Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

David, the retired Honda mechanic come up this morning and adjusted my valves. Wasnt bad off, but what amazed me he DID NOT use the T-1 or top dead center on the number 1 compressiom stroke. He adjusted one side at a time at LOW CAM, and the engine has no ticks, and now sounds like a Goldwing. He never even used the timing marks on the flywheel. Just bumped the starter until each lifter was completely down and flat on every cam. This is 180 degrees off of what the manual says to do. Truely amazing. David

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

David, I've always adjusted valves like that, even on cars and trucks that required a valve adjustment. Most mechanics I ever met that were worth a darn did it that way. The way the book describes is for the person who has never done something like this, so that they won't accidently bend a valve, or lock a piston.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
David, I've always adjusted valves like that, even on cars and trucks that required a valve adjustment. Most mechanics I ever met that were worth a darn did it that way. The way the book describes is for the person who has never done something like this, so that they won't accidently bend a valve, or lock a piston.:smiler:

Gene:action:
Likewise me to! but I havent had the need to adjust valves in years!!!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

That works great for overhead cam engines.
For push rod engines I turn the crank until the arms are rocking then another 360°, that way I know the lifters are sitting on the base circle.

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
imported post

I adjust a lot of valves and do it by turning the engine with a wrench, not necessarily looking at the timing marks but watching the valve action. Look at the cylinder that fires opposite the one I want to adjust and watch for the valves to overlap. I do it like that so I can remember where I'm at and I believe it is faster, at least for me, than bumping the engine with the starter. Probably takes me all of 5 minutes after the covers are off.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I haven't used the timing marks in 30 years. Just make sure the valve is closed (all the way up and slight play in the rocker) and thats all you need. I have several bikes with solid valves, and may be about to buy an 1100. Really getting tired of all the problems with my LTD. Honda definitely took a step BACKWARDS when they designed that bike.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i always turn the engine till the oposite valve on the same cylinder i am adjusting is open then i know the one i am working on is closed, i go a few rounds extra but i know what i am doing is right when its done

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

the valve will be closed when there is side to side or up and down play in the rocker arm?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.