Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Was gleaning through the for sale ads in a local paper Sunday, there was a 84 for sale for 1400? Went to look Monday and it was gone. But he had a 85 for twice the money. Wasn't there but he would get it so I could look and make an offer.
Went to look Tuesday, not to bad new tires, started right up, but there was some issues, nothing major I could see with out pulling the bike apart. No smoke on start up, brakes felt good, but it was snowing so didn't take for a ride. Offered way less than he was asking he took it. Went tonite and picked it up, 1985 Aspencade, 90400 miles even had a CB, didn't realize it till I got home and pulled the left cover off. Powered up showed channels I hope that's a good sign.
Air pump works, lcd dash works, lights all work being said more to do this winter. Not a bad problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

And the last one, you may ask why another, I miss our 84, it wasn't perfect but I still enjoyed the heck out of it.
I tell you it was a cold ride to the house.
I do have one question, I have a pdf, for the 84, can it be used for the 85, or do I need to find one specifically for a 85 Aspencade.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

That thing will look great with just a little cleaning, some wax and some Armour All! Very nice! :claps:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, CBH this will set for a little while PO did a poor job on the yellow wires, found an extra set of green wires next to the battery negative cable need to find where they go.
Since no history will check belts, change fluids.
Need to do something with the back rest, PO was about 5'4 or so my knees were in my chest.
Really this best thing about this site is search and you will find most any information you need, if not ASK AND YOU WILL RECEIVE.
My wife calls me a stalker on this site since I read way more than post, (yes we do talk) but I learned from my dad if you want to learn you listen!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

as i understand ,there were some major changes between the 84 an 85 1200. i don't know the 1200 that well . but that's what i have noticed. best of luck with her.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on a nice find. She looks complete and has a few nice expensive extras.
The 85 isn't much different to your 84, your pdf should be useable for most things.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Looks like a good find. How much did you give for it?

One difference for the 85 is the pulse generator is on the timing belt pulley instead of on the rear of the engine. A much better design, though there have been some posts of them going bad from heat if my remember-er isn't too broke.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks to all and I paid 1800. Hopefully it wasn't to much? Brakes seemed fine, clutch, ran decent drove well, radio worked, newer tires but you can tell it has set for awhile. Mileage didn't bother me, read enough here that shouldn't be an issue in the least.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Should be good. Great price for a runner.
Check the dates on the tires. Anything over 5 years think real hard about running.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Forgot about the tires dates and thanks. Someone had changed the yellow wire issue, butt plugs, and tape? First things first, there was a hole in the right side fairing cover, finally got the key to work and laying inside was a Honda volt meter but to small for the hole. PO had used twist caps to hook it up. Still trying to find where the 2 extra green wires go, that were next to the ground cable.
I'm a while I'm here guy, take one thing off, while I,m here check this and that, while I'm here, pull this and that trying not to do this one this Wing. Unless it necessary did start it up to watch voltage went up to around 14. Feel better already.:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Bvanemon wrote:
Forgot about the tires dates and thanks. Someone had changed the yellow wire issue, butt plugs, and tape? First things first, there was a hole in the right side fairing cover, finally got the key to work and laying inside was a Honda volt meter but to small for the hole. PO had used twist caps to hook it up. Still trying to find where the 2 extra green wires go, that were next to the ground cable.
I'm a while I'm here guy, take one thing off, while I,m here check this and that, while I'm here, pull this and that trying not to do this one this Wing. Unless it necessary did start it up to watch voltage went up to around 14. Feel better already.:cheesygrin:
You did good on the price. You said the yellow wires used butt connectors? If so, get rid of them, solder the wires and use heat shrink. Connectors allow corrosion and problems. I would change out the timing belts unless you know when they were last replaced.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

With out a history on the bike half the fun is trying to firgure out what half of the add on button and bells go too....:waiting:

She looks like she will clean up nice withher new daddy... Just needs the right kind of love.

Kurt

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yup Lots a Lovin goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

First let me thank everyone for the comments, and and for the PMs
will really help.
Did get a chance to mess with the CB yesterday, it did light up and was able to hear traffic on channel 11,(changed channel by the switch on handlebar) not well but could understand what someone was saying, hit the push to talk to see if it would interrupt and someone was not happy complained someone was walking over him.
Hopefully another good sign.
Oil diffidently needs changed, pulled the covers off the clutch and front brake, don't think its ever been changed.
So here is the question, should I just change the oil and filter(cold) before restarting. Or warm it up then change?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Terrible find, you got. So here's what I'll do.

When I'm in Indiana, I'll have my trailer and give you 1,500 for it - and save you from it!!!!

(just kidding, of course!) 1,800 is a great price for a running 1200.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Personally, I like the look of a 1200 "Native".

I would remove and sell:

Caliper Covers
Front fender chrome
Front Footpegs (those are the cheapys)
The backrest
Lower chrome surrounds on the panniers and topbox.

That list should bring $250 or so.

(I know, there's some of you screaming at your computer right now. It's just me -- I don't like these things, including backrests.)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

So here is the question, should I just change the oil and filter(cold) before restarting. Or warm it up then change?

Yes warm it up first to loosen up any sludge

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Yes the highway pegs are off, one of the first things I did, I had been looking for an 84 naked, but came across this.
Sounds good about warming it up, then changing the oil, just wasn't sure.
Will remove the backrest, any way when the trunk fold forward it was catching the seat back and had pulled the stitching and so it is open, called a friend who does some upholstery work on the side hopefully he can repair it.
Another question regarding the oil, should I put some Seafoam in it, or wait till I can get in some miles?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.