Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it me or do you guy's over the other side of the pond suffer from realydirty fuel

Most ofthe threads I read seem to relate to carb rebuild's blocking filters dirt and water in the tank etc

over the years I've probably ridden/driven 1,000,000 miles or so and have never suffered from dirty fuel, I did 214,000 miles in one vehicle I owned (not all at once!) and only changed the filter because it fell apart through age.

Maybe your distributers and major oil companies need to be taken to task on this one after all it's you guy's that are spending the money on repairs!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I think a lot of it has to do with bikes sitting for extended periods and forming rust in the tank. Our gas stations are probably not the best either... much less government control than your side of the pond. Good and bad I guess.

I used to have a chevy pickup truck that has so much rust in the tank that I kept spare fuel filters and a screwdriver in the glovebox. Whenit started to lose power I'd simply pull over, change it, and be back on the road in 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

But thats just the point, I've owned bikes and three wheel carsof all ages, some have sat for years without moving. My current project is a 1982 works vehicle that has suffered it's fair share of abuse but it'sone of only 14 left in the world (and only 2 on the road). It has sat in a damp garage for 15 years but the tank is as clean as a whistle (ok so the rubber fuel lines had rotted) with a fresh gallon of fuel added to the stuff in the tank and a good shake of the car the engine started and ran with nofuel related problems.

Not once have I had a problem with rust in tanks, blocked fuel filters and dirty carbs

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
But thats just the point, I've owned bikes and three wheel carsof all ages, some have sat for years without moving. My current project is a 1982 works vehicle that has suffered it's fair share of abuse but it'sone of only 14 left in the world (and only 2 on the road). It has sat in a damp garage for 15 years but the tank is as clean as a whistle (ok so the rubber fuel lines had rotted) with a fresh gallon of fuel added to the stuff in the tank and a good shake of the car the engine started and ran with nofuel related problems.

Not once have I had a problem with rust in tanks, blocked fuel filters and dirty carbs
Maybe so... Iwonder if it has anything to do with unleaded gas for all these years (since the '70s). Didn't you guys go to unleaded gas in the mid to late '80s?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thats true, I think it was about 1982, although there is still enough demand(only just) to have pumps with Lead Replacement petrol(LRP) but these are fast becoming extinct.

So those of us that run older vehicles have to put an octane boost/lead replacement straight into the tank or spend a fortune getting hardened valve seats fitted.

I think that UK unleaded is of a higher octane rating than the stuff you get in the states, maybe this has the effect of keeping tanks water free/preventing rust, or our suppliers use better filtration at the storage facilities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.