Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1985 LTD with the original cassette player, Does anyone know where I could find a CD player to fit in It's place? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i'm not knocking the cd player, but it would be easier to mount an mp3 player or ipod, and by using a cassette adapter you can use your own stereo to play it through

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure a CD player is available specifically for the 1200's, but if it is, it would be very expensive. As ******* mentioned, you would be far better off with an MP3 player. You can play hours, even days worth of music on one load and you won't have to worry about the CD skipping on rough roads. JMHO I have a little 2GB MP3 player that is splash/rain resistant, although this model doesn't seem to be available any longer. 2GB's holds several hundred songs and it will play all day on one AAA battery. Eventually I will have an IPOD with the motorcycle remote but for now this setup works great.

John

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Remember, removing the original radio you will lose the intercom function.

There isnt a CD player made to fit the 1200.

I have a Garmin NUVI 350 gps that has mp3 player function and I use an FM modulator to have the voice and music played over the 1200 ASpencade stock radio

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

When we went to San Francisco this summer I thought that my life long friend and wife could do with some music other than that offered by the stereo or tape deck en route and fitted an 8 gig Sansa Fuse. So we could both listen to it I fitted a Griffin fm modulator tuned into one of the lowest stations on the stereo, this was so we could also have the benefit of being able to talk on the intercom. It was ok but tended to drop out of frequency at times which was a bit annoying and fiddly to adjust. To be honest we listened to it more at the various hotels we stayed at when not watching the Olympics.

Ideally it would be fine for solo use with the ear phone fitted inside the helmet

As an aside the Fuse is quite a remarkable piece of technology. Partly the reason for the trip was to see my aunt, who I hadn't seen in 20 or so years. She is the last remaining member of my father's family of 13 siblings. My intention was to interview her without her realising I was recording her.

The fuse is about the size of a small cell phone 1 1/2" x 2 1/4" x 3/8ths" thick and she made little comment about it when I laid it on the table at a restaurent or her rest home. She talked for quite a while each day and I got about six hours of family history. The Sansa recorded really clearly even though she was 6 or seven feet away at times it was a crystal clear recording.

Just the other side of the coin

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Wingle wrote:
I fitted a Griffin fm modulator tuned into one of the lowest stations on the stereo, this was so we could also have the benefit of being able to talk on the intercom. It was ok but tended to drop out of frequency at times which was a bit annoying and fiddly to adjust.
That's why I opted for the cassette adapter for mine. I had heard of issues like this with the plug in FM modulators. Rudy uses a wired in modulator and loves it. The cassette adapter works fine for me though.

John

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I agree on the "no CD player made" comment. 1984 was the first year for a CD player available for car and the public was skeptical about it at first. I could see it being a while before it filtered into the motorcycle market. Now why they werent offered for the 1500's, not really sure, seems to be a no-brainer. I guess trying to keep water out, and skipping would be the primary factor.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

I've got a walkman style cd player on my 93 Interstate. All it came with was a am fm [that don't work] but came with a jack that plugs right in. I had to wire in a power source with a cigarette lighter plug into a fairing pocket, velcro the cd on the pocket cover and I'm in business. Know your 85 is different but something to think about.

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

396FISH wrote:
I've got a walkman style cd player on my 93 Interstate. All it came with was a am fm [that don't work] but came with a jack that plugs right in. I had to wire in a power source with a cigarette lighter plug into a fairing pocket, velcro the cd on the pocket cover and I'm in business. Know your 85 is different but something to think about.
I did the exact same thing on my 95 1500I. Works great except for occasional bumps can make it skip(cheap player). So I added a longer plug-in cord and just lay it on my lap when I'm on a rough road. Listened to it all the way from Michigan to Calhoun and back last summer without a problem. 2 AA batteries lasted all week. Total investment of less than $40. CHEAP IS GOOD!!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.