Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Motorcycles were always for someone else. I was too practical. My brother had a Suzuki 250 way back in the late 60s and I rode it a little bit. It was fun, but I had just married and my wife loved to water-ski, so our first "funvestment" was a ski boat. My brother got a 650 Yamaha not much later and I rode it a little bit as well.

Fast forward to 2006 (the years have a way of slipping away). Huge gasoline bills for my Dodge pickup was the excuse I gave my wife for taking the MSF basic course with my son. I wanted to take the course to see if, at age 62, I could still ride, and if I could, I needed to know how to do it safely. Two days in the MSF class and I was hooked. I bought a new Suzuki Boulevard C50C and loved it. My wife started riding 2 up with me, but on medium length trips, her legs would bother her because of the tall position of the passenger footpegs (then later floorboards).

I'm 65 now and thinking about retiring. I love biking and hope to travel some when I retire. I wanted something comfortable for both of us, so I got a demo drive on a 2008 1800. I had been warned that I needed to be serious when I tried one out, because I'd have to have it. They were so right.

Admittedly, I don't have much of a base of experience to compare which bikes really turn me on, but I love my Wing. Of course I loved my Zuki too. But I think the 1800 is an amazing machine -- smooth as butter, refined, well behaved, and like an easy chair on wheels, but with more power than most folks will ever need.

I started late, but I'm glad I started. Hope I can keep riding well into the future.

mike

·
WingRider51
5 Posts
imported post

Hi All,
New menber for the most part, at least my first post. Dad was a Detroit Motorcycle Cop for a couple years, but I wasn't born yet. Guess thats where I get the bug from. It wasn't until I joined the Navy (1973) that I got the chance to ride for the first time. Camping with some freinds in Northern California in Oct, one of them brought his chopper (type I am not sure of) and on the ride back to San Francisco it was very cold with rain/snow for the first part of the trip back. We all took turns riding for a few miles. Nearly froze my fingers off, but the bug had been awakened.
Several months later I was transfered to Long Beach and my best freind had purchased a new CB750-4. He talked me into buying a cycle too, 1970 CL450. Next 5 years it was my only transportation. Up and down the Coast Hwy 1 many times. Rebuilt the engine once and ran it till it died.

Back to 4 wheel vehicles for a while. New 1978 Fiat Sport Spider, Jet black, red pin stripes, red leather interior, convertable....can we say next best thing to a bike. Then kids and family took precidence, until May 2009. Kids gone bills paid, some free time. $3.50 gal for gas. Truck was sucking too much.

Bought a 1983 GL1100 Interstate for driving to work. A dream fulfilled.

Then Low and behold a miricle happened, my wife wanted to ride along. Anybody else have a wife that leaves hand indentations in the passanger armrests of a car, due to not being the one in control of the vehicle while you are driving? I never in my wildest dreams would have believed she would get on the back of the Wing and ride. But miracles DO happen!!!
Fist around the block, then around the neighborhood, then down to the park, and then "The Galaxy and Beyond" to use a phrase form another story.

At that point the 1100 was lacking in power for my liking with both of us on it, so I traded the 1100 in and am now the proud owner of a new 2008 GL1800P Pearl White Goldwing. We both now look forward to many years of Cruising to wherever.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.