Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mind you , this article pertains to a growth plan I believe is more oriented to the auto side . But bikes are mentioned .I have cut/pasted a shortend version with the link to the complete story.
Mark Phelan: Honda's plan to double sales could put it on risky path | Automot

Mark Phelan: Honda's plan to double sales could put it on risky path

Oct 12, 2012
In an ambitious and risky expansion, Honda will nearly double global car sales to 6 million a year by 2017, the company's leader recently said in Japan. Honda will also increase motorcycle sales 67 percent to 25 million by the fiscal year that will end March 31, 2017, President and CEO Takanobu Ito declared. ........

..... Proportionally, Honda's goal of doubling sales is even more challenging than the 50 percent growth program that led Toyota astray.
Honda's strategy hinges on:
--Major sales increases for a new family of subcompact vehicles;
--Drastically improving its hybrid technology;
--Intorducing a new family of large motorcycles next year; ........

Mark Phelan is the auto critic for the Detroit Free Press. He can be reached at [email protected].
(c)2012 Detroit Free Press

Read more at http://www.arcamax.com/automotive/s-1216807-834842#lhW5mdu9pT83JSAK.99

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
my bet a new v twin to replace the goldwing
Wilf

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I'm just spitballing, but I don't think it's what you may think it is. I think the goldwing is gone (at least as we know it). The move to Japan, the tsunami, the fact that this generation's design is on it's last leg, the fact that the goldwing has always been kind of a niche market and is now virtually the only survivor in that market, the fact that yahama stars and kawasaki vulcans seem to be outselling the Hondas and the king of the road is still HD...

Yeah, my guess is that a "new family" of big bikes means HD clones with 1800cc twins probably based on the VTX motor. Not saying it's neccissarily bad, but it could be. Bummer, I was really hopin' to see new bigger wings with more pistons, maybe even the return of the valk :sadguy:.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Honda recently opened a plant in India ,dont forget there aremore people in Asia than the rest of the worldand Honda has huge sales inthe 100 to 150 cc in thoseareas, soit would not be a big job to increase sales there..

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Honda recently opened a plant in India ,dont forget there aremore people in Asia than the rest of the worldand Honda has huge sales inthe 100 to 150 cc in thoseareas, soit would not be a big job to increase sales there..
Must be something going on, Harley did the same thing:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Must be something going on, Harley did the same thing:cool:
Years ago wife worked at a large local factory. They opened a branch in Mexico and sent up the Mexican workers to train. You guessed it within a year the local plant closed and moved all of its production off to mexico.
India is the new china. expect your bikes to be built there in the near future.
wilf

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the end of the GoldWing. I think the over weight sportbike design of the 1800 Wing was a last ditch effort to revive it's popularity.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
my guess would be smaller bikes and mopeds to meet the need for better fuel conservation as gas prices climb. here in vegas there are mopeds and a small bikes all over.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
According to the CEO of Honda, their main focus on motorcycles in the future will be the Thai and India market. These will be much smaller motorcycles such as the Wave 110i and the Scoopy I.
I think the age of large motorcycle production will be down scaled. The large touring bikes fill a niche market mainly in the U.S. and Europe. With both of these economies in trouble projected sales for large touring bikes are in bad shape.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Just as a follow up on my above post, what I would expect to see from Honda Motorcycle in the next couple years is the phasing out of the large touring bikes, so it will most likely be the end of an era for Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Just as a follow up on my above post, what I would expect to see from Honda Motorcycle in the next couple years is the phasing out of the large touring bikes, so it will most likely be the end of an era for Goldwing.

The article specifically said the plan includes a new family of large motorcycles... they won't be phasing out large bikes anytime soon if they just put in the r&d for a whole new line....

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
a New family of large motorcycles.......

Well-how about a 2000 cc 4 cylinder boxer, naked, with bags and shield (aka RK), and full dresser with removable trunk and batwing faring (3 configs).

Sure Honda could get some nice sounds out of four 500 cc jugs, just think of it.

Lots of chrome, not as much plastic....heck, just scale up an '83 standard for starters.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see new tourers more on the line of BMW or the ST. The Goldwing has had an amazing production run of over 37 years but it's becoming a bit dated. I don't see how they could improve on the 1800 much. I doesn't make sense to increase engine size or performance much, not in these days of expensive gasoline. If the Goldwing lives on I'd expect it to be more like the ST. I've never ridden an ST but they look pretty good, obviously CJ likes his and it's more than adequate for two up and a bunch of gear too. That would also be a way for Honda to keep the price escalation under control a bit too.
It will be interesting to see what happens to the GL line, it looks to me that the '12 was just a place holder for something new.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with a Vtwin tourer replacing the GoldWing. Yamaha and Kawasaki have em. Not sure about Suzuki.

I doubt they will try to call it a GoldWing. But who knows?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imagine that the 2012 1800 becomming the most sought after goldwings. Exavid is right the goldwings have had a great run and the 1500 and the 1800 where the pinnacle of the brand.
So now they need o start over at the bottom end of the spectrum with a new model line. That is how marketing works . when they rolled out the 1500 they already had the 1800 on the drawing board. when he rolled out the 1800 they had a end date for the brand. electonics tools cars hey all use the curve of shooting star, plateaufalling off.
While many criticize HD's as old school tech. and laugh at them. They have a very different marketing strategy of keeping the brand the same and not needing to change it but selling a lifestyle not a motorcycle.
I'm thinking honda could sell a lot of v-twin touring bikes but coping is not there style so I look for a bike 800cc give or take with a new different engine layout. They can then grow this bike for several new models for a long run like the goldwing.
Hybred , rotary inline who knows. Has honda showin any prototype layout of that size even if not in a touring bike?
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
While I was typing above post i thought why not google hondas prototype bikes. Wow Hondas mid cruiser reminds one of the first gl1000's . Also one sees a v-twin bagger him. let google be your friend and type in honda prototypes
Wilf

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
While I was typing above post i thought why not google hondas prototype bikes. Wow Hondas mid cruiser reminds one of the first gl1000's . Also one sees a v-twin bagger him. let google be your friend and type in honda prototypes
Wilf
Ask and ye shall recieve... and then wish you hadn't done either :sadguy:. Seriously, if I wanted to ride a bleeping CBR I'd go buy a bleeping CBR. I don't want a sport bike! If they really go the direction the concepts suggest, I may have to resort to becoming a Harley guy if I ever move up to newer bikes :shock:

In order:
1 & 2. The DN 1; looks like that's the basic direction of the future "big" cruisers
3. The evo 6
4. The FN 1
5. The X-wing

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts

Sorry, had to do it in two posts...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.