Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know everyone is going to think this is something that should not even be thought of let alone suggested but think about it. Modern diesel engines can be relatively quiet, develop high torque at low revs and offer incredible fuel economy. In a renault megane 1.5 diesel I achieved an average of 67mpg during a weeks toruing holiday and a maximum of 74mpg at a steady 55/60mph. Top gear pick up at this speed is adequate, if only I can educate the wife to ride the torque and not try to drive it like a 16valve petrol.

If this type of output and economy could be married up to the ultimate touring machine I am sure after a while everyone would appreciate the benefits. After all aren't the americans now suffering what we have suffered for years high oil prices. Think about it before condemming. A good diesel tied up to either a semi automatic or fully automatic would make the best use of this.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
imported post

Diesel is now about $.36 a gallon less the petrol. Gas mileage is approx. 40 - 50% better than gas engines. So why not a diesel bike? Would be a little heavier and need extra battery power but an interesting concept.

Might work better for trikes than bikes but still interesting!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

I'd be all over that...

Only drawback to a diesel is the cold weather issues, most bikes see little use in cold weather. Perfect marriage.

Edited to add: GOTTA be a turbodiesel. An intercooler might be nice, too.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Diesel bikes are an interesting, and old idea. I think royal enfield made a model or two. There have been several atempts at making them, but nothing that has really gotten going. The millitary (I think britan and U.S.) have gotten behind a diesel motorcycle based off of the Kawasaki KLR650. I think they are a 500CC diesel thumper (diesels like big CC). Part of the reason for this bike is that motorcycles were the only gas powered thing the military uses, so guess what, it has to run on the same thing as everybody else.

As far as it goes I think it would do well in a touring bike like the wing, or cruisers. I don't think sport bikes would do the best with then, but I have seen some info about diesel sport bikes as well.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

well that's certainly a better response than I thought I'd get ! been expecting men in dark suits and sunglasses to pay me a visit.

Until recently Honda did not market a diesel car in the UK, but when they did it was a good one. They looked likethey waited till the tech was good then copied and improved on everyone else's, nothing changed since the sixties then !

They are I would think the only one of the major mfr's who have the technology and capability to do this, so mother honda how about it ?

I for one would love to see a reply to this from them on this site

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
imported post

Hell ya, great idea to ponder. :weightlifter:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Ya for under 12 G's, since we are dreaming. :grinner:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

what's to dream about, all you guy's have been able to live with the crap economy of an overweight bike due to low gas prices, across the pond thank's to our PM's love affair with your megalomaniac leader, we've been taxed to death on our gas cost regardless of what the initial cost of crude cost was.

What I'm saying is the idea is possible, the wing makes an ideal format to use this idea on, 0-60 is not relevant nor is top speed, what matters is how far you can go in a day in comfort and how long is it going to last !

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

mmMMmmm meegggaallooommmanniiaacccc

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
imported post

For what it is worth, Ive just read an article in this week's Motorcycle News which says that there are five new firms all trying to break into the bike market with diesel-powered machines in the near future. The article doesn't provide any info on four of these but does refer to a German machine, the "Neander" which is now close to production. Obviously, the name is taken from Neanderthal man..."a type of primitive man occuring throughout much of Europe in late Palaeolithic times..." and Neandertal...."a valley near Dusseldorf, Germany." Thinking further on your comment that Bush is the 'megalomaniac' it perhaps follows that Blair is perhaps 'Neanderthal man.':cheeky1:. Oooops! have I strayed into the political arena here:shock:.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

how could either be described as political, ones the best money could buy and the other will sell the family silver or peerage if the price is right

what have either of them ever done that could be described as political

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

Frank Zappa had a diesel.................:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
imported post

taffy australia wrote:
Frank Zappa had a diesel.................:shock:
Almost Taffy...that is a "Dweezil" his son's name (and a daughter named Moon Unit)...

weird guy (Zappa was; God rest his soul)but a fabulous musician...saw him in concert twice....certainly an experience :shock:

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
imported post

I would buy one in a heartbeat! A small 4cyl diesel would have more torque and get alot more gas mileage. Asfor the battery issue, that could be hard but thats why it is a concept....some genius will figure it out.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:D:clapper:ive been following this thread with great interest,i think it would be a fantastic idea , Diesel engines have moved on a great deal in just the last 10yrs alone.The modern CDI engine, ( common rail diesel)was brought to light by Citroen, and most motor manufactures followed suit with there own version of the CDI unit. At one time the thought of a diesel engine in a luxury car,ie, BMW,JAGUAR, MERCEDES AUDI etc, etc, was laughed at because of the image diesel had, noisy, smelly, sluggish motors, the list went on!! not any more!,, take the 320 cdi Mercedes, you dont know the dam things running, and will leave most of its 3litre brothers standing. Only last year for the first time a diesel engine car won a world WRX rally, so the technology for more power is there with the aid of turbo,s etc. So come on HONDA, take the lead and develop a great diesel engine for the Goldwing , i for one would think it would be a world wide hit pp:cool:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Just read in MCN thatfive manufacturers are in the proccessof developing diesel engined motorbikes. The only manufacturer mentioned by name is Neander (Germany), who are apparently about ready to launch their cruiser style bike.

( note to self.... always look up the thread to see if Dennisthemenace has pipped me to the post and already said what I am about to type!!!!!:doh::doh:)

·
Premium Member
12,750 Posts
imported post

I have read an article or 2 on the Neander. As I recall its a twin with a supercharger. It also has twin counter rotating crankshafts. ITs got very good performance and high MPG.

sorry for posting replies to this forum,forgot where I was . Please excuse me from the Axe.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

your megalomaniac leader

There's one in every forum, I guess.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Back on topic, the US military has been using motorcycles from Hayes Diversified Technologies that have a diesel single.

www.hdtusa.com

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.