Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

Back in the early 70's, my Dad would bring Honda trail bikes home from Japan, he flew cargo jets(c-141's,later c-5's) to and from Vietnam, his buddies wanted them, and they would assemble them and ride them around, I wanted to ride one so bad, but I was too young. Got my 1st bike sping of 77', of course, a Honda xr 75, loved that bike, LOVED motocross, Bob Hannah, Mike Bell, Broc Glover, Danny LaPorte, etc... , these guys were my Idols!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

my marrage 5 years ago was on the BRINK of divorce the stress in my life was to intense it wasnt even funny my dad helped me buy my 1st bike a 2000 honda 750 shadow it had 5k on after 3 years of riding that i put another 40,000 on it now i have no stress my dad and i ride almost everyday its the purest feeling i could ever feel just riding down the road thinking of NOTHING just relaxing i ride to work and home everyday, and i tell ya its the same as doctors that go play golf or tennis after work to "wind down"
my stress level went from almost a failed marrage, and from what my doctor said a corinary too.

to almost none i never knew doing something so easy could feel so good.... lmao plus my wife doesnt put out very often so riding a bike is cheaper, easy as heck. and for some reason i dont hear my bike bitchin at me about anything lmao

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

In my 15 and 16yr old years day's I was into drag racing heavily on the streets. Had no license and never consider it. Never thought I would ever get caught. Bold, mouthy and knew everything. Got caught one night, tried to get away ending that night when I crashed through two police cars blocking my escape. If the fuel pump on the inner fender hadn't got tore off I may have made it. Well they suspended me getting my license for five yrs. Still drove every day and a friend told me to go out of town and write for my mc license. Passed and bought a Harley 250 sprint. practiced hard for two weeks and did the riding test. Sat in the licence office waiting for the bad news about the car suspension but got my mc license. Rode the bike every where in the nice weather and my old mans looking chevy in the bad. With three weeks before the end of my suspension I almost got caught again but thanks to the cb radio and friends watching found me a farm field to pull in and hide. Over the years I moved up in the bike sizes and in 84 bought my new Goldwing. Took off 6 months from work and rode it to the west coast of Canada, down the USA coast, cross the south to Florida. Spent time hanging there and went up the east coast to the Marintimes of Canada and back home. Sold the bike, settled down to family life and stock car racing. Won the champion ship in 98 sold the cars, hauller etc and bought the 86 1200. Sold it this spring and picked up the 1800 in the USA. The wife now rides so I got the best of both worlds and a clean drivers license too boot.:waving:

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

Parents both rode, and raced desert. Got my first bike for my 4th birthday, '74 Elsinore MR50. Never looked back. Still ride dirt and street today, but I have given up the racing......to old for that now.

Started my kids riding at an early age to........my daughter learned on my old MR50--grandpa found it buried in the garage and wrapped up in an old carpet. He put fresh rubber on it, cleaned the carb, changed the oil........and my daughter rode that bike for a year.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

My earliest experience of motorcycles and the like goes back to when I was 11 years oldand my uncle who was at one time the president of the Vespa owners club of GB used to take me for rides on his scooters.

When I was 15 a mate of mine's father had an old 50cc moped that he used to go to work and back each day, that he kept under an old tarpaulin in his back yard. When he went out drinking on a Friday and Saturday nights, we used to take it out and ride around on it for a couple of hours. We'd carefully cover it up again an hour or so before he was due home and he never noticed. He did complain that fuel consumption wasn't as good as it used to be, but we got away with it for years.

Another of my mates had a CZ175 and one day when out on this we took a sharp right hand bend at about 30 mph followed immediately by a sharp left. It was a wet road and he lost the back end. The bike went down, and hit a car coming in the other direction. He slid across the front of the car, I slid past the rear and we both got up with only minor scratches. a few bruises and ruined jeans and trainers. Neither of us were wearing helmets (you didn't need them back in those days).

My first owned bike didn't come along until I was 32. My wife took her car test and from that day on she suddenly needed the car every day and as I couldn't afford another car, a motorcycle it had to be. I bought a Honda CB125, passed my test that yearand then shortly afterbought a CX500 that I kept for seven years before falling in love with a GL1200. From there I bought one of the last 1500s and I now have a 600cc Suzuki Bandit to commute on.

Here endeth the lesson.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

My original interest in bikes was that the Honda 90T (that I worked off from a farmer) was the only means I had to escape the primary group on most free days. Plus I could afford the gas for it. Being still early in High School and not having the money or permission to get a car, the 90T was my best friend next to my dog.

