Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Am a new, first time, Goldwing owner wanting simple advise. What might be thebest way to hook up two electric vests?The battery posts are nicely tucked away, so was wondering if there was an easier and better alternative? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

to hook up two electric vests i suspect the aux outlet would not be any good, its only 5A rated. Also if you put straight onto battery the power would be there all the time irrespective of whether the igniton was on or not.

Ideally what you want is a relay suplying the heated waist coats and trigered by the aux output so the jackets would only work when the ignition is switched on.

If you do go on the battery posts, make sure thereis in line fuses. To get better access to the battery posts you could remove the seat, just remove the 4 bolts that hold the passenger hand grips and its off.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Derek: Sounds like connecting directly to the posts might still be my best option.Tks.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Derek: Have the comfort package, so suspect there will be a couple of wires to disconnect while removing theseat. Any hints?Tks again.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

I wired my snergy jacket line directly to the battery. I ran the line p the side of the seat and tuck it under the back portion of the drivers back support when not in use.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

On my 05, I ran an accessory wire to the battery from the left pocket with a inline 15A fuze. On the pocket end of the wire I have a SAE plug fitting. I can run a splitter for two or more electric garments. I can also use it to plug in my battery tender, air compressor or any 12v 15a needed.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Have not worked on this type with heated seats, maybe osme of the alds who have this model could help, but it will be on a connector, so same thing, remove the 4 bolts and then lift the seat to find out where the connector is. As a rule you can get to the battery posts without removing the seat but it is easier. This also allows you better access for running the power cables

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

In line fuse of proper amps & then through a relay if your going direct to battery. In this set up you'd most likely have to mount a toggle switch somewhere so that you can turn the power to the vest off & on. Relay will let you go with small amp toggle switch.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

You will need two heated gear battery harness connections, they come with 15 amp fuses. Hook each directly to the battery using the heated gear inline fuse hookup. Secure well with wire ties. You will need one for each rider as they have their own fuse. I have mine just outside the left front of the seat and the passenger on the left side near the intercom connection. They both tuck away under the edge of the seat when not in use.

http://www.gerbing.com/Products/accessories.html

There is only one heated seat wire to unplug after you remove the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

If you are going to incorporate a relay the best way to trigger that relay is with the aux 12 volt output, you could put a toggle switch in but if you are sitting on the bike with the engine off and forget to switch off the vests this will quickly flatten the battery

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

LDCSteve:

I've pretty much concluded that hooking the vestsdirectly to the battery is my best bet. Thanks for your input, especially with regardto the heated seat connector.

By the way, and I'm assuming you;ve the heated seat option as well, how hot might I expect the seat to actually get? The back portion of the passenger seat gets really warm, as does the back part of the raised portion of the driver's saddle, but the actual partthat you sit on doesn't seem to warm up too terribly much. In fact I'm uncertain if it heats up at all. Do you have to sit on the seat for a while before you actaully feel the heat on your rump? Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.