Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I've taken a shine to the ST's. Have ever since I first saw one pass me on the Moreno cutoff on I5. Midlife crisis notwithstanding, any goldwingers ever owned/ridden one? I'm not looking for a comparo per se just curious as to how you liked the ST from a goldwing owner's perspective.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Yes.. CJ and some others.. do a search for ST1300... 6 pages of stuff comes up... HERE is one of CJ's Threads..

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

My buddy just picked up an '06 ST1300 with just 6k miles and parked his '86 GL1200 in the garage. He says it's almost as smooth as his Wing but a lot more agile and more fun to ride. The electric slide windshield is his favorite feature. I can relate to that. He added the trunk with the back pad for the passenger but his wife says it's not as comfortable as the Wing back there. Someday he may let me ride it.....

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Yes, I had a 97 ST1100 before my GW.

Frankly I couldn't warm up to the bike. Coming from a Magna and VFR, I was hoping to sorta combine the two and naturally the ST came to mind. More neutral sitting position, still somewhat sporty in nature (right?), long distance tourer.

I guess my body type just didn't fit the ergos. My wrists were going numb so I bought a riser. Still had wrist pressure and had to shake out my hands every few miles.

Stock seat about killed my butt and lower back, so aftermarket seat...cha-ching.

Windshield caused buffeting but never got around to experimenting with the various solutions. Again...$$$.

The bike is fairly top heavy, didn't care for the low speed maneuvering. Weight of a Goldwing BTW.

Bottom line, I feel they are a compromise between the VFR and Wing. Nothing really stood out as exceptional about the bike, and to get it somewhat comfortable it needed more than I was willing to spend.

Now the 99 VFR I had...man, wish I still had that one for short trips around town. So much fun.

·
Premium Member
68,526 Posts
imported post

I had a 93 ST 1100.. Really liked the bike.. It had progressive spring front and back, Helli bars [a must] Sta In Tune S/S exhaust, Taller after market wind shield and Corbin seat.. The bike is fast, flexible, with a 300 plus range.. The bike is smooth and quite and can scare the crape out of you.. It will take all you can give it.. Side bags hold enough and with a rear trunk it'd made a tour bike.. The only draw back is the heat.. It hits your lower legs.. The 2 upper pockets on a hot day will make popcorn...

The 1500 I have now is heavy but can be put through the paces.. Has more space and is a lot more comfortable.. The ST got 50mpg the Wing 40.. For 2 up riding the Winghas more room..Too old to be chasing the rockets or I'd probably still have it.......................

Attachments

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Great breakdown Chris. Thanks. I've heard of the VFR but never looked at one. All the things you didn't like about the ST are likely issues I might have especially back and wrists and top heavy bikes scare the crap out of me. Heck the other day I was loading groceries in the bags and had to heave a 25 lb container of cat litter- yes cat litter- into the trunk and though she faithfully tolerated this indignity, the first quarter mile in traffic was a bit dodgey.

------edit. And Foodman! Posted while I was replying!

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

i had a 1998 ST1100 and just bought a 2001 ST1100 best thing about them is they are easy to handle in tight places were the wing as we all know is a pig and would be crazy without the reverse gear oh the ST 1300 Aint as good as the 1100 so i am told the police force stopped using them and went to BMW something to do with a high speed weave some officers were killed on them i believe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Yeah I've heard all that about the 1300. I prefer the 1100 but I like the fuel injection on the 13. High speed wobble was above 100 or so supposedly. Who knows. I rarely run above 90. The cops know what they like and they still like the 11. That speaks volumes. I love my goldwings. I am disappointed by the mileage they get. High thirties for a motorcycle sucks. The 1300 with the FI can get 60 it you don't twist it too hard. You look at all the posts here of guys with older bikes and all the carb problems. I'm dealing with that now on one of mine. My head tells me that at heart I prefer a touring motorcycle though. I love the stability all that wieght brings and the riding position seems to suit me best. Thanks for the pic siataukreg. That's one of my favorite colors.:cool: What do they call it? I've seen the black but not my color. I like the blue they have too.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

siataukreg wrote:
.... i am told the police force stopped using them and went to BMW something to do with a high speed weave some officers were killed on them i believe
ST1300 instability was found to be caused by the weight and location of the extra light and radio equipment... they went to BMW about the same time as the problem was identified.. but there is no issue with the unmodified bike.. and proper location of the extra equipment has resolved previous issues...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,397 Posts
imported post

My brother has an ST. An '07 I think. It's fast and has great brakes.

I think it handles better since he put 'Stones on it but he says he can't keep up with my Interstate when the road gets real twisted. So as a sportbike...?

He's had the seat re-done and also rides on a gel/sheepskin pad. He's put a Honda trunk on it and some Honda made "wind protection" package.He has put some bar risers on it tooandhe still has to dis-mount every 50 miles orso.So, as a tourer...?

