1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Read this today;

By Mike Ramsey And Neal E. Boudette

"Honda Motor Co. plans to shift a major chunk of its manufacturing to North America over the next two years, bulking up production capacity in the region by as much as 40% to combat a strengthening yen that has made Japanese cars too expensive to export around the world.

The 63-year-old car maker is accelerating its move away from Japanese manufacturing after huge challenges this year. Natural disasters and the yen's gains pummeled its production and profit. It also confronts a vastly different market than a few years ago: the U.S. auto industry is revitalized and customers that once flocked ..."

Honda bring the GW back to the USA!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

It's not comming back.Unfortunatly my inerscince tell me that moving the productin back to japan was the first step in the death of the goldwing all together.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

Nah...Goldwings are their cash cows. They will be around for a long time to come. The wing may be presented in a different form in a few years, but it will still be around.

The Wings are due for a major overhaul, however. BMW K1600GT and Victory Vision is giving it a run for its money right now. The 2012 Wing was a bit of a letdown for many and consumers started looking elsewhere.

I expect the new iteration will follow the BMW models and it will become sportier and sleeker. I would love to see a naked wing ala the Valkyrie (with fuel injection), but I don't think that's going to happen. Sports tourer is my prediction for future models of the wing.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

JackfromCT wrote:
I expect the new iteration will follow the BMW models and it will become sportier and sleeker. I would love to see a naked wing ala the Valkyrie (with fuel injection), but I don't think that's going to happen. Sports tourer is my prediction for future models of the wing.
They tried that once, it was called the Rune, and it was a overpriced, over styled exaggeration of a Valkyrie. Didn't work out too well, although the bike itself was well made.:cool:

Gene:action:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

JackfromCT wrote:
Sports tourer is my prediction for future models of the wing.
I doubt it. They already have two models of those with the ST and the NT. If the Goldwing is still making a profit for them then they will keep making them. As for competing with the Victory, they really aren't. Most of the people that like the Victory don't really like the Goldwing and vice-versa.

John

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I'd like to see a less monstrous, over-weight bike. Some thing that is easier to work on and not so compact. It appears that after the GL1200s the GW started to get really fat.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

In the local news it is rumored that honda is thinking of building a plant here in N. Las Vegas

I don't like the europen styles, the local police are using bmw's and they look wimpy and feminine.

I collect lionel trains as a hobby, once the production moved to china it's hard to get parts and service, proubly be the same with new bikes in a few years

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

They should never have pulled the Goldwing factory to Japan. Honda enjoyed good sales and reputation by having the factory here, and now they are paying the price for pulling it to Japan.
All that stuff about the Yen they already knew about, it's been happening for years. The USA is their biggest market for bikes and maybe cars too, and that's where they should have stayed all along.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Sometimes I wonder how they can afford to develop new bikes and attempt to market them here in N.A. This last summer I didn't see a single DN-01 or VFR1200 (1250?) on the road, and saw exactly 1 Varadero. Say what you will about the styling of these bikes (take it or leave it), but it must be very, very dissapointing for them to have such poor sales. Given this situation, I'd imagine they'd be very reluctant to tamper much with the GL1800 formula... maybe finally an electrically adjustable windshield, an automatic transmission and/or DCT paddleshift option, but I think other than that I wouldn't expect too much in the way of change aside from a little different look to the fairing (they've already said they can't build an electrically adjustable windshield into current fairing shape).

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I predict in 2014 or 2015 an all new Goldwing from Honda that will once again set the standard in touring. It does not matter to me that it is now made in Japan. It has always been from Japan to me anyway.

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

Dont worry !
My 1975 K1 GL 1000(made in japan), is much better overall quality ,than my 2006 GL 1800(made in USA).
I havent worked on any 2012 yet , but hopefully someday ?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
Sometimes I wonder how they can afford to develop new bikes and attempt to market them here in N.A. This last summer I didn't see a single DN-01 or VFR1200 (1250?) on the road, and saw exactly 1 Varadero. Say what you will about .
Stepping up to the soapbox

I saw one Dn-01 in the dealer and it is still there. The DCT seems like a cool idea but it takes away from the "motorcycleness" (for lack of a better word) and makes it more like a scooter. I think that is one of the reasons the DN01 didn't do so well was it was a lot of money for essentially a scooter.

I think the GW will be around in maybe a sportier fashion but not sport tourer like. If they could pump up the brakes a little more and make it turn just a little better. It would be way cool. I don't have an 1800 but these are some of the things I noticed riding my brother's 1800 over my(his former) 1500. The fuel injection in the 1800 is real good and they have lowered the center of gravity so it turns well, but just a little bit more.

I have to agree about the comparisons though. It seems that once you have either a GW fan or a BMW fan it is hard to change that. Around my way there are a lot of people who swear by the wing and won't consider anything else.

Stepping down off the soapbox after adding my $.02

Later,

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
Sometimes I wonder how they can afford to develop new bikes and attempt to market them here in N.A. This last summer I didn't see a single DN-01 or VFR1200 (1250?) on the road, and saw exactly 1 Varadero. Say what you will about the styling of these bikes (take it or leave it), but it must be very, very dissapointing for them to have such poor sales. .
VFR's and Varadero's are pretty hugely popular her in Europe, I suspect they were never going to be a seller in the USA.
As for the DN-01, that does not sell well here as far as I know and I think they must be more of a concept idea than a bike that was supposed to fly off the shop floor.:?

As we all know, Mother Honda keeps things very close to her chest and I doubt we will get wind of any changes to come with the Goldwing, before they are officially announced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.