Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put a new alternator in my friends 1500 and now were trying to install a amp gauge to check the output,but don"t have any idea where to wire it in. Thanks!!! :? Or a Volt Meter would Probably be Better!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Any hot connection that is hot when the ignition is on run will do; the closer to the battery the better..to the battery directly works too but then it would never shut off..= battery drain..unless you put a switch in the line.

Preferred one..I don't know if there is one..I looke daroudn in the manual but didn't the OEm charging meter/connections

·
Premium Member
67,767 Posts
I have a Volt meter.. I hooked it up to the accessory terminal in the fuse box and to ground.. That way it goes off and on with the switch..The reading is off slightly.. I took a reading at the battery and make the deduction from the reading I get at the Volt meter.. It's worked on 2 bikes I've had..

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
A volt meter is much preferred over an amp meter. You have to run heavy gauge wire from the alternator to the meter and back where a volt meter all you need is 2 small wires to a power source and ground.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Ammeter wiring-
(read all of this and notice post #14)
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/373627-gl1200-ammeter.html

Better would be this, a heads up monitor. Rudy had one he was making and selling, but I don't know if they are still available
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/heads_up_voltage_monitor/70605

And a volt meter that is placed where you can easily see it without looking around something. This would wire up to your acc screws on the fuse panel.
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/mini_led_digital_voltmeter/4231

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys For Your Help,sounds like it will work,I'm dumb when it comes to Wiring Situations. I dont like sparks or burning wire smell . lol

·
Premium Member
67,767 Posts
That's what I like.. If you use the accessory connection it's fused.. If you screw up it just blows the fuse

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I have a Volt meter.. I hooked it up to the accessory terminal in the fuse box and to ground.. That way it goes off and on with the switch..The reading is off slightly.. I took a reading at the battery and make the deduction from the reading I get at the Volt meter.. It's worked on 2 bikes I've had..
I wired mine the same way. I did find out that when the meter is reading 13.5 volts, the actual voltage at the battery is 14.5 volts. So anything over 13 volts on the meter is ok....-Rich

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Im happy with the Kury led meter on both my bikes...wired in to hot fused lead...goodluck

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Volt meter

We put a new alternator in my friends 1500 and now were trying to install a amp gauge to check the output,but don"t have any idea where to wire it in. Thanks!!! :? Or a Volt Meter would Probably be Better!
If you go the volt meter route, look for one with 3 wires.
Wire it black to ground and red to a switched power source such as lights or any other circuit thats on when ignition is on) and blue to target voltage (battery positive post).
This way the voltmeter is on when the ignition is switched on but the voltage reading is directly from the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

What froggy said.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
With most voltmeters there is an adjusting POT on the circuit board to adjust the voltage reading. If you install the voltmeter on the AUX terminal you can measure the voltage at the battery then adjust the voltmeter to compensate for the difference in readings.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I use this...

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/digital_5_function_voltmeter/129/342

Here it is on my bike... This was the only place I could think of that doesn't require cutting into something, is unobtrusive yet easily readable, and 'fits' on the bike so it looks like it belongs there...

This one also montiors the the line voltage, as well as battery voltage.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Has this one gotten soaked? There have been a lot of posts that they die once wet.
Hasn't gotten really wet yet... but I DO ride in the rain.... It is mostly protected by the windshield I guess...

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
The easiest and safest way to install an ammeter is to insert a precision shunt resistor (usually about 1 to 5 milli ohms) between the battery - and the ground cable. Then simply connect a millevolt meter across the shunt. A one milli ohm shunt resistor will give you a readout of 1 millivolt per ampere going into or out of the battery. Seeing as how the shunt is connected to to battery - and ground, a complete short of the shunt will only produce a meter that doesn't work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.