Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was curious how fellow members found out about this fourm? Here my story. On my first ride with our local GWRRA I met Jluvs2dive, we chatted back and forth on the cb and he told me about this fourm that he belongs to, and that he was planing a trip to Georgia in September. We seem to have alot in common, our faith, and I also love to scuba dive. We live less than two miles apart and we both now ride 2000 SE 1500s'. A few weeks latter on anther ride together, we stoped off at a friend of his house. Thats when I met Paul (exavid) . Wow what a wealth of information. We hung out in his shop with about five goldwings in differnt stages of rebuild, and chatted. They were talking about the trip to Calhoun. This really got my attention. Ive' always wanted to go across country on my bike.The trips my wife and I take are usually 400 or less miles a day. I was ready for a long ride with the guys. It took me a month or so to get the nerve to ask my self along but finally did. I started checking out this site and signed up. Paul says to me when are you going to stop "lurking and sign up" Its been great ever since... Sorry sooo long. Greg

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

That's a great testimony, Greg. I think I found it on the net. (Google??) And, because of this forum, I've met a lot of people I never would have otherwise. Like yourself, Ubarw, Exavid, Jluvs2dive, JBZ, TDBieber, Axlewick, Gino, etc. Funny, I can't get hardly anyone in our club interested enough to join the forum. There's even a cpl. more close-by on the forum that are distant.:( And, where's Black Cade and Bob King??!! Anyway, it's been a great experience, helping, and meeting new people.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

well i got my first street bike (used to ride dirt bikes before the kids came along) not knowing anything about it (po didnt tell me much)i was googling to read up on maintainance , parts and stuff and i found this great site now its like a second family

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I always try to find some place to hang out with like minded motorcyclists for whatever I am riding at the time. I was part of the V-Star 1100 riders forum for well over 3 years. Once I got my 1200, I ran across the 1200riders I posted a few times there, but they took forever to respond to a question (lack of traffic maybe, dunno), anyways about the time I was thinking about a 1500, I found this place, and a lot of traffic here. Lots of good info in the help files etc. Ya'll gonna have to kick me outta here now, I'm hooked...

Thanks for ya'lls' (<---that's an official southern term there) wonderful forum...

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I ran across it after doing a google search. It was right after I bought my first wing, and was looking for a place to find maintenance tips and where to get parts. This has been a great place for information plus friendships!!

Hats off to Steve!!

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

My experience was googling for anything to do with golwings. I also have a very satisfying time spent on this site reading and posting with hellos basically but feeling part just the same. Happy Holidays all.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

This is an interesting thread, I don't think anyone thought of it before so well done Greg. I'll sticky it for a while, I might learn from it myself. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I was surfing as I needed some help on a bike project. I tried a few, I was checking this one out, when I wanted to ask a question about a post, so I had to register. I remember most when a moderator sent me a note that if I did not introduce myself, I would be erased (maybe not quite like that, but that is how I remember it), but I really wanted to ask the question. When I did the new member thing, I got a whole lot of people saying welcome to me. I thought wow, I never been anywhere where they took the time to do that. Then later when I got on line and responded to some posts, it was like, these are really knowledgeable and good people, the rest is history. I never went back to any of the other forums. I found myself wanting to ask and respond to different posts. Everyone here is for the lack of a better word, became anextended family, it dosn't matter what you do, rich or poor, everyone is treated the same, with respect. It took me a while to get into the "fun" forum, wasn't sure how to take that. But wow, it is exactly what it says, fun. I have learned so much from the Technical postings as well, someday perhaps I can respond better to this part of the forum. Another thing I've found here is a well run forum, kudos to all of you that take care of that. You don't find a lot of bikkering, fighting, or even slaming. There are differences of openion, as there always is, but again, it is dealt with in a humane way. I have said things here, that I have not even told by best of friends.

What ever it is your doing, you seem to have done it right. It is a lucky find.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I had been on a motorcycle trip with my sons and had borrowed by son's bike to ride. After spending time at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle camp that long weekend, I decided the wing was going to be my bike. Came back and googled goldwings and came up the the site. Read up on what to look for in a wing and went looking. Internet is a great thing

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
imported post

i started looking for goldwing forums just before i got my 1200 last year. i knew nothing about goldwings except how to ride them. now thanks to this and two other forums i am well aware of the workings of both my wings

·
Premium Member
55,641 Posts
imported post

I had a good information site for my ST 1100, but when I sold it and bought the Wing.. I started looking for a web site for general information..
what I found was the greatest site going.. This site has it all..
Being older and not that good at this new computer stuff, this site is very user friendly for a guy of my skill..
Great job Steve..
Thank you for putting together such a great information source..........