The moral? If you want a "sport touring" bike, you've already got the best one ever made.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

especially when they're dialed in.;) just messin' with ya Dennis. hey still haven't gotten the gray 1200 even close. I don't wanna tear the carbs down if I don't have to. I figure lately you're probably the res guru when it comes to 1200 carbs. can you give me a short list of things to run thru before I go yankin' em all off. I pulled the caps off today and was pretty surprised how clean they looked down there. maybe they are not that bad. btw I have to agree with ya. thanks a lot.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,397 Posts
imported post

Really don't have a "short list". It's harder to get the carbs off the bike than it is to rebuild them.

If the bike's running reasonably well, run a couple tanks of cleaner through it, then do an idle drop, then sync.

Floats, seats & o-rings are the only things that can "break" inside the carbs. The rubber in my carbs, after 22 years and 240k miles, looked new but we changed it anyway. Floats do age and stop floating. If you smell gas after hard breaking or while the bike is parked. That's probably a sinking float.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I currently have a 2000 ST that I bought new. Did change the seat and bars.

The bike is really quick and handles well in the twisties, way better than I am capable of riding it. Its a little heavy pushing out of the garage but once moving I don't notice the weight.

I bought my 2nd 85 Limited Editionthis spring thinking that I would like it better, butI don't so will be selling the wing.

No comparison in power and handling.

That being said about any bike is a fun time.

Mike

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Well, I ride an ST1300 and disagree strongly with many of the entries above......

Got 12,000 on my 2007 ST1300 now... all done just this year, sandwiched in between our deer injury and my shoulder operation...... and we just finished riding it from Washington State to North Carolina and back......

Mods? Only these: handlebar riser plate ($160), foot lowering brackets for the missus ($80), backrest for the missus ($235), magnetic tank bag ($130), and a full length sheepskin ($60).... We also bought a $170 Scala Team Set Communication system.... this adds up to just about $900 to add to the holdover price of $12,700 for a new bike.....

It is the best motorcycle I've ever owned, bar none, and I've owned a couple, including an 1100 Wing (on which we put 160,000 miles), and a 1500 Wing (on which we put 80,000 miles).....

The bike handles like a dream and I never feel like I'm gonna drop it.... the slow speed manuevering ability is absolutely astounding..... and I absolutely live for challenging roads.... I take some corners now fully twenty miles per hour faster than I once took them on my 1500.......

Red and I can easily put in a 450 mile day on it, without any physical duress whatsoever......

The bike averages 50 mpg.....

The bike costsnearly 1/2 what a new Goldwing 1800 will run ya....

I'm frankly kind of astonished and disheartened by how many people are willing to dismiss this motorcycle, often because of some prejudice or second hand information. If my ST gets stolen today,when I finally getthe insurance check Iwill go right down and buy another with no hesitation at all....... Ride what you want, but those of you who disregard the Honda ST1300 so easily may be doing yourself an injustice......

Attachments

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Who is that young man standing behind the ST1300?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I think it handles better since he put 'Stones on it but he says he can't keep up with my Interstate when the road gets real twisted. So as a sportbike...?
With all due respect, your brother isn't a very good rider. Put evenly matched riders on any GoldWing made and an ST, either model, and the GoldWing will be scraping metal parts on the ground trying to keep up with the ST, unsuccessfully.

Slow speed maneuvering? Tell the many police departments in the US that are still using them that they don't maneuver well. :D I've personally watched them flick those bikes through tight courses that you couldn't dream of getting a Wing through.

The Lakewood police department South of Tacoma WA has been using the ST's for several years, and they have a new batch of them getting put together right now. I saw them at the dealer on Tuesday when I had my new tires mounted. If they didn't like them, they wouldn't be buying more. Besides I've personally talked to those motor officers and they told me how much they love those bikes.

I love my Wing but would love to have an ST too, but won't for only one reason. I would ride it too hard. I made a promise to myself many years ago that I won't ride like that anymore. Scraping pegs on the Wing is as wild as I'll get these days. :action:

Just to add a litte humor to this otherwise serious thread, here's a picture of two of those Lakewood motor officers arresting our forum mascot in June '08. If you look carefully you will see one of those ST's through my bike's windshield. :)

John

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

My 93 ST1100 was more fun to drive. I currently own a 93 GL1500. The ST is more agile, accelerats faster, gets better mpg BUT it wasn't as confortable for me nor was it for the Mrs. The seat was good for about 60 miles, the slight leaning forward was felt in the wrist but got better after riding 30 minutes or so and I couldn't see outta the rear view mirrors as well.

Would I get another ST? Sure would but I want the Wing too. You really want both cause 2 is better when it comes to motorcycles IMHO.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.