Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

Nice! Shame it had to come to this though.

B. Settlement Benefits. Pursuant to the Settlement, Honda will make available its Frame Inspection and Remediation Program to all Settlement Class Members for the lifetime of their motorcycle(s), free of charge. Honda will repair the Frame Weld Condition of any Class Vehicle that was not previously repaired or if necessary perform additional repairs for the Frame Weld Condition for a Class Vehicle. Honda will also replace the frame free of charge for any Class Vehicle that:

(i) develops a crack or cracks in or on the top of the lower cross member frame weld(s); or

(ii) develops a crack or cracks around the entire lower cross member frame weld(s); or

(iii) subsequently develops a crack or cracks on the lower cross member frame weld(s) after being previously re-welded pursuant to the Frame Safety Recalls; or

(iv) subsequently evidences a Frame Weld Condition on the lower cross member frame weld(s) after being previously re-welded pursuant to the Frame Safety Recalls; or

(v) subsequently evidences an improper weld of the lower cross member frame after being previously re-welded pursuant to the Frame Safety Recalls as determined from the Honda Frame Weld Inspection Chart.

In addition, Honda’s obligations to the Class Vehicles pursuant to this Settlement are fully transferable to all subsequent owners.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

So, why does it take a court order to get Honda, or anybody, to do the right thing? Oh, they'll go out of their way to sell one but when it comes time to do the warranty on them, you're on your own, buddy!

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

The only thing I'm curious about here is those that have been previously turned away from the recall notice due to having a trailer hitch on their bike.

I see nothing in this settlement about "abuse" or hitches, so does that mean that the trailer haulers are also included in this settlement?

Mike

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Wing-Rider wrote:
So, why does it take a court order to get Honda, or anybody, to do the right thing? Oh, they'll go out of their way to sell one but when it comes time to do the warranty on them, you're on your own, buddy!
I can think of a few reasons: while they delay they sell GLs; they can officially deny any problem by blaming it on "internet rumor mongering"; it affects Honda's 'we can out engineer any bike manufacturer" and engineering excellence reputation; and it'll cost them money and prestige.

The lawsuit only covers US based bikes. It sounds like the EU lawyers need to get involved to make sure the riders over there are covered. I would have liked the settlement to cover up to 2008 but as the newer bikes age, chances are they'll need to be included.

I'm glad that the suit was resolved in owners favor and that the facts and NTSA agreed with those who took the time to file complaints. Now, we need to work on the front fork problem. I'd think that one settlement on the GL will make the second one a bit easier.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I hope that the aluminum frames don't turn out to be troublesome for all 1800s. It will be interesting to see if the next generation bikes stay with aluminum or go back to steel.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Good to know. I'll eventually get a GL1800 but nothing *really* new as the prices are still up there.

Ummm mabe not Chris ....

To: All persons and entities within the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands who own Honda Gold Wing GL-1800 motorcycles, model years 2001 through 2004 as of September 9, 2008.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Somehow the 1800 became a bit less attractive to me.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

The 1800 is still an awesome machine! The lawsuit was/is aboutthat Mother Honda knew there was a problem in the welds and did nothing about it until there was a problem to save money on the bottom line............kinda like sweeping it under the rug so nobody sees it. :shock:

All manufactured bikes have had problems in the past and will in the future. Honda have learned their lesson as they changed the process and inspection of the welds and have you noticed that there is no mention of any weld recalls after 2004? :cooldevil:

As far as I am concerned, I will have my frame inspected every year from now on (free of charge according to Honda) and just keep watch over it like I do my airplane. (It has Airworthiness Directives set by the FAA as well). It doesn't mean people stop buying airplanes or motorcycles because of a recall or a known issue. I plan on flying and riding for a long time to come!

Matter of fact, I am scheduled for a frame inspection next Tuesday at our local Honda dealer. :goofygrin:I will be there in person to inspect the welds myself with the mechanic just for my personal benefit.

