Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How can i tell if my 1997 1500se is an american or uk spec. the bike has front orange running lights in the indicators. The Honda dealer claims it is a uk spec and he supplied the bike to the first owner. I was stopped by the police and informed only white lights to the front other than indication, he then told me with some confidance that it was a USA spec. Who is correct?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

At least you bikes head lights should have E-approved sign there. US model has DOT-mark on head lights (or maybe in all lights).

I also had orange lights in indicators in my 1500, but it was connected by previous owner to get mode visibility.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If it has running lights then it's either Japanese or US spec. If you have a read of this article on this site you will see all the differences between US and UK bikes in the intro, http://www.goldwingfacts.com/fromthecrate.htm

BTW, You can just cut one of the wires in the turn signal bulb holders to disable the running lights.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

The big one on a US bike is the lights don't have an on-off switch, alsoa CB radio on a US SE model.

Japanese ones will have the light switch, but no CB (sometimes no intercoms either) and a radio that only goes to around 101 FM. Also the Japanese Wing (after about 1995) will have a wiper fitted.

The UK models are the same ones supplied to Ireland, also to the channel Islands.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

If a genuine Honda dealer states he supplied it from new and is telling you it is a UK model then it would most probably be a UK model. Genuine Honda dealers rarely import unless specifically asked as they can get better money for the UK model and a firmer warranty. Most imports in dealers would be second hand. There is a good possibility that the police officer was making an incorrect asumption when he saw the indicators on, as a lot of 1500 owners simply modified the indicators to stay on as running lights purely for the look when on light shows etc. The other clues given in previous posts should confirm that it is more than likely a UK spec. No factory fitted CB and CB switch gear it usually a fairly big clue. :)

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

If it has CB and the lower running lights stay on ,then it is almost certain to be US spec,,,,if not then it is uk ...I think ,but I am not 100% sure that there is a way of telling from the frame number ,,maybe some other tech head can clarify this ..I think this police man had nothing better to do with his time:( ...he must have been jealous :pcheers ....Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks ever one, i checked all your idea's they all check out to be a uk spec. with the exception of the indicators.

It must of been the first owner included the additional bulbs to the indicators, But how do we stand with the road traffic act by adding yellow light to the front of our bikes? The traffic pc did,nt make a big issue out of it, but stated only white light to the front. He did like the bike and kept me talking for 20 min's, better than a ticket if he was right.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Just snip the wire for the running bulb element and your problem is solved.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Amber or Yellow running lights to the front of any vehicle :gunhead: in Ireland or the UK is Illegal. :crying:end of story. :waving:The Police Officer was 100% correct.

:clapper: :18red: :clapper:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Amber or Yellow running lights to the front of any vehicle in Ireland or the UK is Illegal.

Are you sure they are illegal in Ireland Red? For years we were buying import bikes with the orange lights and were told it didn't matter about them. Even the bike shops often had notices up telling buyers that the orange lights were legal! :stumped:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:

Are you sure they are illegal in Ireland Red? For years we were buying import bikes with the orange lights and were told it didn't matter about them. Even the bike shops often had notices up telling buyers that the orange lights were legal! :stumped:

100% sure. :action:The shops were telling you wrong. :gunhead:There is no law that provides for amber or yellow running lights in this little country of ours.:pumpkin: Anyone buying a US spec :18red:would be obliged to disconnect the amber running indicator lights on that machine. :stumped:Visitors to Ireland from France where amber running lights are the norm and any other country where it applies would be exempt for the duration of their stay.:crying:The same kind of law also provides for illegal number plates :baffled:which some m/cycle ownersdisplayon their bikes, especially the plates imported from the US. :waving:

:clapper: :18red: :clapper:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Redwing is right about the lights over here. I don't think anyone ever got prosecuted for having the running lights connected here, even the cops see the value of extra lights on a bike and I don't think they are over-zealous about these small things as they have bigger things to worry about.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Skooter wrote:
Redwing is right about the lights over here. I don't think anyone ever got prosecuted for having the running lights connected here, even the cops see the value of extra lights on a bike and I don't think they are over-zealous about these small things as they have bigger things to worry about.
The only danger is :gunhead: if some cowboy would happen to collide with you, :pumpkin:they could always use the excuse in a court of law that they thought you were turning right or left because your amber lights were on. :stumped:It's difficult to call how the gentleman with the wig would decide. The safe bet is disconnect them. :clapper:No one has ever been prosecuted in an Irish court for this offence to date. :crying:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
The only danger is :gunhead: if some cowboy would happen to collide with you, :pumpkin:they could always use the excuse in a court of law that they thought you were turning right or left because your amber lights were on. :stumped:It's difficult to call how the gentleman with the wig would decide. The safe bet is disconnect them. :clapper:No one has ever been prosecuted in an Irish court for this offence to date. :crying:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

Well said Red! Most people leave them connected for the extra light, lets face it we need all the lights we can get on motorcycles and even then people get knocked off and the first excuse you hear from the person who hit you is "I didn't see him". Didn't bother to look more likely. A motorist caught in a corner after knocking a biker down might grasp at any straw, "I thought he was turning, his indicators are on" might be e likely excuse.

Tha Gardai turned a blind eye for years when absolutely tons of bikes and cars were arriving with orange running lights. Too many around to bother targetting anyone. Most of those imports are gone now and with the Yen so high thre won't be many vehicles arriving from Japan with those lights, so anyone that does have them will stick out like a sore thumb.

[align=center]Better to disconnect them.[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

englishted wrote:
If it has running lights then it's either Japanese or US spec. If you have a read of this article on this site you will see all the differences between US and UK bikes in the intro, http://www.goldwingfacts.com/fromthecrate.htm

BTW, You can just cut one of the wires in the turn signal bulb holders to disable the running lights.

Sorry to bring this one up again, but due to an electrical problem with the front running lights staying on, when they were switched by a button on the small left hand fairing panel, we have located a wireing loom for a cb unit, it was conveintally marked up by a previous owner on a peice of card, even though the head light lense are not marker DOT all the other lights are.

Can I clear this problem up once and for all by the frame number as wexman suggests, have i purchased a uk orUSA spec ?

Mike

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Can I clear this problem up once and for all by the frame number as wexman suggests, have i purchased a uk orUSA spec ?

Mike

Why not send a PM to the wingnut? He has all the frame/engine numbers and loads of other specs for all model years. Just don't expect a fast reply, he doesn't look in more than about once a week.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:

Mike
Just going by your signature, I'd have to say "If the Wing was exceptionally well maintained, it's probably a UK spec bike. We colonist can be awfully lazy at times. :action:
I much prefer riding, to washing/waxing... Good luck in your quest for a serious answer.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:

Mike

Why not send a PM to the wingnut? He has all the frame/engine numbers and loads of other specs for all model years. Just don't expect a fast reply, he doesn't look in more than about once a week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.