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
imported post

I bought my first bike about 5 years ago. It was an '81 Honda CX500C. I joined a CX/GL 500/650 called http://choppercharles.com/cs . It was a great forum with lots of information about those old transverse v-twins.

Two years ago, I left my job of over 11 years and planned a week long motorcycle trip of about 1550 miles. My dad had a '80 GL1100 Interstate. He told me to take it on the trip instead of my little 500. It would be more comfortable and have more storage room. I liked it so much, I bought it from him when I came back from the trip.

I had a problem with the rear shocks bottoming out and asked a question on the CX/GL forum. Someone there directed me here and I joined up.

Four Goldwings later, the rest is history!:)(and boy are y'all lucky!):cheeky1:

·
Administrator
20,568 Posts
imported post

You all can blame Patch for my presence here :shock:

I was looking for information on Goldwings when I stumbled across Patch's site. After talking to him by e-mail, I realized we lived about 10 miles from each other. We became friends, starting riding together, and he told me about this forum. I love it and you can't run me away from here!!! :D

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

I found it by looking for info on the 1100 right after I got my bike. I knew nothing about GoldWings except that I liked them. Now all I have to do to find out something is ask. Great people on this great forum. Thanks to everyone that has ever replied to any of my questions. Without this site I don't think my bike would still be running. Thanks again. Dwight

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Bought my first wing this past year. Started looking for information about the Goldwing I purchased. GOOGLE directed me here. At first I just read some of the information threads and then moved into other threads. Before long I found a 'FORUM' that I really enjoined reading and people who were involved with it that made me feel that 'THIS' was the place for me. So I joined. Haven't regretted it at all.

BEST FORUM ON THE 'NET' !!:goofygrin::clapper:

Thanks to Steve and everyone for allowing me to be a part of such a place.:bowing:

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

This is a great topic.

I found the site while searching yahoo for1100 Goldwing info before I bought my bike. I actually found the buyers guide first then got to reading the forums I think I actually joined the night I bought the bike.

I had no idea how truely great the people here were when I first joined but this is home to the best people on the net. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It was the great resource of technical information that first drew me to this forum . I had purchased a CB from a Salvage Yard and when it arrived all packed in the box with all the plastic peanuts, it was now what. !!:) I lurked around for a week or two, read the things I could find out about installing a CB as I had never done that before. Had no idea really, had no instructions just a few parts in a box. So with a few hints from this site I got it accomplished.

Along the way I for whatever reason would stop and say something about something or the other and one thing led to the other and I found that I would rather mess around on the forum than watch T.V.

And I will simply say it is the quality of the people that kept me. Participation on a forum in any great amount takes a bit of skill, knowledge of how to say things and a sense of humor and at times a thick skin.

I have also met and made some new friends due to the forum, so I think I will stick around.

Kit

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Thanks for starting this thread Greg. It's a good one I think.

I found the forum on either a Google or Yahoo search, don't recall which for sure. It was in October 2005, after I bought my first GoldWing, my 86 Apencade. I am a heavy Internet user and a bit of an information hound, so frequently go looking for info before and/or shortly after a purchase. I had some questions about my new ride and what a treasure this forum was and is. Besides all the help I've received here, I've made some great friends too.

Thanks again Steve for providing such a great place for us Wingers to get together. :clapper:

John

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I bought my 81 1100 as a basket case and started to reassemble her.

When I would run into issues I would Google for the answers. After a short while I noticed that the correct answer would almost be here on this forum. Then Ibookmarked this site and started coming here first. Of course I had to register and found that sometimes I could even answer someone Else's question and pay it forward.

The archives of this site is an unbelievable wealth of information. It's not just the facts and figures and how to's, Although that is all here as well, It's the hardwon information that can only be gained through millions of miles of experience. I'll bet evenMother Honda comes out here looking for answers.

Eventually I found myself coming hereto read the nontechnical posts and then of course I had to go to the Calhoun rally and meet all these wonderful people in person.

Now i can't go a day without checking in and seeing whats going on.

Peter

1 - 20 of 277 Posts