Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Since i pulled the carbs to clean the jets my cruise turns on but it won't set.what's that thing with 2 wires going to it down by the carb throttle linkage? Going across country this summer and cruise control would be nice to have. thanks in advance. 1987 1200 aspy

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you pinched a wire and will be pulling some tupperware to have a look.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
imported post

Have you checked all of the switches,(front and rear brake,clutch,throttle)??
When my 87 Aspy has cruise problems it has always been one of the switches that were sticking. A little contact cleaner and good to go.

Hope this helps.:leprechaun:

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

jackinaz wrote:
.what's that thing with 2 wires going to it down by the carb throttle linkage?
That is a safety switch that will cancel the cruise if you turn the throttle back. It has to be connected and working for the cruise to set.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks very much to all of you.I'll tear into it again tomorrow and check all of your suggestions.I'll keep you updated on my progress. thanks again Jack

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

IT'S FIXED. It was the throttle roll off switch down by the carb linkage.It was stuck open so I played with it until I started getting voltage through it and it worked great all day. Now it's time to quiet down the valves; put on new timing belts and it's ready to travel. thanks guys! this a great forum. jack

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Only way to quite down the valves on a 1200, is to remove and bleed the hydraulic adjusters, there is a section in the shop manual that has a trouble shooting guide about noisy valves.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks for the heads up john.I would have been quite surprised and confused without your inputwhenI got the valve covers off.That "assuming thing" hasn't sunk in to me yet I guess.At 50 yrs. old I'm assuming it never will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.