Later bikes I liked best were the Honda 350-4 and now the best is the GL1500. It suits my riding style, carries me and everything else I want to haul. Plus it is bulletproof and is the envy of many who get a chance to enjoy it's good karma-like rays. It is ironic that it, again, shares the best financial bang for the buck for it's time and my needs, that my original 90T did.

I'll ride this one to the end of me, or it, or both. No need to look further when you already have the best. :waving:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

It's my pops fault, he had a 1965 Triumph TR6r which was great riding on the back. He allowed me to buy a 1965 Honda 50sport for my paper route a year later.

Once when his clutch cable broke, I learned how to shift with out a clutch when it happened to me on that honda 50.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Remember growing up in central Fla and seeing older kids with motorcycles and knew then that I wanted one. Was way to young to even think about it but when I was old enough I got one. First was and HD 50 cc, acutually a intalian import witha HD label, 50 cc with the clutch and shift on the hand grip. Next I got a Honda 90 rode tha til the engine froze, Yamaha 305m drove that from NY to Fla while in the Navy. After I got out had various bikea then wife and kids came and the bikes went. Then last year when my kids got HDs figured it was time again, but knew I wantes a wing, so I got the 84 1200 tha we have now, no looking back love it:action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

i have no recollection of a time before motorcycles.

mom's baby book states that my first words were "dada" and "honda", and not in that order. dad took mom out on his 305 when she was pregnant, so i think it's safe to say i've been riding all my life. when dad brought home a brand-spankin'-new CB750k0 and when mom flipped her lid, dad told her "it's not for me, it's for the boy." i remember sitting on the edge of the gas tank, feet on the cam cover, hanging onto the rise of the ape-hanger bars, as dad blasted down some country road out in the sticks. mom insists i was too young to remember those rides, but how could i forget?

fast forward 10 or 12 years...mom flew the coop, dad bought a wing. the 750 had been sitting for a few years, but was still as sexy as a stripper with her own liquer store. 16 inch FLH wheel with a Goodyear Super Eagle 100 on the back, full set of Hooker headers, red bodywork from a '75....she was Isis in chrome and candy red. i spent two weeks on the carbs, never having worked on anything more complex than a skateboard. when it fired, i think half the neighborhood cursed my father's name. an older friend of mine had some road-racing expierience, and i learned how to ride by following his kawi 750 around a 400 acre farm. dried stream beds, woods, plowed feilds, grass long enough to get lost in...he told me i couldn't ride on the street until i could pass him out in the boonies somewhere. it took me a few weeks, but the first time i passed him, (rear wheel hangin' out, and on the gas!) i just kept going - right out to the nearest paved road i could find, and well over 100 mph while i was at it!

i've seen a lot of bikes come and go since then, but i still have that old 750. she hasn't seen the road in a very long time, and unless i wake up some morning with more money than brains, most likely won't. then again, i did find the bike's original handle bars, and a set of hooker slip-ons out in the garage the other day...

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Someone traded me a 150cc WWII German army bike for some junk I didn't want anyway. I got it going about 43 years ago & have been hooked ever since.

Always had at least one bike since then & riding as much as 40k some years was common enough.

This year has probably been one of my lowest mileage years. :shakehead:

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
imported post

It was around 65-66 while walking to high-school. Once or twice a month I'd pass a beautiful BSA 650 Lightning parked on the sidewalk in our neighborhood. I finally mustered the courage to knock on the door and ask about the bike and it's owner. Turn-ed out to belong toa Marine Corp Sergeant stationed at Camp Lejuene,N.C. He was making it home as often as possible ,(really stretching the mileage limit for a three day pass), befor going over-seas. About 650 miles. I was hooked...

I bought a used Suzuki 250-Hustler in 68, graduated high-school in 69 and bought a new Triumph TR-650-C. Did a bit of hill climbing, then changed the knobbies for K-70's before going into the service. After basic training, my first duty staion was Langely AFB,Va. I made that trip homeseveral times before going over-seas. That was about 450/500 miles one way with a 2 1/2 gallon fuel tank. Also really stretching the mileage limit of a three-day pass. :D

I made it home from Viet Nam in one piece and have been riding ever since. The neighbor/owner of the Beezer never did... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

It would have to have started when we got our hands on this homebuilt scooter that was run by a Briggs and Stratton engine. Wore out several engines on that scooter. My cousin got a dirt bike and of course we were jeleous. Pop said no to one of our own but we did get to ride our cousins. That's when it really kicked in. We drag raced that dirtbike and our dads pickup up and down our runway until dad caught us, that was the end of riding the dirtbike.....:DAlways wanted a bike of my own especially after my older brother got him a nighthawk that was his daily driver, just about drowned the poor thing drooling over it. Now I have a Goldwing, the epitomy of motorcyles!