I love my 1800 and plan on riding it until I'm so old that I can keep it upright! :cooldevil:

Just my 2 cents...........I can give you change back if you want me to! :)

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
Flyone wrote:
.....]I love my 1800 and plan on riding it until I'm so old that I can keep it upright! :cooldevil:
Could you please keep on subject about Goldwings.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
D-Rod!! I know what you have on your mind trying to take care of all those girls on your aviatar!!!! :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Flyone wrote:
Matter of fact, I am scheduled for a frame inspection next Tuesday at our local Honda dealer. :goofygrin:I will be there in person to inspect the welds myself with the mechanic just for my personal benefit.
How long does that take? A friend of mine wanted to do the same thing and was told it would take the better part of the day, because they strip it down fairly well.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Hey Mike! Hope you are doing well............I believe your right, it will take the better part of a day. I plan on dropping it off and coming back later when everything is opened up to take a peek.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

Hi Flyone, Could you elaborate on the "FREE" inspection. I understand and agree that you are special, but is that something special just for you or for all 1800s. What years does it include?

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
Nice! Shame it had to come to this though.

B. Settlement Benefits. Pursuant to the Settlement, Honda will make available its Frame Inspection and Remediation Program to all Settlement Class Members for the lifetime of their motorcycle(s), free of charge. Honda will repair the Frame Weld Condition of any Class Vehicle that was not previously repaired or if necessary perform additional repairs for the Frame Weld Condition for a Class Vehicle. Honda will also replace the frame free of charge for any Class Vehicle that:

(i) develops a crack or cracks in or on the top of the lower cross member frame weld(s); or

(ii) develops a crack or cracks around the entire lower cross member frame weld(s); or

(iii) subsequently develops a crack or cracks on the lower cross member frame weld(s) after being previously re-welded pursuant to the Frame Safety Recalls; or

(iv) subsequently evidences a Frame Weld Condition on the lower cross member frame weld(s) after being previously re-welded pursuant to the Frame Safety Recalls; or

(v) subsequently evidences an improper weld of the lower cross member frame after being previously re-welded pursuant to the Frame Safety Recalls as determined from the Honda Frame Weld Inspection Chart.

In addition, Honda’s obligations to the Class Vehicles pursuant to this Settlement are fully transferable to all subsequent owners.
Hey D-Rod.......It's in Section B of your quote...........

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

That says to all Settlement Class Members for the lifetime of their motorcycle(s), free of charge. The settlement covers 2001 to 2004.

Quote from Settlement "To: All persons and entities within the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands who own Honda Gold Wing GL-1800 motorcycles, model years 2001 through 2004 as of September 9, 2008."

I don't remember what year yours is. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

Flyone wrote:
As far as I am concerned, I will have my frame inspected every year from now on (free of charge according to Honda) and just keep watch over it like I do my airplane. (It has Airworthiness Directives set by the FAA as well). It doesn't mean people stop buying airplanes or motorcycles because of a recall or a known issue. I plan on flying and riding for a long time to come!
editted for length

big difference between a Goldwing and a plane. The ADs are federal law and MUST be complied with, there is no choice in the matter, just ask your IA. The frame inspection is voluntary.

I did a dye check on mine, no cracks yet.

Matt,

Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic, Inspection Authorization.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Matt G wrote:
big difference between a Goldwing and a plane. The ADs are federal law and MUST be complied with, there is no choice in the matter, just ask your IA. The frame inspection is voluntary.

I did a dye check on mine, no cracks yet.

Matt,

Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic, Inspection Authorization.
Hey Matt, I appreciate that and yes I do understand AD's and optional SB's as I am an Avionics Technician and ran an FAA Part 145 Repair Station for many years. That wasn't my point. People were talking about staying away from 1800's and not considering buying one because of the frame weld issue and I guess my airplane example wasn't that good or confusing at best! :shock:

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
I don't remember what year yours is. Sorry.
Look at my signature............2002

Did you forget your glasses again??:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.