Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi,i just bought a 1984 honda goldwing standard off ebay. i was told it ran well and was taken care of,but now i am wondering.a lifter is leaking down sometimes and i was told it needed a stator installed. he sent two and told me both were good. how can i test them. i just sold a mint 1982 standard and i think i am feeling sick.. i believe i have been took, all i read about the 1200 is bad. help me if you can thank you hoghideman

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a poor-boy winter project...never worry about power again!

·
Administrator
26,530 Posts
imported post

Check with an OHM meter between all 3 wires, 3 combinations. All should have continuity. Don't remember how many OHMs and the book doesn't say. Also check all 3 wires to ground ( the part that the mounting screws go in ) should be no continuity. Might be a good idea to take it to an electric motor shop and have them test it with a megger just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

If the stator is out, or not running, you can try this, from Tricky, one of our members.

Alternator Stator Inspection
Remove the left side cover.
Disconnect the alternator and regulator/rectifier coupler.
Check for continuity between the leads, and between the leads and ground.
Replace the stator if there is no continuity between the leads, or if there is continuity between the leads and ground.

If you can get it running, try this, from the Bikers Workshop.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/GL1200Statortest.htm

I personally, like to keep my bikes stock, and the poor boy conversion does not interest me, IMHO.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hoghideman wrote:
i believe i have been took, all i read about the 1200 is bad. help me if you can thank you hoghideman
Hard to tell if you were 'took'. There are plenty of 1200s running well with satisfied owners. I had one, it was a great bike. True the stators failed more often than the 1000s or 1100s butto put it in perspective most of those failures took over twenty years to happen. I don't know that I'd put a used one in a bike, the amount of effort to do that just isn't worth it. The job isn't all that bad but a used stator might be on its last legs even if it checks out okay. Order a new one, you can find them for $130-150. Get the rear cover gaskets and change it out. I've ridden both the 1100 and 1200 standard and can say that they both were great bikes, pretty close in performance and a fun ride.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the "early 1200's" had quality issues with the stators, but those all failed 20 years ago and were replaced... as paul says, now any failure is due to age and, if not done, the pesky connector/plug from the stator

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.