Life is good...............:action:

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Dad rode motorcycles, but not while I knew him. Mom would have a cow, so he settled for dirt bikes, although after he retired from the Utah Highway Patrol, we came to find out hesecretly alwayswanted to ride motorcycles instead of driving a patrol car. I honestly cant remember not being interested in motorcycles, even as a very young boy watching the bikes on the tv, I always wanted one. My older cousin get one for his birthday when I was 10 or 11, a 'brand new' 1970 Honda 70. It was the coolest bike I had ever seen, (previously the toat goat had those big goddy wheels that almost made it impossible to handle with that great big Briggs and Stratton 3.5 hp motor). A year or so latermy dad bought a Kawasaki 90, wow, mine was bigger than his. That started a competition that has lasted for 40 years, who had the biggest/baddest bike, we went throughHarley's Kawasaki's, Honda's Yamaha's, and on 1 occasion, a Norton750. (I could shoot myself for selling that one). But all along the way, I always knew I would end up on a Goldwing, from the first one I ever saw (or realized it was a Goldwing) I think I was riding the Norton at the time, Nope, it was a Honda 750-4.I think it was an 80 or 81, and Nothing on the road could compare to it as far as I was concerned, what a piece of work, My cousin told me, go ahead, buy one, it's an old man bike, So I didn't, but I knew someday I would.On to the 1500 pretty soon.

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

started with motor bikes; a bicycle frame with the post between the seat and crank housing cut away and a mounting plate U-bolted in place. (we didn't have a welder). belt drive with a rear wheel using front wheel off another bike and a pulley from a dryer attached by bolts and washers thru the spokes. engine from a horizontal shaft reel type lawn mower. The "Reo" engines were especially good.

belt drive
no clutch
no brakes (engine compression you know with tennis shoe assist)
run along side and jump on when the engine fired.
no throttle, steer with one hand and work the carb throttle with the other.

No one ever got killed (although in retrospect I have to wonder if my parents really loved me as riding one of those things was suicidal)

eventually we graduated to mini-bikes as we got old enough to have paper routes or other jobs that actually gave us spending money for hi tech items like throttle cables and clutches. actually had one mini-bike that would go almost 55 mph.

after all that the move to an actual motorcycle was a no brainer.

1st solo ride was on older sisters boyfriends Triumph Bonneville. still amazes me today that he let my 16 year old self ride it.

after that a long succession of bikes.

Still my favorite hobby.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I guess I got hooked on bikes when my Dad and my Uncle took us all to the bike races somewhere in Kansas. My Uncle was on his old Indian with his oldest son on the back and my Dad was on one of his Harleys with me on the back. Mom, my Aunt and the rest of the kids went in a car. What a day! I think I was 8 then. When I was 14, Dad gave me a Sears Alstate Compact 50cc scooter that I rode for 2 or 3 years. After that I rode various bikes, Honda 50's 90's, 305 dream, Suzuki GT550, Yamaha 750 Special, Honda 175, 125, 160, 750, Harley XLCH, and many more. I wanted a Gold Wing the first time I saw one, but didn't get one until 1987, a 78. I wrecked it in 89 and didn't ride again till 2003, when I bought a 76 and a 77 Gold Wing. I finally got the 76 running in 04, and have been riding it since. I still have the 77, but it's been used mostly for parts. I also have a 78 that I also ride. I like all bikes, but love the Gold Wing the most.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I was scared to ride motorcycles until I married Jeff. The first time I got on the back of his Honda Shadow with him, my fear just went away. Riding on the back with your husband is a wonderfully intimate thing--you lean together, smell the wonderful outdoor smells together. Each ride is a completely unique experience. One of the best things about our rides together is that we can say to each other, "Hey, remember that ride when we..."

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back on my own bike someday, but my riding experiences are just as good with Jeff, on whatever bike we choose.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

Dad had a beat-up Honda S90 upon which I liked to sit and fantasize. At about age 13 I had pestered him long enough to let me buy an old Rupp minibike. It took me about 2 summers to wear out the centrifugal clutch, but not before I had hurt myself a couple times on it. Mom wouldn't hear about my getting a MC after that.

Joined the Army in '78 and promptly bought the '75 550F in my sig. It was all over by then. I rode that thing all over the USA: GA to AZ, AZ to CA, CA to IN. Thought fairings were for wimps.

