Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts
My calculator won't calculate that high. 26000 x 5280 then 26000+2' x 5280.

It occurred to me after I went to bed last night that I was all wrong on this, not that it mattered any.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My calculator won't calculate that high. 26000 x 5280 x Pi then 26002 x 5280 x Pi.
The 26000 miles was the perimeter not the diameter.

(26000 * 5280) / PI gives the diameter (in feet)

The perimeter with the additional 1 foot above the surface is

(((26000*5280)/PI) + 2) * PI = 26000*5280 + 2 * PI

Subtract the original perimeter (26000 * 5280) to get the extra rope and it comes to 2 * PI feet (so just over 6 and a quarter feet)

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yep, its almost counter intuitive to understand that to raise a loop around a basketball or a huge planet by a foot you will need 6.28 ft of extra rope on both cases

All this while the woman with pie feet was trying to buy pizza like floppers

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts
Yep, its almost counter intuitive to understand that to raise a loop around a basketball or a huge planet by a foot you will need 6.28 ft of extra rope on both cases
Yes, that is hard for me to get my head around but it's a fact. I found an online calculator that is better than my 40 year old casio.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
An interesting question I had long time ago:

Im 20 ft from my wife who is blindfolded and tries to shoot me with the single bullet she has in the handgun.
There is a solid three near me and I hide behind it.
My wife discharges the weapon and hits the tree.
Did the tree save my life?

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts
An interesting question I had long time ago:

Im 20 ft from my wife who is blindfolded and tries to shoot me with the single bullet she has in the handgun.
There is a solid three near me and I hide behind it.
My wife discharges the weapon and hits the tree.
Did the tree save my life?
No, she is going to rip off the blindfold and beat you to death with the empty gun. :grin3:

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Today I worked to fix screw ups done by the plumber's helper. A drain pipe has to have a minimum pitch of 1/4 inch per foot.. Within 6 feet o pipe he had barely 1/2 inch instead of minimum 1.5 inch.
When I showed him he started to butcher the holes in the studs to obtain the right pitch.
I fixed it nicely after I removed and replaced the studs.. I snapped an horizontal line level with the lowest point. Then at 4ft I marked an inch up and snapped another line from the original point to like 7 ft away making sure the line is one inch high at 4 ft.

While doing all this work I was contemplating what is an horizontal line.
The best answer I came up is A CIRCLE. Do you agree?

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Eventually yes.
Which means two perfectly vertical lines are not parallel.
Thanks Dave you made my day. I was wondering why the studs are not at same distance to each other at the top and bottom. lol

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
A horizontal line is parallel to the plane of the horizon. The line doesn't end at the horizon but extends on to infinitive. Two lines vertical to the horizontal plane will be parallel. I think the stud problem would have to be a builder problem.>:)

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
A horizontal line is parallel to the plane of the horizon. )
It doesnt sound right. But I dont understand what the plane of the horizon is (The Earth curvature is significant on a distance to horizon) .
You could not use a level to determine an horizontal line for a great distance. Not even if you could use a giant one. The line you think about is horizontal here NOT AT THE END OF Level.
So maybe the horizontal line is a circle

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I think we are talking about two different things. You were contemplating about a horizontal line and then walking around the earth and connecting it at the origin, making a circle. I am talking about a horizontal line that is straight and goes on forever.

With the earth at 137,280,000 ft circumference, how can we measure the ark of that circle at a segment of 2 ft and the error in parallel at 8 ft above the circle? With the proper equipment I'm sure it can be measured, I just don't think I can do it with my free 25ft tape measure from Harbor Freight.:ROFL: Your stud problem is still a builder's problem.0:)

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I am talking about a horizontal line that is straight and goes on forever.

I dont think you understand my point. Lets say you are in
Collinsville, Oklahoma, USA and have 4000 mile long level.
One end in NJ and one in Ca
The people at the extreme ( CA, NJ) will laugh if you tell them the level is horizontal.
Now one guy from Ca walking along the way towards oklahoma will find this line to be more and more level but wont be perfect till he reaches Collinsville
or more precisely your home.
Theoretically the level is not leveled anywhere passed the bubble. It is an infinity of points which describes a circle

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am talking about a horizontal line that is straight and goes on forever.

I dont think you understand my point. Lets say you are in
Collinsville, Oklahoma, USA and have 4000 mile long level.
One end in NJ and one in Ca
The people at the extreme ( CA, NJ) will laugh if you tell them the level is horizontal.
Now one guy from Ca walking along the way towards oklahoma will find this line to be more and more level but wont be perfect till he reaches Collinsville
or more precisely your home.
Theoretically the level is not leveled anywhere passed the bubble. It is an infinity of points which describes a circle
No, it does not describe a circle. A circle is a set of points in a plane that are equidistant from a central point.

Using the X-Y plane, lines have equations of the form Y = mX + b with a traditional horizontal line in that plane m = 0

circles have an equation of the form Y^2 + X^2 = R^2 (for circles centered at the origin)

If my memory is correct circles are of the form (Y-a)^2 + (X-b)^2 = R^2 when the origin of the circle is at (b,a)

You need to consider the reference point. When you start talking about things that go on to infinity, using the gravitational field of the earth as a reference point just doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Not to bust your bubble Pete, but L.A. to Trenton is 2400 miles and the center point is just east of Salina, Kansas. The line never touches Oklahoma. The ends of your level would be air traffic hazards.
I knew Im going to get an extra click on that one/ lol

41 - 60 of 82 Posts