Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Family member just asked me if I would take a trip to Conneticut to pick this bike up. I copied and searched for the seller's comments and it appears it was listed in Hanson, MA and Milford CT (160 miles away). I know it's a scam but how do I prove it to them? I don't want to contact the seller as I don't want them to have my email address.

http://hansonma.global-free-classif...ng-se-25th-anniversary-edition-it1035353.html

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Each ad (found 3 of them) has a different price, thats how they keep track of communication.

All plates on bike and car are covered over. Generally not a tell sign, but most ads don't because the vehicles are out in public anyways, what difference does it make.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
As a side note, I have a made up name and GMail account for things like this. If my mailbox starts getting cluttered with spam, I just pick another name and Gmail account.......... Nice way to explore the internet without putting yourself out there.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I showed them that it was listed in Mass, Conn, and Iowa. Told him to send the seller an email asking for VIN # and telephone number. Also, told him to ask if a friend could stop by and check it out....with cash in hand. He hasn't heard back from the seller.

I think my family is convinced (hope so anyway).

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The price should be enough to convince them. DUH! Not going to happen in this life time.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
The price should enough to convince them. DUH! Not going to happen in this life time.

exactly ... that bike should be around 8k or better.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I would bet my pink slip on it...
You wear Pink Slips??

No wonder you don't get up on ladders...... And I thought it was because of your knee...........:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure they've figured it out as a scam now.

This is my sister and brother-in-law. I sold them my first 83I GL1100. He's been riding that and watching for the right deal on a 1500. Thursday night they purchased an extremely nice 2000 GL1500 at auction. 3433 actual miles. Auction listed it as "runs and drives". Unfortunately when we went to pick it up we found the battery wouldn't take any charge. It would run fine on the alternator but at least 3 of the battery cells were below 1/2 full. Also, when I took off the side cover to check the oil, I pushed on the rear brake pedal. Same thing when I reinstalled the side cover. That was just enough to reveal what I'm sure is a plugged return orifice on the rear master cylinder. We had it on the center stand, jump started it and I ran it up through the gears while idling. When hit 5th gear, the engine stalled. Rear brake was locked up tight. We ended up pushing it back in the building. They're working with the auction company to get some $$$ or have it fixed but even if we have to fix it ourselves it's still a great clean super low mileage bike.

Here's the auction link http://auction.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=1345211 In my past dealings with them they've been very good about working with dissatisfied buyers and I expect they'll be able to help recover some $$$ for the issues.

I was concerned the mileage might be wrong but after seeing it I'm sure it's correct. Only noticeable wear was on tires and rear brake caliper. I'm pretty convinced that the previous owner thought something was seriously wrong and decided to sell it at auction rather than get it fixed. The bike rolled around the auction house just fine until I hit the rear brake and it froze. It's been that way for a while to cause the wear on the rotor.

Fortunately with new tires, a battery and a master cylinder repair they'll have a brand new 2000 GL1500.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Wow, it still wasn't very cheap was it at $8200. That seems a bit pricey to me for an unknown condition, because you know you'll probably need tires, battery, very possibly brake rebuilds. So I guess they might have $9K into it before before they get it on the road. I still for the life of me can't figure why the original owner bought a nice piece of machinery like the 1500 and then never ride it and just let it sit. What a waste.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
In the future, if you want to contact them and not give them your email address, just create another email address to use exclusively to contact them with.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Hi All ,I am closing this thread now as there is nothing for sale in it and it is only bumping back to the top all the time and the for sale ads are sliding down the page , thankyou for your understanding ,, wexy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.