Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I can't count how many times I wished my Wing had a parking brake, But this last time really hurt, after a fantastic ride with friends on the Highway To The Sun Road in Montana we were coming back down and pulled over , as my wife got off I put down the side stand and got 3/4 the way off when the bike rolled forward off the side stand. There I was holding onto the brake and the leaning bike saying (OH S#&%)my how I wish there was a parking brake, you know like the ones they put on 4wheelers. Just had to say something because putting it in gear is not always a good idea if your faceing downhill relying on compression alone

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

This is not the correct forum for this idea, but here goes.

We carry a small bungee cord about 4" long, hook one end, loop the other. Hook the end of the lever, wind around and loop over the lever.

Hey presto, parking brake. These things are sold in the camping section, something to do with tents.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I think this is the right forum for this, Honda needs to address this so people do not feel compelled to use bungee cords to hold their investment in place, come on! a bungee cord.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

mountainman wrote:
come on! a bungee cord.
At least he's not using duct tape! :cheeky1::cheeky1:

Mike

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

wow, I didn't think of using duct tape. seriously though I was thinking about putting an in line brake lock device

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Mountain man, you have a parking brake. I used it all the time on my 1500. It's called 'Reverse'. Pull up on the lever and shut off the engine. Vola! Your baby isn't going anywhere.

For those of us with less technically advanced bikes like everything before 1988 and everything after 2000, we have to use the original standby - first gear. I don't shut off my engine when I'm parking, I put it in 1st gear and lower the sidestand and the engine dies Vola! your baby isn't going anywhere either.

Anyway, just my humble contribution to the cause until honda gives us a real parking brake.

Good riding!

daveo

·
Administrator
25,750 Posts
imported post

The 1800 also has that feature, push the button and it's locked solid until you turn it back on and hit the button again.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Daveogd430 - Yes, you are correct, however, my only concern is that if something happens to the electronics or the battery, you won't be able to move the bike without power to disengage the reverse. The 1500's lever was all manual control and didn't require any relays, switches or battery to operate.

Also parking on an incline isn't a good idea unless you are aiming the motorcycle in a neutral direction to mitigate the slope angle.

Up in the mountains, this can be very tricky, I did the same thing that mountainman described when I pulled over to take a picture in the Rockies, I was right on the side of the road, left engine idling in neutral. I thought I was on level ground, found out I wasn't when I left the bike right in front of me and it started to roll off the sidestand while I was taking a picture. I caught it, but just! Needless to say "Lesson learned" about reverse!

Ride safe!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

[blur]Parking brake?[/blur]
Just carry a 2x4, serves 2 purposes.
One as a sidestand support in soft earth, the other
through the spokes as your... [blur]Parking brake?[/blur]

Well a third for fending off Bears, (at halftime).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.