Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

Hell if Triumph can market and sell a 3 cyl 2.3 liter motorcycle why could'nt Honda do a nice little turbo diesel Goldwing. I would love to have one.

·
Registered
516 Posts
imported post

Not to be a nay-sayer but ...

The Goldwing is already too big and much to heavy. I've been hoping the redesign for 2010 will address this.

diesel would be great if they can get the perfromance without making the bike even more heavy.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

How about a plastic block with aluminum heads and magnesium exhaust manifold with t15 garrett turbo built in. Water cooled with built in cold air changer.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

I love the torque of a deisel-CC wise a lot on Deisel PU's ore less than 450 CI the equivelent gass in the same truck is usually 460 or better. The rattle- LI love it.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
imported post

Ran across some interesting facts on carengine weights. (without trans)

Toyota Corolla 1.8L @ 150#
Subaru 1.8L [email protected] 190#
Peugeot 204 (diesel) @ 272#
Mazda MX3 V6 2.5L at 160HP @ 320#
One Toyota straight 6 (complete gas engine) @ 176.65# www.toymods.net/mos/img/1G/1G%20engine%20weight.JPG

GL-1100 engine (about) 238#
GL-1500 engine (dry Clymer) 275#
GL-1800 ???#

Is a diesel feesable on a Wing?The 272 pound Peugeot 204says it is,add the trans weight (about) 68#,total about340#. . . . looks good.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

FM wrote:
Ran across some interesting facts on carengine weights. (without trans)

Peugeot 204 (diesel) @ 272#

GL-1100 engine (about) 238#
GL-1500 engine (dry Clymer) 275#
GL-1800 ???#

Is a diesel feesable on a Wing?The 272 pound Peugeot 204says it is,add the trans weight (about) 68#,total about340#. . . . looks good.
:cool:
These are interesting facts. Can you find a weight on the smart diesel engine?
3cyl, about 60HP(?)

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

There is a company in France that have a 2 litre turbo diesel engined bike and sidecar , the engine is oin the rear of the sidecar and the bike is just the fuel tank ,it has tiptronic gears and 2 wheel drive ,I have seen and travelled with a few of them ,Fantastic machine and super fast and steady .here is a link to their site ,they also do trikes ,in Petroll and diesel ..

http://www.side-bike.com/

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Somebody is already making diesel bikes I saw one at Barberfest last OCTOBER.
Called a "Neander " ,,,,:action: google diesel motorcycles , losts of info.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

picasso wrote:
Somebody is already making diesel bikes I saw one at Barberfest last OCTOBER.
Called a "Neander " ,,,,:action: google diesel motorcycles , losts of info.
Yeah, I know about that bike, but it is a little out of my price range. By about 40,000 bucks. :shock:

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

In Europe due to the very high taxes on fuel over the years, as all the Europeans on this forum will know, currently about £5.00/$7.5 per gallon in the UK, we have been forced to develop economical forms of transport i.e. small economical turbo diesel engines. The VW Golf DTI is allegedly faster than it's petrol/gas counterpart, therefore I think we do have the technology to develop a very lightweight powerful diesel.
BMW came in late with passenger car diesels but with advanced anti vibration damping, both internally and externally, so I think as they are motorbike manufacturers they will be the first to develop a really good diesel motorbike engine.
So there we are BMW develop an engine, Honda nick the technology, we have a diesel Goldwing.
After all that's where Honda got the shaft drive, from BMW who got the patent from Sunbeam Motorcycles UK. (Allegedly)
I got there in the end Dave...........

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
imported post

have to agree with the last post, this weekend we went away in the car for a weekend away in aberdeen, cheap room and keep off the motorway/dual carriageway, driving the Megane diesel 1.5 turbo I was letting the sat nav take us, after about 30 miles or so I happened to click thru the fuel computer settings, 72.7 mpg !!!!!! ok we had been nowhere near the national speed limit and we were using single track roads but still 72.7 mpg, at the end of the weekend that had fallen to 68.7mpg but still a credible figure and using cruise kept me legal, bored but legal

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
imported post

that picture has her as a dark metallic gunmetal grey, 2 years ago she was repainted to a green and blue two tone, never got round to changing the photo, just arattle can job but hey she is 28 year old and a bodyshop repaint would be more than she was worth

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
imported post

I know this is an old post, But,

A Diesel Bike done properly is very feasible. There are many Pros and much less cons @ 80-100 Miles Per Gallon.

The next time (This summer) gas goes way up, it will be at least $3.50/gallon for regular, some people are saying expect close to $4.00/gallon. This because We the USA have slowed way down, and practically stopped all production of oil, so more demand on foreign means higher gas prices.

There are about 5 good Diesel engine manufacturers. I good Japanese manufacturer is Kubota, they make a 1500cc Turbo Diesel engine.

Diesel engines in general put out much less Horsepower for a given size than a Gasoline engine.

But a Diesel's can produce a good amount of torque, and does it at a much lower RPM, than a gasoline engine would.

Kubota has a 1500cc turbo diesel engine puts out 45 H.p. & about 88 ft lbs of torque at 1800rpm @ 250 lbs.

Kubota also has a 2400cc Turbo Diesel 4 cylinder Engine with an output of only 59 h.p. but has good amount of torque @ 122 ft/lbs of Torque @ 1700 rpm, if that's not good enough to make you bells ring, it produces 114 ft lbs of torque at 1300rpm.

This engine may be better suited to a trike as the engine is heavy at 415 lbs

With that much torque at such a low rpm, you may be able to do burn outs right off the line, like a car, no holding the front brake, and you better hold on.

That torque is similar to a GL1800 at 125 ft lbs, but the GL1800 makes it's torque at 4000-rpm.

Think about 80 miles per gallon. If you used the same gas tank let call it a 6.0 gallon tank, that a Goldwing uses 6 gal. x 80 mpg = 480 miles per tank of fuel extended range.

vs about 220 miles per tank for a Gl1800

that' .09 cents per mile for Gasoline

vs .04 cents per gallon of Diesel

Even though Diesel cost a little more at the pump it is still much less, because the the technology more than doubles your range for the same amount of fuel

well thats enough on that subject

for right now anyway

westgl

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Here's one...........

http://www.dieselmotorfiets.nl/

Dutch built. Costs $24.000

A couple of years ago another dutch company tried a diesel sports bike with a Peugeot engine and turbo. Not sure what happened to that one.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Look on utube at the us miltary klr 650 I believe Marines are using them. Yes after watching I want one.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.