62 Paste
Bel-Ray assembly Lube.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

here are some possible replacements for Honda Moly-60 lube, but not sure if it should be used in the differential or not.
Slipkote SM-60 moly paste
Moly EP lube
Loctite Moly Paste 65
Molykote MO 62 Paste
Bel-Ray assembly Lube.

I wouldn't substitute with the Moly EP or the assembly Lube... very low percentage of Moly... CV grease has a somewhat higher moly content, but wouldn't substitute that either... "Moly" should be in the 50% or higher contentto be called a substitute..

Example below of Moly EP Grease...

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I don't know what all the fuss is about trying to locate the REAL stuff! :stumped:

Available at either your local dealer, or from CycleMax - Honda Moly 60 Paste

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I was at the shop that I have install my tires, just mounting the tire on the rim, he does an exceptional job on the tire mounting, but I won't let him do any other work on my bike. He never heard of Moly 60. They had to look it up, call their supplier to see if they could get it. Then didn't seem like he wanted to order it and tried to talk me out of it........ Like he did the dyna beads......

Reactions: 777ErikWells

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

that's EXACTLY the problem. !! the ding-bats who work in the motorcycle shops don't want to put forth the effort.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Thats why I figured if Im going to own this bike, I need to learn to work on it. Not that Im going to do everything right, but at least when I make a mistake, it didn't cost me $100 and hour to get it done wrong, nor will it cost me $100 and hour to fix it..........

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Armo wrote:
that's EXACTLY the problem. !! the ding-bats who work in the motorcycle shops don't want to put forth the effort.
I spend more time educating my guy than he does mounting my tires...

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

here's the problem:
before the recession, there were so many motorcycle dealers, you could throw a rock in any direction and hit one, (well sort of) ,after the recession, they all closed up and now the closet Honda dealer is two hour drive away. eaiser to order on-line.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Armo wrote:
here's the problem:
before the recession, there were so many motorcycle dealers, you could throw a rock in any direction and hit one, (well sort of) ,after the recession, they all closed up and now the closet Honda dealer is two hour drive away. eaiser to order on-line.
If you have a Honda car dealer close by they use and sell the same Moly paste as the motorcycle dealers. Of course my local car dealer is more of a stealer than the bike dealer.:shock:

I went with the Loctite 51048 65%, 8oz can with a brush in the lid so no mess application.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I will only use the Honda 60 moly paste. Just coat splines like you are painting them. A little bit goes a long ways. I have been working on a tube of Honda 6o Moly paste for at least 10 years now without a spline failure. Famous last words of most motorcycle mechanics are, "I have something here just as good."
Gumbyred

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I found it in my local shop here in Hawaii, so I grabed a tube as the other one is half gone. Damn this stuff is like liquid gold by what they charge for it. But was shocked to see it on the shelf. Savannah, GA Dealer didn't know what I was talking about

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Like said earlier, why try to find i sub. when the real thing is available online and shipped to you door at a resonable price?????:?:?:?:dumb:

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just left the Honda dealer in Modesto, California and they told me the moly 60 lube is no longer available and they do not have a replacement at this time. So you are on your own to get this lube.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Try a Honda car dealer PN 08734-0001

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,156 Posts
LOCTITE LB 8012 Moly Paste

(Known as Loctite Moly Paste )

LOCTITE® LB 8012™ Moly Paste, metal-free, very low friciton lubricates press fits, protects during break-in and under high static loads up to 750°F (400°C). Allows maximum clamping from available torque.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

same thing is at Sears; http://www.sears.com/search=moly paste 51048

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/j...Lubricants-Industrial&infoParam.campaignId=WR

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TS-70 Moly Paste With 70% MoS2 [Ts70;70;Moly Lube;Mol
Single 4 lb (Qt) Can

TS-70 Moly Paste is a thread compound with 70% molybdenum disulfide, NLGI No.2, especially suitable for wet or corrosive conditions, including subsea applications. It has highly consistent torque values for makeup and breakout.

http://tsmoly.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=86

if 60% is good, 70% is better :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your friendly Walmart has Moly 60...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/LOCTITE-5...e-Compound-Paste-8-oz.-Brush-Top-Can/40723834

8 oz for$23.79

what could be better? go to Walmart and ask for Moly 60 by Loctite

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

all of this was found with Bing Search... use the internet folks, it works.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I had to replace the spline on my '86 recently. The local dealer had the Molly 60 in a tube. It was around ten dollars. It was my first time doing the rear wheel on a Goldwing. After I got the stuff I could see why the book says to use it.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Moly 60 has been replaced at Honda by Moly 77 assembly PASTE, but I would go aftermarket and get the GREASE not paste = for our specific uses
there is a difference, dont have the article in hand today (it was on actual paper!!!)
Will give my buddy a shout

(shouting at computer) HEY You Know Who!! I see you looking in this window!!
did you figure out what that meant on where to use-- and not use-- the Moly 77 PASTE?
something about the end cup of driveshaft??
Anyone see that article?

We used an old half-full tube of moly60 for the rear wheel splines and related parts, with plenty left for another bikes use!

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
If you doubt how well this stuff sticks to the spline parts, wait till you have to get in and
spray- dig- wipe- spray dig wipe it all out of there, in a tight space of the hub
Repeat several times till clean...then put new Moly on!!!!

TIP: Use latex gloves- you know how spark plug anti-seize is the worst thing to get off your fingers?
Move over! Old Moly is here~
That gets on your clothes- forget the shirt-toss it, On your hands- plan on lots of Orange Goop and scrubbing~
Removal of a few layers of human skin for a pita job well done!!,,you didn't need all those layers anyway.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.