Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Houston, we have a problem.

So I recently took the bike out for an evening ride just before things turned really cold here... I noticed that when the RPM's come down that the lights would get very dim... add RPM's and the lights come back up.

I just recently installed a brand new, as of Spring, 2020, Big Crank AGM battery... I would be very disappointed if that has already gone bad.

I slapped a battery charger on the batter and it was pretty low but seemed to bring charge back up to full within a couple hours. I keep the AGM battery on a maintainer when not riding but I'm not 100% sure how well this maintainer is working... for example, before putting the battery charger on the battery I tried the maintainer and it gave a GREEN status light which indicates the battery is charged. In fact I can't remember the last time I've seen the YELLOW charging light on that thing.

Probably time to get a new maintainer it would seem. :-(

What do others recommend for a good quality maintainer without a crazy high price tag?

I don't need top of the line but thinking I might have gone a little to cheap with my current Ever Start maintainer so thinking probably should get something better. Maybe something with more than just a green/yellow light... maybe.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,863 Posts
the Green Light says that maintainer is working, verify that with a Voltmeter before you start the bike.

now, remove the battery tender, and leave the voltmeter on the battery.

start the engine and watch the meter.....
turn on all lights, push on brake so that lights up....

vary the throttle, and I bet you see the same results as you described.

Result?
1: good battery
2: bad charging system.

now you need to figure out what went bad, the Alternator/Stator or the Regulator.
you don't tell us what bike is having a problem.
you need to put your bike make/model and your Location in your Signature.....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,863 Posts
I moved your post out of an old thread, and started a New Thread.

Please DO NOT POST NEW PROBLEMS IN OLD THREADS.

·
Administrator
26,343 Posts
Knowing what bike you have would help tremendously. Your problem is normal on 4 cylinder wings, they don't charge much at all at normal idle. Most boost the idle speed to 1000 or a little more to help with that. If you have added lights etc. that will also compound the problem, even on 1500s that don't have a very strong alternator originally.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,863 Posts
Like Dave just said.
I always kept my '84 and my '94 idle set above the Factory setting, simply because I wanted the charging system to keep up with the Brake Lights...

I lived in Phoenix at the time, and it takes about 5 to 7 minutes for the lights to cycle around.

·
It aint rocket science
3,934 Posts
With a test meter what are the actual voltage readings at idle and 1800RPM without fans or brake lights on? What is the idle RPM and do you have non-OEM electrical loads which would include converting lower cowl lights to constant on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the Green Light says that maintainer is working, verify that with a Voltmeter before you start the bike.

now, remove the battery tender, and leave the voltmeter on the battery.

start the engine and watch the meter.....
turn on all lights, push on brake so that lights up....

vary the throttle, and I bet you see the same results as you described.

Result?
1: good battery
2: bad charging system.

now you need to figure out what went bad, the Alternator/Stator or the Regulator.
you don't tell us what bike is having a problem.
you need to put your bike make/model and your Location in your Signature.....
Sorry... 1990 GL1500 Goldwing.

I'll get some meter readings later next week when the weather warms up a bit.

I guess I was always told that if the lights brighten up when the RPMs increase then the alternator is putting out a charge and the issue is somewhere else. Not true?

Thanks

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,863 Posts
That is true, but you need to measure the Voltage to know what the Battery condition is at about 2,500 RPM. Should reach about 14.3

on my '94SE, I set the idle at 1,100 RPM which kept the Alternator putting out enough to keep up with the Brake Lights... that bike did not have any doo dads on it, just the OEM lighting.

at 750 RPM, the Alternator cannot put out enough to keep up with the Lights when stopped for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts