Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We took off this morning for a toy run. We met our chapter about 10 miles from the house, no issues. I filled up at a station I typically dont use (but it was Walmart's station). About 2 miles down the road, at around 55mph, it started bucking a little, a twisted the throttle a little and no response. I twisted a little more, same thing, no response. I gave it full throttle and it wouldnt ever let me go over 55. I downshifted to 4th and no difference. When we stopped at the stop light and took off again, it was fine. It was fine all through the toy run, we stopped afterwards and ate. After it had time to cool off we took off to come home. Again about 3 miles down the road, it acted up again. After the first stop light we came to it was cleared up again. I had about a half tank (2nd treatment with Seafoam in it). I topped it off, didnt have the other half bottle of Seafoam with me, so this tank doesnt have it in yet. Any ideas??

Keep the shiny side up...

Bill

P.S. oh yeah '91 1500 w/15K miles, had 12K when I purchased a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Could be a dirty fuel filter allowing some gas through and then clogging. Had it happen to a car once. New filter no problem,

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I had a similar experience and it was a bad tank of gas. I agree....change the fuel filter, too.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yeah, my wife had come over the intercom asking about the fuel filter. I'll be getting one of those this week. It'd definitely be the cheapest fix for sure, and probably needs done anyways, as the PO's probably didnt ride it enough to do that.

edit: lol, if its a bad tank, I'll have to set it on the center stand and fill my garage full of CO2, as its getting colder here. Actually we have 2 more toy runs this year and the next one is about 100 miles 'round trip, plus the run itself, so it'll be gone by next weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I agree with the others. Fuel filter.

Sounds like fuel starvation from a clogging fuel filter. If you stay off the throttle, it may sustain slower engine power demands. Higher power withhigher fuel flow empties the bowl in the carbthus running out of gas thus fuel starvation.

If you order one or two online, they are around $4. The first one I replaced through mother honda was $18. Others paid $14, so I really feel I got screwed.

Easy to replace, but you still need to remove theradio console.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
imported post

Whatever you do, do NOT run that bike in that garage with the door closed! That's not CO2, that's CO! CO2 is Carbon Dioxide (which is a natural byproduct in exhaust), however...CO is CARBON MONOXIDE! Which is not only odorless, tasteless, and colorless, its also QUITE DEADLY!!!!! So, just a point for thought!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i had a bad tank of gas after some bad chili one time!

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Pull all that fuel out & use it for your lawn mower. refill with A gas can full of good fuel & a lil sea foam. I agree with swapping out the fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

my buddy with his 1800 can never beleive me when i complain and tell him i got a crappy tank of gas....i can tell and can tell when i get some goooood gas....his fuel injection doesnt seem to reveal gas condition

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

grambo wrote:
i had a bad tank of gas after some bad chili one time!
I get that on occassion too...wait where is this thread going :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Pull all that fuel out & use it for your lawn mower. refill with A gas can full of good fuel & a lil sea foam. I agree with swapping out the fuel filter.
Good advice there, me likey...

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Especially if you are Seafoaming! All kindsa crud moving around, so I'd go the new filter route. jimsjinx

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

Ya know, after a long session of thinking on this, I believe you must have bad gas and a stopped up fuel filter :D

Has this been mentioned yet? :cooldevil: :cooldevil: :cooldevil: :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Ya know, after a long session of thinking on this, I believe you must have bad gas and a stopped up fuel filter :D

Has this been mentioned yet? :cooldevil: :cooldevil: :cooldevil: :cooldevil:
Thanks John,

After all the mumbo-jumbo, FINALLY some one comes up with an answer :cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
come to eureka springs next labor day and get some good chili
Wife and I will probably be there if its on a weekend...

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
edit: lol, if its a bad tank, I'll have to set it on the center stand and fill my garage full of CO2, as its getting colder here.
Awe geeze - stop it - y'er breakin' ma heart man :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:. It's 10F here as I type this. On the brighter side though - we are expecting it to hit 21F tomorrow :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

31F for me right now. Makes for a brisk ride to work at 6 in the morning. But the 40-45 sunny ride home makes fairly nice.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
31F for me right now. Makes for a brisk ride to work at 6 in the morning. But the 40-45 sunny ride home makes fairly nice.
We must be having a Cold Wave down here in the desert :D

Temps are between 62F and 64F through the valley tonight. :action:

Tomorrow, it's only going to get up to about 86F. I will be spending another day wearing my bomber jacket in the office. Been doing that now for the last 3 or 4 days. :shock: And that ain't no joke either. :baffled:

You folks just don't know what's it like, having to bundle up and brave off these cold temps down here. It feels a "lot better" when my knees don't hurt and it is only down to 94F over night :cooldevil:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.