Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just picked up a stock set of mufflers for my 81 GL1100 that ar in pretty good shape but there are signs that the pipes haven't been on a bike for quite a while. When they arrived I noticed some hornet'snests in the pipes and cleaned them out. I also suspect that there are some inside the muffler because I have a rattle when I shake and roll the mufflers around. I have cleaned everything out that I can get out and I am concerned about whatever is left inside. Is it anything to worry about if I don't get everything completely out? :?

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

i would think as long as they are not plugged solid they will clean that out with a little

running

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

They will burn out. I put a muffler on my car that was full of acorns, didn't look back to see if burning acorns were flying out but I think they are gone now.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
They will burn out. I put a muffler on my car that was full of acorns, didn't look back to see if burning acorns were flying out but I think they are gone now.
Isn't there a song that deals with that: Acorns roasting by the open fire... :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

While I agree that a little running will burn/blow any hornet nest material out of your mufflers, I don't agree with your premise that hornet nest material will rattle when you shake or roll your muffler. I suspect the internal baffles are loose.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:

Squirrels nesting in your muffler? :cheeky1: Seriously, how did that happen? :stumped:

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Outlaw wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:

Squirrels nesting in your muffler? :cheeky1: Seriously, how did that happen? :stumped:

It was a customers muffler and the vehicle being under warranty they insisted it be replaced because they didn't like the smell of roasting acorns. I needed a muffler so I put it on my car. Never smelled a thing but my car doesn't sit in a garage.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

every spring we fired up the old tractor to till the field and wasps flew out of the make shift muffler had to run for the hills each time for some reason i always drew the short straw to start the dannged thing

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

OldSchool_IsCool wrote:
While I agree that a little running will burn/blow any hornet nest material out of your mufflers, I don't agree with your premise that hornet nest material will rattle when you shake or roll your muffler. I suspect the internal baffles are loose.
The rattling I am hearing isn't a metal on metal sound which is what has me thinkingit is more of the hornets nest materials that I could see.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

i blew out baffels and wading for about 3 miles when i got mine fixed and back out on the road. sparks where flying!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

If the muffler is still off ( or you could take it off) blow backwards with a shop vac set up to blow. Try it both ways and everything that is loose should come out.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

scotterichmond wrote:
If the muffler is still off ( or you could take it off) blow backwards with a shop vac set up to blow. Try it both ways and everything that is loose should come out.
I did that twice and in both directions but still there are things in there. I even had lady bugs blown out of there. So I guess the new question to ask is: Is there a way to get everything out of the mufflers without cutting holes?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Did you try pushing and blowing at the same time? cause if that don't work ........ well nottin' will.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well a lot of sucking and blowing, twisting and turning, and shacking and the only thing that fell out was more dead bugs and bug body parts. No metal and no rust. I finally gave up on getting it all out and mounted the exhaust system. Now in addition to being able to hear myself think while riding, I currently have a pleasing aroma.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I went to DMV in Missouri to get my driver's license moved from SC. The Patrolman said he's have to inspect my car first, An 97 Firebird. He said it was too loud.

I went to a hardware store and bought some fine mesh steel wool balls and stuffed about 4 up each tailpipe. He passed it this time, took the road test and going home they burned up and blew out the tailpipes as glowing fireballs.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

When I picked up my GL1100I the pipes were packed with what looked like straw. Got out what I could with a wire coat hanger. About a week later got her to start. She backfired and I looked back and the whole carport was covered in tiny bits of paper, straw, and mouse poop. :ROFL: Pipes are nice and clean now.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

put a hornet trap in there

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

sounds like rust, mufflers usually rot from the inside out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.