Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, just wondering how things are going with the frame recalls. Hopefully they are taking good care of your bikes and the frame cracking problems are being fully resolved for once and for all.

I keep dreaming about what it would be like to own a technical marvel like the beautiful GL1800, but, I still fret about that frame.

Has anyone got their bikeback from the recall fix so far and how has it turned out?

Vic

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Well my bike returned last week. I arranged to collect it yesterday as I was busy all during the week, but when I got up to Honda at 4pm yesterday (took us almost an hour to travel the 3 miles in a car in the Friday traffic) someone had mislaid the key of my Wing. After the apologies and frantic rooting for keys and not finding them, I told them I'd collect the bike on Monday instead and off we wet in the car.
Of course, as soon as I got home I had a phone call from Honda to say my key had been found. I wasn't keen on facing another hour in traffic so I'll pick the bike up on Monday morning.
At this point in time I have no idea what work (if any) was done on the frame and the PCV brake valve. I'll do this on Monday.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

As far as I know the recalls havent even gone out in the UK yet - well i am still waiting for mine to hit the door mat. Sods law will say they will want the bike he week we are due to go to Southern Ireland. I have my fingers crossed that it wont be that week

rgds

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Phil :waving: Rather than wait for UK Honda to call you, :clapper:it might be better for you to jump the gun :weightlifter:and contact them and tell them what times would suit you. :skipping:

:coollep::18red: :coollep:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Steve, you would think that they would have had the consideration to deliver your bike to you in the back of a truck since they are the ones who misplaced the key. What ever happened to customer service and satisfaction?

Anyway, looking forward to your post on what they did to your 1800 and if you are satisfied with it.

Vic

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Goldwinger1984 :waving:Yeah i could understand Honda Ireland treating an ordinary punter like that, :whip:but the wingnut is a director of this outfit. :weightlifter:

Knowing the way the wingnut thinks, he would not like to see his :18red: arriving at his garage on the back of a truck :crying:and if i had one i would feel the same. :crying:

:jumper::18red::jumper:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Just an update on this, forgot to do it during the week. Eric in Honda knows I wouldn't want my Wing delivered, they offered but I declined. They offered to collect it as well initially but I dropped it up myself. The less strangers riding my Wing the better is my motto.
Anyway, I collected it on Tuesday. They were unable to tell me if the frame had been welded. I lay on the ground and looked up, but the welds looked the same as in the photos I had taken before the bike went away for it's trip to Belgium. The screws holding the bellypan on hadn't been touched at all, this would have had to be removed for welding, but not for inspection. A phone call from Honda and a fax of paperwork confirmed that the frame didn't need welding as the existing welding is within the new spec (much to my surprise). The frame had been x-rayed in Belgium and no problems found. It's a pity that this check couldn't have been done over here, this would have avoided the trip to Belgium. Apparently, about 75% of the Wings sent to Belgium will need welding, the rest (like my own) have a sufficiently strong and thick weld already.
While my Wing was in Honda for the extra week after it's return, Eric had the brake PC valve replaced. I'd have preferred to fit it myself (like I did with the other warranty items, ie the ECM and trunk lock mechanism), but there you have it.
The upside is that there were no scratches, marks, dents or scuffs anywhere on the bike, also it came back with a full tank of petrol (it was less than quarter full when I left it up).
Overall, I have to say that Honda in Ballymount are handlingour bikes properly. They are packing & strapping them carefully onto platforms and padding them with foam in the container before shipping. They aren't taking any chances that our Wings will fall against one another and get damaged.I've seen the precautions they are taking and if any of the bikes come back damaged I'd say it's a fair assumption that it happened once the bikes left Honda Ireland.
That's my story, all done and dusted.:D

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
The less strangers riding my Wing the better is my motto.

The upside is that there were no scratches, marks, dents or scuffs anywhere on the bike, also it came back with a full tank of petrol (it was less than quarter full when I left it up).
Overall, I have to say that Honda in Ballymount are handlingour bikes properly.
Hey wingnut :waving: Glad that you got your :18red:back safe and tidy. :clapper:I hope my neighbours :18red:will be as well looked after if she is recalled. :stumped:I dont think his will come back full of petrol, :whip:but then he is not a director of Honda Ireland. :crying:Thank god your not my neighbour,I would not get to use your :18red::crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

That's great news Steve. It's also nice to hear that your Wing did not need any welding and that they were extremely cautious with your bike.

Are there any new identifying marks on the bike,visible to you, that denote the inspection procedure was performed by Honda?

Vic

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
That's great news Steve.  It's also nice to hear that your Wing did not need any welding and that they were extremely cautious with your bike.

Are there any new identifying marks on the bike, visible to you, that denote the inspection procedure was performed by Honda?

Vic
After the inspection and re-weld(if necessary)the tech's would have put a punch mark onto your VIN tag. At least this is how they're handling it here in N.America.

Mine was in two weeks ago for inspection, and passed.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Its great to hear that Honda is treating the Goldwings that require recall with respect. This of course would be better if they had made them properly in the first place:gunhead:

Another thing I would have thought with the service that Wingnut and Wexman provide to Goldwing riders by providing this forum, Honda would not only ensure that they get gold plated service but in fact get free service.

As a sales and marketing person if I represented Honda I would ensure that they always had the latest and greatest product. (BY GIVING IT TO THEM!!!)

I for one have found this website far more helpful than any Honda dealer:clapper::clapper::clapper:

Andrew

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
Another thing I would have thought with the service that Wingnut and Wexman provide to Goldwing riders by providing this forum.
I for one have found this website far more helpful than any Honda dealer:clapper:
Hey Andrew1 :waving:This great forum is provided by wingnut and wingnut only:clapper:

completely free of charge to all of us ungrateful sods.:skipping:wexman is a nice guy but he is the moderator of this site :crying:And just as stated by you, it's more helpful than any Honda stealer. :whip:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.