After a bit of aging, I've changed my position. I've had all sorts of bikes over the years and whatever it is about bikes that trips my trigger has changed a few times.

Dad never moved beyond the bike I thought was a monster back then. I think he's still got the S90 in box somewhere........

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

I started out as a young lad sitting cross legged on the gas tank in front of my dad. When I got old enough to hold on, I sat behind him on a Honda 750 Four with a Windjammer Faring. Still love that look. And will always remember those rides...

He got me a Honda QA 50 and I cleared a little oval track next to the house. I rode for hours and hours and hours. Loved it. From time to time, we would get a water hose, lay the open end down in one of the turns on the track, turn the water on and let it run for 20-30 minutes. Then have contests to see who could fly through that mud hole the fastest without wiping out. Or who could sling it sideways the best. What hoot!!

Later, parents divorced, my older brother gave me a Kawasaki 100 Enduro. I used to hook up with my friends and go riding local trails and tracks. Of course all my friends had RM 125s, YZ 250s, etc... but I don't care. I would come sliding through in a cloud of dust on my Kaw 100 with street/trail tires giv'n it hell!

Took several years off from the two wheelers. Went off to college, got a job, got married, had a family, got wrapped up in life and trying to get ahead (never did by the way).

My first big boy bike; a Honda 750 Nighthawk. Fun bike. Next, a Yamaha FJ1100. Now we're talking! I used to fly around with my hair on fire (oh yeah, that's where it went). Fast bike. Not quick by today's standards but fast. I know for a fact it would do at least 155... ;)

Took another few years off until... GOLDWING TIME!!! And lov'n it!

Back in the saddle again.... :action:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

OK .....I got the fever when I was about 12 years old , cousins of mine had a Cushman that the engine was had their dad put a 3 hp Briggs lawn mower engine on it...Had to push start it with clothes pins in the clutch, the rope started was broke...

Then went I turned 15 I bought my first Cushman, and too many more different scooters to count...I think at one time I had bought, rebuilt, and sold over 50 motor scooters.....Some I regret ever selling because of the dollars they worth today.Owned for two weeks a 1952 Indian Chief, parents caught me made me take back and get my money back...Belonged to the Chief Of Police in my town, he didn't know I had bought it and my parents didn't approve....

After my US Navy tour I bought a 650 BSA lighting...threw a rod racing it, sold it to BSA dealer as a parts bike....Got married had three children didn't give up on wanting a new bike...Then in 1977 I bought a GT-550 Suzuki, rode it a bunch of miles..Then it got to be too small for me and my wife so my adopted uncle, who was a big Harley fan, took me to the Harley, Honda, Suzuki dealer....I looked at all the bikes there and came close to buying a new 1978 Harley Classic...But over in the corner of the sales room was a GS-1000 Suzuki all dressed out in Vetter stuff....They didn't seem interested in selling a bike so we left, but that Suzuki stuck in my mind, yeah they had some Gold Wings too but who wanted a water cooled bike then????

Three days later I called another Suzuki dealer and he didn't have a GS-1000 left in the color I wanted, but said he would look for me one...That afternoon he called back said if I wanted that GS he found in the color I wanted come on it...Saturday morning I showed up money in hand and helped unload my Suzuki, still in the crate....We rode that Suzuki for over 100,000 miles before I parked it......I had re-hurt a back injury and it hurt me to ride that Suzuki....So I put it storage thinking that one day soon I could ride it again, but to restore it was going to cost me about $2,500.00...I still have that old Suzuki.....

Christmas of 2007 my wife caved in and bought me my first ever Gold Wing...A dear friend of mine was going to fly down here take me to the Harley dealer ship and buy me a 2007 Ultra Classic....He had received a rather huge insurance settlement....My wife threw a fit thinking I was going to get a Harley....I should have gotten a new Wing then, but told my friend to spend his money on himself and his family....

Some members know the problems I have been "blessed " with over the past year or more...Then last month things are looking up my Wing is running great, then I find that stator bolt laying on the frame????? $150.00 bucks later I'm ready to pull the engine, but while at that salvage yard I found My "New" wing....Yes it does have minor things to be done after setting up since 1985 but I have gotten it out and rode in in my neighborhood on 28 year old tires....:shock:...Factory original tires....I'm looking forward to many many happy miles on my wings, but it has been a fight so far....this is my story as long as it may be on How I got hooked and why at my age I'm going to try it again....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

I'd love to tell my story, but y'all already have! ;)

DW :18white:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.